What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Quote from: John Copeland on September 25, 2021, 06:35:05 AM
Wow.  Just the kind of review I love to read!  It sounds like everything I want it to be.  For that reason...I must listen asap!   ;D

I certainly found it to be thrilling. I hope that you enjoy it too  :)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on September 25, 2021, 06:27:16 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 [Schmidt-Isserstedt]

The opening to this work has almost become a cliché but this version offers something different. It has an edge; it is both robust, powerful and raw. The strings are the foundation, the woodwinds add wonderful depth and tonality and the brass adds that defining edge. In the Andante, like every movement in this presentation, there is a wonderful and powerful presence to the music making. The scoring is wonderfully presented here; I specifically note the woodwinds and the brass writing. The lower register strings also play a vital part here. The overriding power of the opening of the Scherzo is particularly wonderful. This is a wonderful, powerful and agitated presentation. The final movement is something of a tour de force with a really wonderfully and powerfully orchestral display. This is a very vital performance. Absolutely terrific stuff here!! Listen and enjoy! This has to be one of the very best of presentations of this work.

Hurray for Isserstedt !  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 25, 2021, 06:39:21 AM
Hurray for Isserstedt !  :)

Yes, indeed, Jan. I am really liking this cycle so far even though I did not find it too exciting first time around. How wrong I was  :o

aligreto

Varèse: Ecuatorial [Lyndon-Gee]

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
String Symphonies 1-6

Gewandhaus - Kurt Masur
(rec. 1971)

Just listened:

With these early 8-12 minute, 3-movement string symphonies, I can see where Mendelssohn's love of the Baroque comes from. Lots of whirlwind unison strings and perpetual Baroque motor rhythms with simple textures and structures. You can sense an eye twinkle every once in a while when Mendelssohn adds a distant borrowed chord. The 4th SS's slow movement begins with a 'song without words' type melody that Mendelssohn becomes known for, but he doesn't quite know what to do with it yet, and it goes nowhere.

Most interesting in listening to each of these though, is how clearly you can sense what Mendelssohn has learned between writing each symphony. You can aurally imagine his composition teacher sitting down with him and telling him to try one extra technique, and he applies it in the next symphony, and so on for the rest.

I expected Masur and the Gewandhaus to be heavy and impenetrable in these teen works, but not so. Masur moves things along, and the Gewandhaus may even be pared down. This must have been an early collaboration on their part, and a very early collection of these works after these scores appeared in print sometime in the 50's.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

CD: 33

"Wolferl"

Symphony № 40 in g minor, K. 550
Symphony № 33 in Bb K. 319
Symphony № 29 in A, K. 201 (186a)

For myself, the Bb Symphony slots into the nice but inessential Mozart category.
If I were less the composer and more the musicologist, I would research the parenthetical cataloguing of the A Major Symphony. As it is, I am content to have my curiosity tickled.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Beethoven

Symphony No.5

When I look at what members put forward as their best cycle, I rarely see these recordings.
What's wrong with these recordings, the articulations are so refreshing especially when compared to the Karajan recordings from about the same period.
With Isserstedt no effect is sought, which is often the case with many available recordings, if only to stand out in all that crowd.
These recordings are often described as middle of the road, an assessment that misleads many.
It is also not a good description, everything is present in a beautiful balance, the music unfolds in all its nuances without forgetting the big picture. When I say that these are honest interpretations, a negative connotation arises again. What I mean is that optimal justice is done to the intentions contained in the score.
The symphony begins rhythmically pulsating with an eye for lyricism that is not exaggerated.
Beethoven is only more human because of this unpretentious approach.
The tempos chosen are lower than is usual in our modern times",
I would say "so what"

Since we have more time, everything has to go faster.

Traverso

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Amadeo Roldan: Suite de La Rebambaramba.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 24, 2021, 06:51:49 PM
A Hindemithian night:

Der Schwanendreher

The peak of wit. Vintage Hindemith. And what a razor-shape performance this is. The best combination, perhaps?

Nice set!

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, too many choirs and soloists to list

The only music that makes any sense to me at the moment.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2021, 08:06:49 AM

Veni, Creator Spiritus
mentes tuorum visita.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2021, 08:06:49 AM

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, too many choirs and soloists to list

I re-read Solti's memoir a few weeks ago. He talks about various recording sessions for Decca. It was a nice read.

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 25, 2021, 05:18:17 AM
David Diamond, Romeo and Juliet, recording by Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony

An engaging piece with some colorful, vigorous orchestral writing, poignant melodies and harmonies. Beautifully performed and recorded.

Intrigued to read in the recording notes that there was a recording released by Columbia on 78 rpm shellac discs. I wonder if it is possible to track that down on CD or download.
Romeo and Juliet and the Third Symphony make that arguably my favourite Diamond CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

mahler10th

So I have had a listen!
As Traverso says, "...The tempos chosen are lower than is usual in our modern times....so what?"
I did think it half a beat slower than expected, but the symphony above is well rounded, consistent, everything is in it's place, no fancy stuff, and more solid than whizz bang 'modern times' interpretations.  It definitely has powerful undertones, never overstated, but mighty in delivery.  Thanks aligreto, it was worth the journey!   ;D

Karl Henning

CD 28:

Vn Cto w/Isaac Stern
Symphony in Three Mvts
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Hindemith: Kleine Kammermusik for 5 wind instruments Op. 24/2 [13]

I particularly like the somewhat irreverent tone and whimsical nature of this work. I find it to be particularly engaging and very attractive. The scoring is very appealing and engaging in its sonorities. I also find the musical language to be very interesting. It is a different sounding, very fine and engrossing work. This would be a highly recommended listen. The musical language is intriguing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 25, 2021, 08:25:35 AM
Hindemith: Kleine Kammermusik for 5 wind instruments Op. 24/2 [13]

I particularly like the somewhat irreverent tone and whimsical nature of this work. I find it to be particularly engaging and very attractive. The scoring is very appealing and engaging in its sonorities. I also find the musical language to be very interesting. It is a different sounding, very fine and engrossing work. This would be a highly recommended listen. The musical language is intriguing.

Great stuff!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 25, 2021, 07:20:27 AM
Beethoven

Symphony No.5

When I look at what members put forward as their best cycle, I rarely see these recordings.
What's wrong with these recordings, the articulations are so refreshing especially when compared to the Karajan recordings from about the same period.
With Isserstedt no effect is sought, which is often the case with many available recordings, if only to stand out in all that crowd.
These recordings are often described as middle of the road, an assessment that misleads many.
It is also not a good description, everything is present in a beautiful balance, the music unfolds in all its nuances without forgetting the big picture. When I say that these are honest interpretations, a negative connotation arises again. What I mean is that optimal justice is done to the intentions contained in the score.
The symphony begins rhythmically pulsating with an eye for lyricism that is not exaggerated.
Beethoven is only more human because of this unpretentious approach.
The tempos chosen are lower than is usual in our modern times",
I would say "so what"

Since we have more time, everything has to go faster.

Fine words, Jan, and written with conviction  :)