Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1605396 times)

classicalgeek and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #50220 on: September 26, 2021, 09:27:13 AM »
Felix Mendelssohn
String Symphony 12 in g minor
String Symphony 13 in c minor

Gewandhaus - Kurt Masur

Whereas Mendelssohn's SS #11 was a major step forward in symphonic development, #12 (three movements) and #13 (one movement) are a bit disappointing. They take a strong step backwards into the Baroque, with fugal passages and contrapuntalism galore. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it was unexpected as an overarching progression of these works.

That said, his application of counterpoint bears heavy chromaticisms, and Mendelssohn's abilities to weave highly-chromatic harmonic components into those older forms is quite impressive.  I guess in that respect, this is the move forward for Mendelssohn's voice.

Still, I prefer the gently-lapping middle movement of #12, another slow, Germanic, religioso feel, which breaks up all of Mendelssohn's minor-keyed busyness.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:30:33 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #50221 on: September 26, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »

A few years ago (I think it was a few), I tried Janne Mertanen's recording of the Schumann and Grieg concertos, which many people like.  I found it meh, so I didn't bother with other recordings until this popped up for a few bucks.  Chopin is more his thing, or rather his Chopin is more to my taste - much more so.  Supremely fine digital dexterity and touch combined to create a romantic but not syrupy sound.  Top tier piano playing, and the band ain't half bad, either.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #50222 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »

5 & 6.  This set has emerged as one of the best I've heard, almost certainly necessitating some A/Bs at some point.  Eminently satisfactory in every way.

Not for me, on the basis of 3, which I just listened to. The reason is just that I don’t like their rather plush rich velvet and silk sound. A personal thing obviously. It’s not the recording, it’s them and it’s me - I’m sure I’d feel the same way in a concert.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:11:24 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #50223 on: September 26, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0Im8pPwAsy4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0Im8pPwAsy4</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #50224 on: September 26, 2021, 10:13:30 AM »
JS Bach- Trio Sonatas Nos. 4-6 [London Baroque]

I am not usually particularly interested in transcriptions but these interpretations and presentations are definitely interesting and engaging. They are exciting and well presented. I like the drive and the presence of these versions.  However, I find the recorded sound to be a bit on the thin and harsh side for me, unfortunately. A minor quibble.

Nor am I particularly interested in transcriptions (unless they are made by the composer himself), but some transcriptions (also these) are rather than transcriptions an attempt to reconstruct supposed original versions of the works, as there are many indications that the organ trio sonates in the handed down form are already transcriptions (made by Bach himself) of previously composed chamber music works. This is why they are particularly interesting.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50225 on: September 26, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »

I don’t think this version of the Dvorak has been surpassed. The combination is one of a sensitive, aristocratic soloist and a master of the orchestra, adept at bringing out colours while maintaining perfect discipline. The performance is more volatile and heart-on-sleeve than Rostro/Karajan’s heroic, Man of Steel classic. Fournier’s songful legato and subtle use of portamento gives his playing a vocal quality I find simply perfect. Szell is ever attentive to Dvorak’s flowery wind writing, making sure the strings never obscure their patter. Despite its age the recording is still excellent, with good depth and stereo separation (1961, Jesus-Christus kirche, Berlin-Dahlem).

The Elgar concerto was taped in 1966 in Berlin’s UFA studio, a more analytic, less reverberant venue. Not a bad choice considering Elgar’s bass-oriented, less transparent scoring. Unfortunately this is rather offset by the cello image the engineers brought: it’s very close, making it a jumbo-sized instrument. The resulting aural scrutiny doesn’t flatter Fournier’s handling of the highest note in the great ascending scale (repeated) in the first movement - like a soprano having a hard time with her high Cs. This is too bad because otherwise this is a very original conception of the work, with lots of rubato and tempo adjustments from the soloist. Wallenstein (himself a renowned soloist in his young days) is with him all the way.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50226 on: September 26, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »
Varèse: Nocturnal [Lyndon-Gee]

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50227 on: September 26, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »

A very fine recording Fergus  :)

You are a man of impeccable taste, Jan  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50228 on: September 26, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »

Nor am I particularly interested in transcriptions (unless they are made by the composer himself), but some transcriptions (also these) are rather than transcriptions an attempt to reconstruct supposed original versions of the works, as there are many indications that the organ trio sonates in the handed down form are already transcriptions (made by Bach himself) of previously composed chamber music works. This is why they are particularly interesting.

Thank you for that very interesting information, none of which I knew. The cohesion and the appeal of these transcriptions are now well accounted for.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #50229 on: September 26, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
Sauguet Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #50230 on: September 26, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
Thank you for that very interesting information, none of which I knew. The cohesion and the appeal of these transcriptions are now well accounted for.

Many musicians have recorded their version of the supposed original works in different - more or less plausible scorings. My own preference remains the London Baroque recording. Here are some of the others:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7996402--bach-j-s-trio-sonatas-nos-1-6-bwv525-530?_gl=1*1phslie*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8053765--bach-j-s-trio-sonatas-nos-1-6-bwv525-530?_gl=1*1g3i5vu*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8011280--js-bach-organ-trio-sonatas-arranged-for-multiple-instruments?_gl=1*n75mbz*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923087--bach-trio-sonatas?_gl=1*ezbgf7*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50231 on: September 26, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »

Recordings from the 1950s. Marguerite Long plays the Ravel G major concerto, Jacques Février the Left Hand concerto and the rare Debussy Fantaisie. Georges Tzipine is a wonderful accompanist. The two orchestras play with typical french sound (nasal woodwinds, vibrato-laden brass) and phrasing (swaying, with unpredictable rubato). An authentic travel in time and space.

Online VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #50232 on: September 26, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »

I don’t think this version of the Dvorak has been surpassed. The combination is one of a sensitive, aristocratic soloist and a master of the orchestra, adept at bringing out colours while maintaining perfect discipline. The performance is more volatile and heart-on-sleeve than Rostro/Karajan’s heroic, Man of Steel classic. Fournier’s songful legato and subtle use of portamento gives his playing a vocal quality I find simply perfect. Szell is ever attentive to Dvorak’s flowery wind writing, making sure the strings never obscure their patter. Despite its age the recording is still excellent, with good depth and stereo separation (1961, Jesus-Christus kirche, Berlin-Dahlem).

Thanks for this! I also prefer Fournier/Szell to Rostropovich/Karajan as a classic rendition of the Dvorak CC, and I like how they get down to business. My version is on DG Musikfest paired with Bloch and Bruch, and am unfamiliar with this version of the Elgar CC.

VS

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #50233 on: September 26, 2021, 12:24:38 PM »

The Elgar concerto was taped in 1966 in Berlin’s UFA studio, a more analytic, less reverberant venue. Not a bad choice considering Elgar’s bass-oriented, less transparent scoring. Unfortunately this is rather offset by the cello image the engineers brought: it’s very close, making it a jumbo-sized instrument. The resulting aural scrutiny doesn’t flatter Fournier’s handling of the highest note in the great ascending scale (repeated) in the first movement - like a soprano having a hard time with her high Cs. This is too bad because otherwise this is a very original conception of the work, with lots of rubato and tempo adjustments from the soloist. Wallenstein (himself a renowned soloist in his young days) is with him all the way.

Hi André - thanks for your comments on Fournier-Szell - own that on another CD w/ different fillers (inserted above) - have a couple of Elgar cello performances but not w/ Fournier.  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50234 on: September 26, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »
Schubert: Notturno in E Flat Major D 897 [Collegium Aureum, members]

This is a very fine, sensitive and intriguing presentation of this wonderfully atmospheric work. The  musicians do a terrific and remarkable job in presenting a truly engrossing, fluid version. The musicianship is of the highest order. The atmosphere is palpably electric and engrossing. This presentation is most definitely one to be heard and experienced. It is terrific music making.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50235 on: September 26, 2021, 12:32:09 PM »
Many musicians have recorded their version of the supposed original works in different - more or less plausible scorings. My own preference remains the London Baroque recording. Here are some of the others:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7996402--bach-j-s-trio-sonatas-nos-1-6-bwv525-530?_gl=1*1phslie*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8053765--bach-j-s-trio-sonatas-nos-1-6-bwv525-530?_gl=1*1g3i5vu*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8011280--js-bach-organ-trio-sonatas-arranged-for-multiple-instruments?_gl=1*n75mbz*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923087--bach-trio-sonatas?_gl=1*ezbgf7*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTI5MzM3NzcxNi4xNjMyNjg3NTA1*_ga_YSZK8CYF0N*MTYzMjY4NzUwNC4xLjAuMTYzMjY4NzUwNC4w

Thank you very much for that. I will definitely listen to the samples provided for each version.

Online VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #50236 on: September 26, 2021, 12:37:49 PM »
Jinx!  :laugh:

Hi André - thanks for your comments on Fournier-Szell - own that on another CD w/ different fillers (inserted above) - have a couple of Elgar cello performances but not w/ Fournier.  Dave :)

Thanks for this! I also prefer Fournier/Szell to Rostropovich/Karajan as a classic rendition of the Dvorak CC, and I like how they get down to business. My version is on DG Musikfest paired with Bloch and Bruch, and am unfamiliar with this version of the Elgar CC.

VS
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:43:08 PM by VonStupp »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #50237 on: September 26, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
Wilson, Christopher - Viheula Music - Spanish Renaissance; the same Spanish composers appear on the first CD below but seems to be no duplication of works; viheulas made by Paul Thomson, London (two dates given, 1985 & 88, so presumed two different reproductions).  Dave :)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #50238 on: September 26, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
Another new (to me) Vasks CD.

This may be going OOP, which is a shame, especially since the soloist here is the flautist for whom the concerto was written.

Aria e danze is an 11 minute work for flute and piano. The other two works are for unaccompanied flute; the sonata adds the twist of being scored for alto flute in the two outer movements and regular flute in the middle one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • Favorites colours deep violet, Burgundy, Navy Blue
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #50239 on: September 26, 2021, 05:56:40 PM »
Greetings , me listening now to the new release of  2021 College vocal Gent, Philippe Herreweghe new remarkable offering of Dark prince of death, Lutenist, Poet, wild one  :laugh: of Italian renaissance, one of the first composer to really catch my attention and grab me into renaissance whit Lassus, yep..

This album is Dolcissimia vita a cinque voci Madrigali voci,
Libro quito (16Th century, It's fantastic Pillippe up stair in the cloud, lurking in heaven,Oh sir I own you an apologies, since the olde boye, don't wont to go to hell, I strongly bitterly criticized you're Tenebrae Responsoria in the past, please forgive dear kind sir, this album fabulous , lovely, enchanting, these are mere word, light words to describe the astonishment I had, hear this sumptuous album this is, I send College Vocal Gent all the best this is quit a strong release, only a town fol would disagree, very  pretty voices here, lovely sung whit passion, wow what a release you, yes you , reading this, you're chosen, to listen to this  singular genius album there, and sleeve quite pretty, the music panoramic, colorful, emotion, I am flabbergast folk, do you want me to lie?

My rating for this album would be a decent 10 out of 10, very very sweet verice nice perfomance, love this a lot, what about you folks of GmG, I ask opinion of friends, follower, secret admirer, and  satanic enemy, everyone is invited to respond to this, grey space alien, what about green hey, anyone by god allmighty means.