What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Ladies Night.

Works for Violin and Piano.

Amy Beach.
Luise Adolpha le Beau.
Pauline Viardot-Garcia.
Amanda Rontgen Maier.
Maria-Theresia Paradies.
Dora Pejacevic.

Thomas Irnberger, Violin.
Barbara Moser, Piano.

I have a whole bunch of CD"s from this series, and I love every one to bits. The quality of the music by these female composers is so high, that it keeps amazing me, why they were so long buried under the vigilant eyes of men, which did not think it worthwhile to publish them. If you start with the first item on this disc, a piece by Amy Beach, first movement of a Sonata in A major, opus 34, it hits you right away, sublimely composed, and that goes on in every piece as long as the disc is. Add to that the committed performances and wonderful sound, and it stands to reason that this disc should be in every collection. I already played every disc in this series more than 5 times, and still its not enough. I think I am hooked stock and barrel. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on September 22, 2021, 01:45:47 PM
And now to the unpacking of the large and heavy parcel from JPC and countless other suppliers. They took a list from my computer which I had carefully hidden, but not good enough. It was my list with all the ballets on Bluray discs that I wanted to buy, plus the ones that where only available on DVD and were essential to me. On this list were 108 items, and they were in that box. Can you imagine my surprise.
I am very happy with them though. And now find the time to watch them all, O, boy!
Thank you all for the Birthday wishes, they were well appreciated, be sure of that!
Wow, 108 DVDs and Blurays for your birthday?!  What a generous and thoughtful wife and friends!  Lucky you!  And that should keep you busy for some time.

Hope that you enjoyed your big day.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 23, 2021, 04:13:56 AM
Wow, 108 DVDs and Blurays for your birthday?!  What a generous and thoughtful wife and friends!  Lucky you!  And that should keep you busy for some time.

Hope that you enjoyed your big day.   :)

PD

Yes PD by and large I enjoyed it. In the early afternoon I had to support an old friend undergoing a by pass operation after a infarct, that took about four hours, but when they put him in a induced sleep I left the hospital.
I have a few good friends and a thoughtful wife, true, this friend was the one that found most of the DVD's. He could not attend my birthday, so I attended his operation.

Harry

Richard Wagner.

The Ring, an Orchestral Adventure, arranged by Henk de Vlieger.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi.
SACD recording 2007.

A fine performance. The SACD adds clarity and a more open sound picture, but not as much as I expected. This is the only way I can enjoy Wagner.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on September 23, 2021, 03:27:16 AM
On Spotify:

Quantz is good. And I love Potsdam and Sanssouci, recently spent 3 days there (in August).

Traverso

Beethoven

Violin Concerto

Henryk Szering violin
London Symphony Orchestra
Hans Schmidt Isserstedt

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on September 23, 2021, 04:23:14 AM
Yes PD by and large I enjoyed it. In the early afternoon I had to support an old friend undergoing a by pass operation after a infarct, that took about four hours, but when they put him in a induced sleep I left the hospital.
I have a few good friends and a thoughtful wife, true, this friend was the one that found most of the DVD's. He could not attend my birthday, so I attended his operation.
Well, that was good of you to be there; I'm sure that he appreciated the support.  Perhaps whilst he's recovering from the surgery, you could bring over some of your new DVDs and watch them together (when he's feeling up to it)?

Trying to figure out what to start with listening-wise this morning...still working on morning coffee at the moment.

PD

p.s.  I trust that they didn't gift wrap each one separately?  ;D ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

The new erato

Beethoven op 59/3 and 74 from this set:

And yesterday I played Haydns op 54 from the same set (an LP of this was some of the very first Haydn quartets I owned).

All very fine IMO.

kyjo

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 21, 2021, 06:03:47 AM
Walter Piston
Symphonies 2 and 6
Gerald Schwarz
Seattle Symphony Orchestra

Piston's #2 is rightly lauded as being the raison d'ĂȘtre of this disc, but I have to confess that today it is #6 that really grabs me here. I much prefer the more modern recording over the Gauk with the Moscow RSO.

This is fine music.

His two finest symphonies IMO. No. 4 is very good too.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: "Harry" on September 21, 2021, 06:13:51 AM
Joachim Raff.

Symphony No. 2, opus 140.
Overtures.

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neeme Jarvi.

Excellent performances and recording. It does not wholly surpass Stadlmair on Tudor, but it has its own qualities. Love both interpretations. Stadlmair is complete, Jarvi never will meet completion.

