What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Cato, akebergv and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Locatelli

L'Arte del Violino,Op.3

CD 1    Concerto 1-2-3 & 4

Karl Henning

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 21, 2021, 12:37:38 AM
I've been embarking on an Elgar Odyssey.

Du Pré's Cello Concerto was followed by Nigel Kennedy's second rcording of the Violin Concerto with Simon Rattle. It was his frst recording that put him on the map and his second seems to have divided opinion. He and Rattle adopt quite expansive tempi, but I like this recording and the Vaughan-Williams is wonderfully rapt.

Barbirolli is often my guide in Elgar (as he was in Du Pré's Cello Concerto), as also in Vaughan-Williams, and this disc is an absolute classic, which has rarely been out of the catalogue For this issue, EMI added Elgar's Elegy and Sospiri, one of the most heartbreaking five minutes in all of music. A wonderful disc.

Love that Kennedy/Rattle disc. Bought it at a still-working B & N
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

CD 30:

"Wolferl"

Serenade in Bb Gran Partita, K. 361 (370a)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 21, 2021, 07:35:54 AM
Morning listening

I may go back and listen to this again. I really enjoyed it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 21, 2021, 11:14:32 AM
I may go back and listen to this again. I really enjoyed it.

That can be said of most of that set, including the Haydn (which I warmed to as I went along).

Meanwhile, this afternoon an operatic rarity.

The above is not the issue I'm listening to, but is the only Amazon listing that has an image with singers and performance details.  The one I am listening to is an Opera d'Oro release (with reasonably good sonics) that is listed here with no image.
[Asin]B00000IGR5[/asin]
Since it's Opera d'Oro, there's no libretto. Reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, that may be a good thing. The plot is wildly unhistorical (Philip Augustus gets himself killed in a duel while pretending to be the Duke of Burgundy on an embassy to the Holy Roman Emperor) but the music is well handled. There are no bel canto fireworks (the opera was composed for the 1830s Prussian court) but a good deal of melodies and ensemble singing. Think Rienzi (Wagner admired Spontini's operas, so it's probably no coincidence.) By necessity the performance is heavily cut; the original supposedly ran over four hours.

As an alternate to this performance, the only option is a recording from the 1954 Maggio Musicale Fiorentino under Vittorio Gui with Corelli and Udovick, of which several versions seem to be available.  This 1970 performance seems to be harder to find. The one to which the image belongs is labelled "currently unavailable".
I remember seeing a listing for a Myto issue but can't locate it now, and there don't seem to be any other options.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 21, 2021, 11:58:26 AM
That can be said of most of that set, including the Haydn (which I warmed to as I went along).

Very true.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Quote from: JBS on September 21, 2021, 11:58:26 AM

Meanwhile, this afternoon an operatic rarity.

The above is not the issue I'm listening to, but is the only Amazon listing that has an image with singers and performance details.  The one I am listening to is an Opera d'Oro release (with reasonably good sonics) that is listed here with no image.
Since it's Opera d'Oro, there's no libretto. Reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, that may be a good thing. The plot is wildly unhistorical (Philip Augustus gets himself killed in a duel while pretending to be the Duke of Burgundy on an embassy to the Holy Roman Emperor) but the music is well handled. There are no bel canto fireworks (the opera was composed for the 1830s Prussian court) but a good deal of melodies and ensemble singing. Think Rienzi (Wagner admired Spontini's operas, so it's probably no coincidence.) By necessity the performance is heavily cut; the original supposedly ran over four hours.

As an alternate to this performance, the only option is a recording from the 1954 Maggio Musicale Fiorentino under Vittorio Gui with Corelli and Udovick, of which several versions seem to be available.  This 1970 performance seems to be harder to find. The one to which the image belongs is labelled "currently unavailable".
I remember seeing a listing for a Myto issue but can't locate it now, and there don't seem to be any other options.
A most interesting opera, jbs. I do not know the Muti recording, only the earlier Vittorio Gui (which I could buy I it's "oficial" release on the Maggio Musicale's house label):

Unfortunately, the only revival in living history in the original German, in Erfurt 3 years ago as reported here, seems not to have been commercially filmed or recorded.

THREAD DUTY:

Giuseppe Sinopoli conducts Sylvano Bussotti's Bergkristall and Lorenzaccio Sumphony (North German Radio Symphony Orchestra).

Two really captivating scores. AFAIK, these were the first recordings ever released of Sinopoli as a conductor.

André

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 21, 2021, 06:30:20 AM
Returned to the Weinberg Chamber Symphony No 3 in this recording, by the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin

A world of difference from the Naxos recording, which I found extremely unsatisfying. The final movement, in particular, came to life in this recording. It alternates between a jaunty andantino melody and what sound like a slightly off-kilter hymn tune.

This is an excellent disc. I was surprised at how negative your feelings were about that 3rd chamber symphony. My own recollection was more positive  :). For the 2nd chamber symphony the Olympia disc is perfect IMO - coupled with the 2nd symphony (check under Vainberg, not Weinberg).

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
Symphony 5 in D 'Reformation', op. 107

Boston SO - Charles Munch
(rec. 1957)

Finishing off Mendelssohn's symphonies. I used to think the Reformation Sym. was a bit stuffy, but I kinda dig it. Maybe Munch helps in that respect, as he doesn't handle Mendelssohn with a velvet glove.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

André

K387 (my favourite among the 'Haydn quartets'). Compared to the Berg and Talich Quartets I prefer the Juilliards' tempi throughout: animated, even zippy, they never dawdle. The flip side is that they don't smell the flowers, which can be nice sometimes. Also, their trademark plain yogurt tones may sound a bit tart sometimes. Still, I think I'd choose them over the others for most listening sessions.

classicalgeek

This morning, Poulenc (and others) on Spotify:

And the complete 'Les Biches' from this disc:

Uniformly delightful.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

André

André

Bachtoven

Symphony 5, The Swan of Tuonela, and Tapiola--all are excellent.

JBS

Seventy one minutes and twentynine seconds of beautiful music

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Busy day at work. This afternoon, sampled another Bernstein Serenade from this disc (on Spotify):

Nearly as good as Hahn/Zinman! Gluzman/Neschling bring a raw excitement to the performance; I think I slightly prefer Hahn's razor-sharp playing, which is thrilling in its own right, but Gluzman has *a lot* going for him. I would definitely want to have both of these recordings.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Having my 65 birthday today I expect all kind of freebees in the form of music played today which I like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At my home there stands a big box from JPC which my wife and friends ordered, really huge, so I will report later whats in it. ::) ::) ::) ::)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on September 21, 2021, 10:34:05 PM
Having my 65 birthday today I expect all kind of freebees in the form of music played today which I like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At my home there stands a big box from JPC which my wife and friends ordered, really huge, so I will report later whats in it. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Congratulations, Harry:)

Enjoy your day, and the huge box from jpc... :D

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 21, 2021, 10:37:14 PM
Congratulations, Harry:)

Enjoy your day, and the huge box from jpc... :D

Thanks Que, I will :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on September 21, 2021, 10:34:05 PM
Happy Birthday Harry!
Enjoy the box and have a good day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).