What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, Madiel (+ 1 Hidden) and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

André

I don't think this version of the Dvorak has been surpassed. The combination is one of a sensitive, aristocratic soloist and a master of the orchestra, adept at bringing out colours while maintaining perfect discipline. The performance is more volatile and heart-on-sleeve than Rostro/Karajan's heroic, Man of Steel classic. Fournier's songful legato and subtle use of portamento gives his playing a vocal quality I find simply perfect. Szell is ever attentive to Dvorak's flowery wind writing, making sure the strings never obscure their patter. Despite its age the recording is still excellent, with good depth and stereo separation (1961, Jesus-Christus kirche, Berlin-Dahlem).

The Elgar concerto was taped in 1966 in Berlin's UFA studio, a more analytic, less reverberant venue. Not a bad choice considering Elgar's bass-oriented, less transparent scoring. Unfortunately this is rather offset by the cello image the engineers brought: it's very close, making it a jumbo-sized instrument. The resulting aural scrutiny doesn't flatter Fournier's handling of the highest note in the great ascending scale (repeated) in the first movement - like a soprano having a hard time with her high Cs. This is too bad because otherwise this is a very original conception of the work, with lots of rubato and tempo adjustments from the soloist. Wallenstein (himself a renowned soloist in his young days) is with him all the way.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on September 26, 2021, 07:58:26 AM

A very fine recording Fergus  :)

You are a man of impeccable taste, Jan  :)

aligreto

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2021, 11:13:30 AM

Nor am I particularly interested in transcriptions (unless they are made by the composer himself), but some transcriptions (also these) are rather than transcriptions an attempt to reconstruct supposed original versions of the works, as there are many indications that the organ trio sonates in the handed down form are already transcriptions (made by Bach himself) of previously composed chamber music works. This is why they are particularly interesting.

Thank you for that very interesting information, none of which I knew. The cohesion and the appeal of these transcriptions are now well accounted for.

vandermolen

Sauguet Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Recordings from the 1950s. Marguerite Long plays the Ravel G major concerto, Jacques Février the Left Hand concerto and the rare Debussy Fantaisie. Georges Tzipine is a wonderful accompanist. The two orchestras play with typical french sound (nasal woodwinds, vibrato-laden brass) and phrasing (swaying, with unpredictable rubato). An authentic travel in time and space.

VonStupp

Quote from: André on September 26, 2021, 11:26:33 AM

I don't think this version of the Dvorak has been surpassed. The combination is one of a sensitive, aristocratic soloist and a master of the orchestra, adept at bringing out colours while maintaining perfect discipline. The performance is more volatile and heart-on-sleeve than Rostro/Karajan's heroic, Man of Steel classic. Fournier's songful legato and subtle use of portamento gives his playing a vocal quality I find simply perfect. Szell is ever attentive to Dvorak's flowery wind writing, making sure the strings never obscure their patter. Despite its age the recording is still excellent, with good depth and stereo separation (1961, Jesus-Christus kirche, Berlin-Dahlem).

Thanks for this! I also prefer Fournier/Szell to Rostropovich/Karajan as a classic rendition of the Dvorak CC, and I like how they get down to business. My version is on DG Musikfest paired with Bloch and Bruch, and am unfamiliar with this version of the Elgar CC.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on September 26, 2021, 11:26:33 AM

The Elgar concerto was taped in 1966 in Berlin's UFA studio, a more analytic, less reverberant venue. Not a bad choice considering Elgar's bass-oriented, less transparent scoring. Unfortunately this is rather offset by the cello image the engineers brought: it's very close, making it a jumbo-sized instrument. The resulting aural scrutiny doesn't flatter Fournier's handling of the highest note in the great ascending scale (repeated) in the first movement - like a soprano having a hard time with her high Cs. This is too bad because otherwise this is a very original conception of the work, with lots of rubato and tempo adjustments from the soloist. Wallenstein (himself a renowned soloist in his young days) is with him all the way.

Hi André - thanks for your comments on Fournier-Szell - own that on another CD w/ different fillers (inserted above) - have a couple of Elgar cello performances but not w/ Fournier.  Dave :)

aligreto

Schubert: Notturno in E Flat Major D 897 [Collegium Aureum, members]

This is a very fine, sensitive and intriguing presentation of this wonderfully atmospheric work. The  musicians do a terrific and remarkable job in presenting a truly engrossing, fluid version. The musicianship is of the highest order. The atmosphere is palpably electric and engrossing. This presentation is most definitely one to be heard and experienced. It is terrific music making.

VonStupp

Jinx!  :laugh:

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 26, 2021, 01:24:38 PM
Hi André - thanks for your comments on Fournier-Szell - own that on another CD w/ different fillers (inserted above) - have a couple of Elgar cello performances but not w/ Fournier.  Dave :)

Quote from: VonStupp on September 26, 2021, 01:24:26 PM
Thanks for this! I also prefer Fournier/Szell to Rostropovich/Karajan as a classic rendition of the Dvorak CC, and I like how they get down to business. My version is on DG Musikfest paired with Bloch and Bruch, and am unfamiliar with this version of the Elgar CC.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Wilson, Christopher - Viheula Music - Spanish Renaissance; the same Spanish composers appear on the first CD below but seems to be no duplication of works; viheulas made by Paul Thomson, London (two dates given, 1985 & 88, so presumed two different reproductions).  Dave :)

JBS

Another new (to me) Vasks CD.

This may be going OOP, which is a shame, especially since the soloist here is the flautist for whom the concerto was written.

Aria e danze is an 11 minute work for flute and piano. The other two works are for unaccompanied flute; the sonata adds the twist of being scored for alto flute in the two outer movements and regular flute in the middle one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Carlo Gesualdo

Greetings , me listening now to the new release of  2021 College vocal Gent, Philippe Herreweghe new remarkable offering of Dark prince of death, Lutenist, Poet, wild one  :laugh: of Italian renaissance, one of the first composer to really catch my attention and grab me into renaissance whit Lassus, yep..

This album is Dolcissimia vita a cinque voci Madrigali voci,
Libro quito (16Th century, It's fantastic Pillippe up stair in the cloud, lurking in heaven,Oh sir I own you an apologies, since the olde boye, don't wont to go to hell, I strongly bitterly criticized you're Tenebrae Responsoria in the past, please forgive dear kind sir, this album fabulous , lovely, enchanting, these are mere word, light words to describe the astonishment I had, hear this sumptuous album this is, I send College Vocal Gent all the best this is quit a strong release, only a town fol would disagree, very  pretty voices here, lovely sung whit passion, wow what a release you, yes you , reading this, you're chosen, to listen to this  singular genius album there, and sleeve quite pretty, the music panoramic, colorful, emotion, I am flabbergast folk, do you want me to lie?

My rating for this album would be a decent 10 out of 10, very very sweet verice nice perfomance, love this a lot, what about you folks of GmG, I ask opinion of friends, follower, secret admirer, and  satanic enemy, everyone is invited to respond to this, grey space alien, what about green hey, anyone by god allmighty means.

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 8 in E-flat major
Vesko Eshkenazy (violin), Jan-Hendrik Rootering (bass), Jane Eaglen (soprano), Peter Mattei (baritone), Ruth Ziesak (soprano), Anne Schwanewilms (soprano), Ben Heppner (tenor), Sara Fulgoni (mezzo-soprano), Anna Larsson (contralto)
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Choir, Prague Philharmonic Chorus, Jongenskoor Van Het Sacramentskoor, Breda, Jongens en meisjes van het Kathedrale Koor St.Bavo, Haarlem
Chailly

Que

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

JS Bach - Various Organ Chorales, Preludes & Fugues (Isoir CD1)

Olivier

Que

Traverso

The King's Musick

A favorite disc of mine ,"pastime with good company" :)