What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli, Roasted Swan and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Olivier

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 23, 2021, 06:21:20 PM
Two pretty good works there, André. The original version of the 5th has the best music IMO, especially because of those "peculiar" last minutes.

Exactly ! That bizarre solo violin at the end is quite eye-popping. The revision is nowhere as original.

SonicMan46

Digging up some oldies below - The King's Noyse have apparently a lot of recordings, but I just have the two below - enjoy 'The Garden of Melodies' but not as enthralled w/ the other one - any other suggestions?  The Mandel Quartet I believe has changed over the years, especially personnel - head up by Robert Mandel, who plays (and makes) hurdy-gurdies - check his website HERE for a lot of pics of his projects and also videos of him playing (may be available for purchase, not sure?); Fanfare reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

foxandpeng

Alfred Schnittke
Cello Concertos 1 and 2
Polyansky
Russian SSO
Chandos

My goodness. This sound world is extraordinary. Complex, moving, unusual, even unearthly. I find this fascinating.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2021, 07:01:15 AM
On reflection I think you should give the Clemencic Binchois a wide berth.

I can see why!  :)

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2021, 07:03:03 AM
I'm just playing it again, it's very good, and I noticed that my hero Sergio Vartolo is singing.

Never mind his conducting and keyboard playing, the guy cannot sing...  ???

André

Couldn't find the proper cover (mine is 4-disc and includes the VC with Oistrakh). Anyway, symphonies 3, 6 and 7. Comments in the Snowshoed Sibelius thread.

classicalgeek

Still more Poulenc! This time, the chamber music, on Spotify:

A delight from first note to last - Poulenc is one of those composers who I wish I could write like! I seem to remember these chamber works for winds popping up on student recitals when I was in college - they're not too long, wonderful to listen to, and a whole lot of fun! The clarinet sonata (not on this particular recording) was especially a favorite.

I'm familiar with the Naxos series, but apparently Brilliant Classics has their own complete Poulenc chamber music with Italian musicians. Has anyone heard that?
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

SonicMan46

Well, pulling out some more 'early music' from my compilation section - most of these discs were likely purchased pre-2000 - thought that I'd be culling out some but the music is quite wonderful and the performers excellent (many well know youngsters at the time of the recordings) - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

Bachtoven

Superb playing and sound. Qobuz 24/44.1. He plays a Chris Maene Straight Strung Concert Grand piano--it certainly sounds clear and even. It even has a bonus work: Thoughts on Bach, which Daan Manneke composed for him. I might get the SACD version at some point. For more information about the piano: https://www.chrismaene.be/nl/the-straight-strung-grand-piano/

classicalgeek

The Colin Davis Symphonies box, this time sampling his Beethoven

Symphonies: Colin Davis box
CD 5
Beethoven
Symphony no. 6
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sir Colin Davis

It's a mostly fine Pastoral - nothing much to complain about. There's some great woodwind playing. But is it really special? Memorable? I'm on the fence about it.

amw

I know most people tend to be either Original Version Purists or Final Version Purists with Bruckner, but I think this might actually be the best compromise version of the Third Symphony—first, third and fourth movements of 1877, second movement of 1876. Keeps some of the Wagner quotes (and adds a new one, in the 1876 Adagio) and tightens up the structure without the severe 1877 Adagio cut that leaves the first movement unbalanced. Feel free to yell at me for this take, obviously.

(Of course someone has supposedly reconstructed the entire 1876 version, which may well be even better, but I haven't heard that.)

edit: I usually play Bruckner symphonies while working for the extra emotional charge, but abandoned that midway through the 1876 Adagio, and just sat and listened for the rest. Reconfirms my belief that the 1876 Adagio is a revelation. The Scherzo and Finale were also insanely exciting, although that's possibly because I had the volume turned up to maximum in order to drown out the incredibly loud air conditioner here; one misses some of the material cut from the 1873 finale, but the retention of most of the 1873 coda (instead of the drastically cut 1889 one) makes up for it.

