What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 01, 2021, 06:19:57 PM
And to finish the day:

Couldn't find this on Spotify, but luckily I ripped my Zinman recording before I sold about 10 years ago! A really striking piece, almost entirely in unison or octaves, but the orchestral color is ever-changing. Great stuff!

I have the same one  :)

Traverso

Johann Caspar Fischer  (1656-1746)

This is a fine recording with a almost forgotten composer.The music is very attractive and will give pleasure to many.

Harry

Ostinato.

Hesperion XXI.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Clarinet Concertos

The Parley of Instruments is an ensemble which I greatly appreciate .This recording is also very successful

John Copeland

So with all the Koechlin excitement going on, and never having heard the composer, I asked MI (John) where I should start with Koechlin.  His recommendation was this, which I bought off ebay for a quick fiver (bargain) and it arrived today.  What a well spent fiver.  As soon as it started,  the mezzo-soprano voice came into the room in the most beautiful way (Seal Lullaby) and I knew I was in for a treat.  A wild run through the jungle with brilliant orchestration took me to the Meditation of Purun Baghat, which blew me away with...eh...wonderousness!  The whole things has got me from the first second of play, and I expect to find as much Koechlin as I can for further listening.  Extremely happy,

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Busoni: Turandot Suite. Cond. Riccardo Muti.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Quote from: John Copeland on October 02, 2021, 05:52:17 AM
So with all the Koechlin excitement going on, and never having heard the composer, I asked MI (John) where I should start with Koechlin.  His recommendation was this, which I bought off ebay for a quick fiver (bargain) and it arrived today.  What a well spent fiver.  As soon as it started,  the mezzo-soprano voice came into the room in the most beautiful way (Seal Lullaby) and I knew I was in for a treat.  A wild run through the jungle with brilliant orchestration took me to the Meditation of Purun Baghat, which blew me away with...eh...wonderousness!  The whole things has got me from the first second of play, and I expect to find as much Koechlin as I can for further listening.  Extremely happy,

Agreed, and the Three Poems are a favorite of mine. I personally have trouble with later Koechlin doing much for me, but he is always an interesting colorist and his orchestral textures are compelling as well. The Zinman/Judd recording is certainly very good.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mandryka

Another discovery by Kirkman, tentatively attributed to Dufay. I am starting to think that this ensemble is at their best in rare music which they themselves have unearthed - because this has all the intensity and allure of the King of Scots anonymous mass. Basically, this is very enjoyable Renaissance music making.

And I mentioned to que a few days ago the rarity of Binchois's sacred music on record, and here's a bunch of motets and mass movements! I'd completely forgotten about them.

(Such a shame that Kirkman hasn't bitten off Johannes Regis, whose music always sounds to me as though it would benefit from a reappraisal.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Georg Muffat

A  composer with Scottish ancestors (They had to flee because of the persecution of the Catholics under Elisabeth I)  and father of Gottlieb Muffat (what's in a name you could say)

One of the most appealing pieces for organ for me anyway is the toccata prima from Gearge Muffat and preferable played by Gustav Leonhardt.He recorded it more than once but his DHM recording (Ottobeuren) I like te most.

Georg Muffat's Apparatus musico-organisticus from 1690 is generally known as very interesting for its integration of various European styles. Muffat wrote in a foreword that this work is, as it were, the result of his meeting with leading organists from Germany, France and Italy. An integral performance of this work, consisting of 12 toccatas, a ciacona, a passacaglia and a series of variations over an aria, has been published. Elisabeth Ullman gives an exemplary interpretation on an instrument that has been restored by, among others, Jurgen Ahrend, although one might sometimes wish that the interpretation was a little less exemplary and more in line with the whimsical adventure that Muffat has embarked on when composing these style contrasts.