A superbly enjoyable disc! I hope Jarvi records more Raff soon, but I'm not holding my breath...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Harry

Georg Philipp Telemann.

The grand Concertos for Mixed instruments, Volume III.

La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

Absolutely fabulous. Every concerto in this set is a gem. It is so well crafted and sublimely engineered, that Telemann is raised high in the sky with the greats. He is constantly pushing barriers and so develops his genius further. 

Spotted Horses

Backtracking to the first Chamber symphony, this time in the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin recording. A very engaging and interesting piece. In this case both this recording and the Naxos recording were pleasing.

Anyone heard the Kremer recordings of this music on ECM?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on September 23, 2021, 06:24:06 AM
Georg Philipp Telemann.

The grand Concertos for Mixed instruments, Volume III.

La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

Absolutely fabulous. Every concerto in this set is a gem. It is so well crafted and sublimely engineered, that Telemann is raised high in the sky with the greats. He is constantly pushing barriers and so develops his genius further.

I do think these recordings revindicate Telemann, and reveal him as a highly inventive and original composer. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Penderecki's third symphony for this CD:

Wow!  Quite powerful, at times shocking and enthralling.  Very dramatic at times...sometimes in a rather dark/troublesome/or evil way.  A couple of things that struck me:  at around roughly 6 minutes into the Allegro con brio movement (the second), the music reminded me of something from Peter Grimes.  The last (fifth) movement at times made me think of Stravinsky's the Rite of Spring.  Lovely adagio (third movement) too.

This symphony was written much later in his life than from what I understand was his earlier more experimental/very contemporary phase (which I have yet to hear much of but hope to also explore).  A quote from him in the liner notes:  "Today, having gone through the post-Romantic lesson, and having exhausted the potential of postmodern thinking, I see my artistic ideal in 'claritas' (1997).

Will check out the other three works on it in a bit.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Well, much of this month, I've been going through my 'Early Music' sub-collection, just finished the section on composer listings, now on a smaller section on 'compilations' - been mainly posting in the the early music thread, but below some up for a morning listen - Dave :)

Papy Oli

Finishing this week's cantatas.

BWV 8 & BWV 27 were two new gorgeous discoveries.

BWV 95 contains one of my favourite imprinted passages to date, when I was randomly starting to listen to the cantatas a few months ago: "Ach, Schlage Doch bald"

[/quote]
Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 23, 2021, 07:27:01 AM
Penderecki's third symphony for this CD:

Wow!  Quite powerful, at times shocking and enthralling.  Very dramatic at times...sometimes in a rather dark/troublesome/or evil way.  A couple of things that struck me:  at around roughly 6 minutes into the Allegro con brio movement (the second), the music reminded me of something from Peter Grimes.  The last (fifth) movement at times made me think of Stravinsky's the Rite of Spring.  Lovely adagio (third movement) too.

PD

I'm listening to it now as well, same disc.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 23, 2021, 08:11:57 AM
I'm listening to it now as well, same disc.
Oh, nice!

I just finished it here; alas there was damage to the CD, so I'll have to listen to the Fluorescences elsewhere.  The Threnody and the De Natura (II) were quite interesting and I imagine that they caused a bit of a stir at the time when they were first performed.  I can see why his music has been used in films before:  it's certainly very mood-evocative...kind of creepy at times..jarring...not certain what's-around-the-corner kind of feeling if this makes sense?

What did you make of it ON?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 23, 2021, 09:17:56 AM
Oh, nice!

I just finished it here; alas there was damage to the CD, so I'll have to listen to the Fluorescences elsewhere.  The Threnody and the De Natura (II) were quite interesting and I imagine that they caused a bit of a stir at the time when they were first performed.  I can see why his music has been used in films before:  it's certainly very mood-evocative...kind of creepy at times..jarring...not certain what's-around-the-corner kind of feeling if this makes sense?

What did you make of it ON?

PD

Well, for much of the earlier avant-garde Penderecki or pre 1973, I do have to be in the right mood or frame of mind to listen. Not alone in the dark at night with the lights off.  :D

I find his vocal choral works from that era more easily digestible than the pure instrumental works.

However, I find this era of his music truly unique and fascinating. Like the first String quartet as an example, the more I listen to it, the more I can actually follow it in a logical fashion. I think Threnody is truly a marvelous piece!

Sorry to hear about the botched CD.  :'(