What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

Quote from: Traverso on September 23, 2021, 09:50:16 AM
Bax

Symphony 5 & 4

I love the Bax orchestral music! No. 4 is probably my favorite symphony, especially the first movement. I really like how he uses the organ!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Glagolitic Mass

An exceptional composition. This could be an unpopular opinion, but the vocal parts in this work don't sound fluent, but rather forced. I could do it without the soloists to be honest.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Artem

An evolving string quartet of almost Feldmanesque proportions, 58 minutes long, but it loses itself over time, unfortunately.

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on September 23, 2021, 10:41:40 PM
An evolving string quartet of almost Feldmanesque proportions, 58 minutes long, but it loses itself over time, unfortunately.

He's one of my favourite composers.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2021, 01:37:28 PM
I'll raise the stakes with this

I'll check it out!  :) 

On the Binchois/Lesné: I understand the temptation of turning this into soaring, angelic sublimity, and in a way it sounds appealing. But it robs the music of its character, its face , its original message and expression. And the result becomes generic: you could perform any Early Music like this and run an Ayurvedic meditation center....

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

This music by Balduin Hoyoul, pupil of Lassus, sounds very worthwhile indeed!
But there is a (serious) countertenor issue...  ???
That basically ruins the appeal of this recording  for me, which is a big pity.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2021, 06:28:03 PM
Yes. It must be the only recording of a mass by Binchois. I appreciate it because it is so vigorous and iconoclastic by today's standards - the percussion in the Sanctus for example. Not the slightest hint of solemnity or reverence anywhere.

Listening to this - beautiful Kyrie, maybe the most beautiful performance of a Dufay Kyrie I can remember

One of my first Dufay LPs. Rather opulent IIRC.

Tsaraslondon

Two patriotic choral works from Elgar, the latter more reflective. Teresa Cahill is the absolutely splendid soaring soprano. Great performances of both works under Sir Alexander Gibson.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 24, 2021, 12:35:08 AM
I'll check it out!  :) 

On the Binchois/Lesné: I understand the temptation of turning this into soaring, angelic sublimity, and in a way it sounds appealing. But it robs the music of its character, its face

In fact I find the music in the hands of Lesné less anonymous than the chansons in the hands of Vellard. I'm very fond of the Lesné CD in fact. We're a bit short of recordings with large amounts of Binchois's sacred music, so it's quite hard for me to say how it would come out if it were given the sort of treatment that Cinquecento or Capella Pratensis do. It would sound like all the other stuff they do I guess.

It's good to have some sort of access to this rare music, and on the whole I prefer high voices to low I think, so I'm not complaining.

Listening to this, by the way. I think this is your sort of thing, que

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 24, 2021, 12:46:57 AM
Morning listening on Spotify:

This music by Balduin Hoyoul, pupil of Lassus, sounds very worthwhile indeed!

Counter tenors are a scourge these days, I hardly encounter a CD on which they do not have a screeching males predominantly spoiling and robing the music of its magic. The new Graindelavoix keeps it barely within the parameters I need, to accept a counter, but still, I buy less and less Renaissance music because of this issue.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Artem

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2021, 12:12:53 AM
He's one of my favourite composers.
I'm definitely intrigued by his style. I just wasn't feeling that specific quartet this morning. Do you have a favourite composition or disk by Brass?

Mandryka

Quote from: Artem on September 24, 2021, 01:24:26 AM
I'm definitely intrigued by his style. I just wasn't feeling that specific quartet this morning. Do you have a favourite composition or disk by Brass?

Yes, there's a Cd of solo music and duos called Songlines. But this may just reflect my interest in music for solo string instruments. The long 4th quartet is probably too long for home listening, I take it in sections!

I think he's connected in some way with Wandelweiser.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 23, 2021, 08:03:31 PM
Glagolitic Mass

An exceptional composition. This could be an unpopular opinion, but the vocal parts in this work don't sound fluent, but rather forced. I could do it without the soloists to be honest.

Must admit, I don't often listen to this mass--as much as I love Janacek's music.  Wonder if you might prefer one of the Wingfield recordings?

I do love the Taras Bulba on it though!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Bach

Transcriptions of many pieces from many composers as Froberger,Purcell and  of course Bach

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2021, 06:28:03 PM
Yes..... I appreciate it because it is so vigorous and iconoclastic by today's standards - the percussion in the Sanctus for example. Not the slightest hint of solemnity or reverence anywhere.

I understand where you come from and agreee.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Stravinsky: Petrushka. Dorati/Minneapolis.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on September 24, 2021, 12:46:57 AM

On reflection I think you should give the Clemencic Binchois a wide berth.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 24, 2021, 03:15:09 AM
I understand where you come from and agreee.

I'm just playing it again, it's very good, and I noticed that my hero Sergio Vartolo is singing.

Mandryka

Quote from: The new erato on September 24, 2021, 12:52:47 AM
One of my first Dufay LPs. Rather opulent IIRC.

The singers in it are all people I don't think I've come across elsewhere, but I think they do a great job. The main problem by contemporary standards is really the instrumental work. Clemencic asserts in the note for the sleeve that it was common practice to interpolate the mass ordinaries with improvised music on percussion and winds - he says "according to numerous contemporary reports" , but I've never seen any of these reports!

To be honest I think there are performances of this mass which are more my cup of tea - Giuseppe Maletto, for example, and maybe most of all the new one from Diabolus in Musica.

milk