(For those following along at home with their Nowak editions, the coda starts at figure Bb [bar 637 in 1873/bar 515 in 1877] or W [bar 393 in 1889]. Yes, the later editions have a lot of cuts. The most notable changes in the 1876 Adagio, compared to 1873, are a longer, more harmonically complex A theme, fuller orchestration throughout, and of course Tannhäuser.)

classicalgeek

Volume 2 of Poulenc's chamber music:

As much of a joy to listen to as Volume 1!

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on September 24, 2021, 02:47:27 PM

I know most people tend to be either Original Version Purists or Final Version Purists with Bruckner, but I think this might actually be the best compromise version of the Third Symphony—first, third and fourth movements of 1877, second movement of 1876. Keeps some of the Wagner quotes (and adds a new one, in the 1876 Adagio) and tightens up the structure without the severe 1877 Adagio cut that leaves the first movement unbalanced. Feel free to yell at me for this take, obviously.

(Of course someone has supposedly reconstructed the entire 1876 version, which may well be even better, but I haven't heard that.)

I'm not a "you have no business enjoying that version!" kind of guy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Also available in this 2-disc set as a filler to Barshai's transcriptions of some quartets:

To make a long story short: a perfectly legit transcription explicitly authorized by the composer, who gave it the opus no 141bis. It was first played by Derevianko and friends in 1972, and other performances followed during Shostakovich's lifetime.

It is scored for piano trio with percussions (3 players) and celesta (played by the pianist). Basically the string parts are transcribed for violin and cello, the winds/brass ones for piano, and the percussion parts retained note for note. In this new chamber setting it loses some of its mystery and quirkiness while sometimes gaining in clarity (only 3 melodic parts to follow). While I miss the shattering power of the full orchestra in the finale's development (one of the most terrifying moments in Shostakovich) I like the added immediacy in the quieter moments.

The performance is probably as good as the work will ever get

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 24, 2021, 11:53:35 AM
Still more Poulenc! This time, the chamber music, on Spotify:

A delight from first note to last - Poulenc is one of those composers who I wish I could write like! I seem to remember these chamber works for winds popping up on student recitals when I was in college - they're not too long, wonderful to listen to, and a whole lot of fun! The clarinet sonata (not on this particular recording) was especially a favorite.

I'm familiar with the Naxos series, but apparently Brilliant Classics has their own complete Poulenc chamber music with Italian musicians. Has anyone heard that?

Do you know about the Decca set featuring Pascal Roge?

There's also an EMI [now Erato] set with all (or almost all) of Poulenc's works. I don't remember who does the chamber works there--probably a mix.

With those two I feel I have enough--though I ought to look for this Naxos series since Tharaud is a favorite of mine.

ETA

The Decca is available as individual CDs if you don't want the piano music.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on September 24, 2021, 05:36:34 PM
Do you know about the Decca set featuring Pascal Roge?

There's also an EMI [now Erato] set with all (or almost all) of Poulenc's works. I don't remember who does the chamber works there--probably a mix.

With those two I feel I have enough--though I ought to look for this Naxos series since Tharaud is a favorite of mine.

ETA

The Decca is available as individual CDs if you don't want the piano music.

Thank you for the recommendations! I think the Roge set is on Spotify, so I'll have to do some comparative listening. I knew EMI recorded his complete songs, but I didn't know they did his (almost) complete works! I'll have to see if I can sample what as well.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on September 24, 2021, 07:47:41 AM
Exactly ! That bizarre solo violin at the end is quite eye-popping. The revision is nowhere as original.

Yes, that one. Somehow it gives me goosebumps. It's like otherwordly, weird but impressive at once.

Langgaard has some fine moments in symphonies and works overall. Maybe not too great, but compelling he really was.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Thread Duty:

Koechlin
La course de printemps
Stuttgart Radio Symphony
Heinz Holliger

What can I say? The music is excellent - it defies categorization in the best possible way. And I'm simply amazed at the way Koechlin writes for orchestra - I've been able to follow this and the Seven Stars Symphony with a full score - and it's opulent, late-Romantic scoring at its finest. But not in a thick and busy Richard Strauss (or Schoenberg in Pelleas und Melisande or Gurrelieder) sort of way - he actually writes few tutti passages. He's a master of orchestral color - multi-divided strings with generous use of harmonics, evocative writing for solo woodwinds, restrained but pointed use of percussion - I could go on!