What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato, Irons, Harry, SonicMan46 (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on September 25, 2021, 01:02:38 PM

Some seriously beautiful music here: Webern's quartet from 1905, Schoenberg's 2nd quartet (with soprano) and Berg's op 3.

The cover art is said to have been the inspiration for Webern's work. It's a painting by one Giovanni Segantini titled « Becoming, Being, Passing ». I find it ugly. Webern's music though is bewitching. It starts with a quote from Beethoven's op 135 quartet's finale, the so-called 'Muss es sein?' motif. It also happens to be quite similar to an important theme in Wagner's Walküre, specifically Brünnhilde's Announcement of Death. It makes for interesting references. The '1905' quartet is from Webern's post-romantic period.

Schoenberg's 2nd quartet is thought to be the pivot that introduces his 'mature' period. It's a very serious piece, and demands the listener's undivided attention. Soprano Marieke Koster conquers the difficult soprano part with ease and assurance. Berg's op 3 is also an early work, speaking in post-romantic, expressionist language. Not as brilliantly chiseled as his Suite lyrique, with sometimes thick textures, but still an important work. This is an immensely rewarding disc.

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

André

Schliessmann's Brahms is both highly intuitive and intellectually rarefied. This is pianism and music-making of a high order indeed. The sound is full, bold and immediate.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 25, 2021, 10:22:17 AM
CD: 34

"Wolferl"

A disc of trifles, but most of them written from the age of 23 through to his final year, and so (on balace) worthwhile trifles, anyway.

Well, I was inattentive ... there is a K. 32 in there, a most curious quodlibet, Gallimathias musicum in D, from 1766 ... gonnahave to go back to that 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

The Great Dmitri Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1

One of my heroes in music was born on this day in 1906. A masterpiece in masterful hands in sensitive and heartfelt in tone. For works like this is that I admire Shostakovich so much. There was depth in his soul, so is in his music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Landed today

The works are certainly stormier than what I've heard from Vasks before this.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on September 25, 2021, 12:20:20 PM
And the first CD of this [Symphony 2, VC 1, Symphonic Variations]

Excellent composer and music those.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2021, 05:32:39 PM
Excellent composer and music those.

To be honest, Kalabis is not hitting my "sweet spot". This is my second try at rhe set.  Seems to be a lot going on but not gelling.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

The Britten

A winning combination of technique, sensitivity, playing, conducting and recording. 5/5

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 25, 2021, 03:09:49 PM

Your posts are so both sober and meaningful. It shows how not "aligned" your listenings are in comparison with ours.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on September 25, 2021, 05:36:37 PM
To be honest, Kalabis is not hitting my "sweet spot". This is my second try at rhe set.  Seems to be a lot going on but not gelling.

Yes, maybe he's not as striking at first as other composers are. It's music that demands attention and patience, and the music will grow on you. The Harpsichord Concerto, for instance, is a tour de force and "darkness".

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Richard Strauss: Symphony No. 2

First listen to this very early work.

Mandryka

Quote from: André on September 25, 2021, 04:04:55 PM

Schliessmann's Brahms is both highly intuitive and intellectually rarefied. This is pianism and music-making of a high order indeed. The sound is full, bold and immediate.

I have always been curious about this CD for the variations, which aren't streaming. The thing that has stopped me from buying it is that I'm not interested in the sonata.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2021, 06:18:15 PM
Yes, maybe he's not as striking at first as other composers are. It's music that demands attention and patience, and the music will grow on you. The Harpsichord Concerto, for instance, is a tour de force and "darkness".

Hmm, I forgot about the Harpsichord Concerto, which I did like from the start. (I have the Vinokur recording on Cedille.)

TD

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra playing Mozart: Serenades for Winds in E Flat major and c minor, K375 and K388.