VonStupp

Carl Maria von Weber
Konzertstück in F minor, op. 79

Nikolai Demidenko, piano
SCO - Sir Charles Mackerras

A fun concertante work that goes a bit beyond his piano concertos.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on October 02, 2021, 06:47:27 AM
Georg Muffat

A  composer with Scottish ancestors (They had to flee because of the persecution of the Catholics under Elisabeth I)  and father of Gottlieb Muffat (what's in a name you could say)

One of the most appealing pieces for organ for me anyway is the toccata prima from Gearge Muffat and preferable played by Gustav Leonhardt.He recorded it more than once but his DHM recording (Ottobeuren) I like te most.

Georg Muffat's Apparatus musico-organisticus from 1690 is generally known as very interesting for its integration of various European styles. Muffat wrote in a foreword that this work is, as it were, the result of his meeting with leading organists from Germany, France and Italy. An integral performance of this work, consisting of 12 toccatas, a ciacona, a passacaglia and a series of variations over an aria, has been published. Elisabeth Ullman gives an exemplary interpretation on an instrument that has been restored by, among others, Jurgen Ahrend, although one might sometimes wish that the interpretation was a little less exemplary and more in line with the whimsical adventure that Muffat has embarked on when composing these style contrasts.

Well put - I agree about Leonhardt and I agree about Ullman!

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 01, 2021, 03:12:33 PM
Yo, Karl! This is one of the best box sets I've ever purchased! Seeing your comments on this set helped me to take that extra step, and to open my wallet a little more than I was expecting  ;D

Was it the Peaks email? I just saw it, sorry I've been bad at email lately I get about 50 a day I don't want to read about 3 I do read, so I miss a bunch.

Completely understand. One of the things I do not miss about my time in the cubicle farm, is the morning ritual of combing the In-Box for the messages which actually required my attention.

TD

https://www.youtube.com/v/n-95rYkIbmE

Then ...

CD 13:

LvB
Sonata № 2 in A, Op. 2 № 2
Sonata № 3 in C, Op. 2 № 3
Sonata № 4 in Eb, Op.7
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on October 02, 2021, 06:45:24 AM

Another discovery by Kirkman, tentatively attributed to Dufay. I am starting to think that this ensemble is at their best in rare music which they themselves have unearthed - because this has all the intensity and allure of the King of Scots anonymous mass. Basically, this is very enjoyable Renaissance music making.

And I mentioned to que a few days ago the rarity of Binchois's sacred music on record, and here's a bunch of motets and mass movements! I'd completely forgotten about them.

(Such a shame that Kirkman hasn't bitten off Johannes Regis, whose music always sounds to me as though it would benefit from a reappraisal.)

I just dug up this disc for a replay .

kyjo

Quote from: John Copeland on September 27, 2021, 08:06:25 AM

I love everything by Kurt Atterberg, even if some of it is a wee bit samey... ???

I know what you mean, but personally I'm glad that Atterberg sometimes repeated his musical "formula" across some of his works because that formula is such a great one! :D What did you think of that Järvi recording of the 3rd, btw? I've read mostly negative things about it, so I've held off from hearing it.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

ritter

It's been ages since I last listened to any Frank Martin...

Three favourite works. IIRC, the suite from The Tempest and the Jedermann songs were the first pieces of his I ever encountered, on an Deutsche Grammophon LP conducted by the composer. I the performances by Matthias Bamert and his forces on the CD are quite accomplished.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on October 02, 2021, 06:31:15 AM

Disc three.

Todd - will be interested how she might affect your top tiers?  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on October 02, 2021, 07:00:46 AM
I just dug up this disc for a replay .

Yes I'm having my own personal Kirkman festival.  The high points I'm finding are very very high.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 01, 2021, 05:47:44 PM
That would be **so** nice... there are several boxes I have my eye on (the Szell, Munch, and Reiner 'Big Boxes' to name but a few), but they cost an ungodly amount due to being OOP. I'm not holding out much hope they'll be reissued.
Well, it's amazing how often record labels will release similarly boxed sets...you never know!  :)

TD

Beethoven's piano trios Nos. 3 in C minor and No. 5 in D major with the Suk Trio on Supraphon (from that Supraphon album that has them standing right next to an airplane).  Was struck today by the particularly gorgeous largo assai ed espressivo movement in No. 5...ahhhh!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter