What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Bachtoven on September 27, 2021, 07:36:16 AM
Great playing and sound. I'm looking forward to Daniil Trifonov's recording on DG that comes out next month. Of special interest is his completion of the final unfinished fugue.

So one to get after all?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Irons

Bax: The Tale the Pine-Trees Knew.

Best collection of Bax I have heard. Outstanding performances from Bryden Thomson. The early digital recording isn't as good as Handley but that pales to insignificance with the sense of mystery and timelessness of Thomson, "In the Faery Hills" is a perfect example of his mastery of this. "Roscatha" the only one of four I thought less then top-drawer.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Bachtoven

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 27, 2021, 01:05:56 PM
So one to get after all?

I like it and International Piano called it "unmissable."

A refresher of what we're talking about:

mahler10th

Quote from: Irons on September 27, 2021, 01:12:22 PM
Bax: The Tale the Pine-Trees Knew.

Best collection of Bax I have heard. Outstanding performances from Bryden Thomson. The early digital recording isn't as good as Handley but that pales to insignificance with the sense of mystery and timelessness of Thomson, "In the Faery Hills" is a perfect example of his mastery of this. "Roscatha" the only one of four I thought less then top-drawer.

+1
Bax adherents are so hard to find!  I think Handley brings a broader canvas, but I agree that for a more enigmatic experience, Thomson brought it!   :)

foxandpeng

Sunleif Rasmussen
Symphony #2 'The Earth Anew'
Helsinki PO
John Storgårds

This is really very good, surprisingly. Bo Skovhus is great. As are the whistles. Whistles? Really?

;D
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Think I'll join you there, Irons...

Arnold Bax: The Tale the Pine Trees Knew. Bryden Thomson, Ulster Orchestra

Bachtoven

Great playing but I'm not a fan of Hyperion's piano sound.

listener

frok the Tyrol
Ernst TSCHIDERER (1830 - 1916) Concert Overtures in d, D
Im Frühling, Des Meeres und der Liebe Wellen Overture, Werthers Leiden Overture,
Medea, KIng Lear -Synphonic Poem,
Orchestra of the Acakemie St. Blasius, Karlheinz Siessl, cond.
Johann RUFINATSCHA (1812 - 1893)
Symphony 1 in D, Symphony 3 in b minor
Cappella Istropolitana, Bratislava
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op. 43
National SO
Rostropovich

I've always liked Rostropovich's Shostakovich cycle. Great stuff.

T. D.

Discs 13-15: Shostakovich, B. Tchaikovsky, Mosolov, Bortkiewicz

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 04:32:42 PM
NP:

Shostakovich
National SO
Rostropovich

You know who else likes Slava's set?...

TD:

Brautigam plays a very attractive sounding period piano.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on September 27, 2021, 05:24:13 PM
You know who else likes Slava's set?...

I think I'll jump off a bridge now... :P

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on September 27, 2021, 05:09:22 PM

Discs 13-15: Shostakovich, B. Tchaikovsky, Mosolov, Bortkiewicz

All of those are splendid. I especially like the "spicy" Mosolov. What a work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Szentpali: Tuba Concerto

Tons of fun.

Finishing this Toccata Classics Joel Feigin disc with the Mosaic in Two Panels for String Orchestra.

The most impressive piece IMO is Aviv for piano and chamber orchestra, which seems to channel Leonard Bernstein at his best.

Mirror Image

NP:

Feldman
Neither
Petra Hoffmann
Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Kwamé Ryan

An anti-opera? Quite possibly, but utterly fascinating to say the least. The eerie atmosphere Feldman conjures up is completely singular and strangely alluring. I haven't heard the version of Neither on the HatHut label, but this one is rather good. I'm not sure which recording our resident Feldmanites prefer?

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 27, 2021, 04:32:42 PM
NP:

Shostakovich
National SO
Rostropovich

Ooh, I love the Shostakovich 4th! My co-favorite along with the 8th. I wonder if it had been premiered successfully, instead of withdrawn, how Shostakovich's path as a symphonist would have changed. And of course Rostropovich does it as well as anyone.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 27, 2021, 08:36:14 PM
Ooh, I love the Shostakovich 4th! My co-favorite along with the 8th. I wonder if it had been successfully premiered successfully, instead of withdrawn, how Shostakovich's path as a symphonist would have changed. And of course Rostropovich does it as well as anyone.

Of course, this is just speculation, but I believe that Shostakovich would have landed himself in even hotter water with Stalin had a proper premiere happened with the 4th symphony. He could have been killed or sent to a Gulag to die. I mean he didn't need any more trouble, especially after that disastrous premiere of Lady Macbeth. The 5th symphony saved his neck and this actually enabled him to upset the "establishment" every so often, which he most certainly did with the 6th symphony, which was supposed to be a triumphant return to the glories of the 5th symphony, but this didn't happen and Shostakovich was smart about this --- he had to choose his battles carefully.

foxandpeng

Arnold Bax
Spring Fire
Orchestral Works
Vernon Handley
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Chandos
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Bruckner: Symphony No. 8

Epic as always!! I tend to not be keen on the Scherzo of this symphony, but this time it worked pretty well. To listen to this work on full volume was a very good idea!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

More fascinating Feldman...

This recording: