Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1932285 times)

"Harry", Irons (+ 2 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #50640 on: October 02, 2021, 08:26:11 AM »
CD 14:

LvB
Sonata № 1 in f minor, Op. 2 № 1
Sonata № 5 in c minor, Op. 10 № 1
Sonata № 6 in F, Op. 10 № 3
Sonata № 22 in F, Op. 54
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #50641 on: October 02, 2021, 08:28:47 AM »
Georg Muffat

A  composer with Scottish ancestors (They had to flee because of the persecution of the Catholics under Elisabeth I)  and father of Gottlieb Muffat (what's in a name you could say)

One of the most appealing pieces for organ for me anyway is the toccata prima from Gearge Muffat and preferable played by Gustav Leonhardt.He recorded it more than once but his DHM recording (Ottobeuren) I like te most.

Georg Muffat's Apparatus musico-organisticus from 1690 is generally known as very interesting for its integration of various European styles. Muffat wrote in a foreword that this work is, as it were, the result of his meeting with leading organists from Germany, France and Italy. An integral performance of this work, consisting of 12 toccatas, a ciacona, a passacaglia and a series of variations over an aria, has been published. Elisabeth Ullman gives an exemplary interpretation on an instrument that has been restored by, among others, Jurgen Ahrend, although one might sometimes wish that the interpretation was a little less exemplary and more in line with the whimsical adventure that Muffat has embarked on when composing these style contrasts.

I have a few recordings of Georg Muffat, but not one by Leonhardt or Ullman. I will look for the recordings.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #50642 on: October 02, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »

Richard Wagner: Orchestral music from Der Ring des Nibelungen. Georg Solti, Vienna Philharmonic

Damn good performances. Currently the Forest Murmurs from Siegfried, one of my favorite Wagnerian moments. When I first heard this, it clicked with me how much influence Debussy drew from Wagner.

Nice!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50643 on: October 02, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
Have you ever heard this performance?

I have it but confess my memory of it is very vague.

I'm not familiar with the Falcioni recording.

Wonderful how musical themes from Toccata Prima returns in the ninth Toccata, I really enjoyed it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #50644 on: October 02, 2021, 08:41:18 AM »

This merits more attention, not least for the instruments and the C major partita!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:09:56 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50645 on: October 02, 2021, 08:53:58 AM »
I have a few recordings of Georg Muffat, but not one by Leonhardt or Ullman. I will look for the recordings.

This is the LP I have

So far as I know not available as a CD,however,I have a sampler that contains the Muffat Toccata prima  but not released in the Leonhardt edition.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50646 on: October 02, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50647 on: October 02, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
Yes I'm having my own personal Kirkman festival.  The high points I'm finding are very very high.

This one seems very attractive,there is so much to discover....

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #50648 on: October 02, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »

This merits more attention, not least for the instrument!

Thought that I had the Rampe recording but I had transferred to a 2-disc jewel box - well, the other disc was a MP3 DL of Gottlieb Muffat (1690-1770), the youngest son of Georg - the performer, Akutagawa has made two volumes of his music on Naxos - reviews of both are attached.  Dave :)

P.S.on Amazon USA there is a brief review signed by G. Wilson who states the performer Naoko Akutagawa is his colleague and wife; of course I thought of the Dutch-American harpsichordist Glen Wilson; his now wife was initially his student - interesting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:27:49 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #50649 on: October 02, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
Carl Maria von Weber
Missa Sancta 1 in E-flat "Freischütz Messe", op. 75a

Soloists, et al.
Bamberg SO & Chorus - Horst Stein
(rec. 1985)

First-Time Listen:

I think Weber's Freischütz Mass offers more than merely utilitarian church-use sort of music, but I also don't think it hits the mystical orbital spheres, if you catch my drift. There are a few standout parts though:

Weber must have had a dynamite soprano soloist available to him at court, for the substantial role is mighty in scope. The opening of the Sanctus is really quite something, the Offertory is an unashamed, drippingly operatic aria, and the Benedictus is quite lovely, also for soprano soloist.

Weber gives the Credo a motivically developed through-line that ties the movement together most satisfactorily, and it is a winner of a theme, for sure.

The unusual choral chords at the opening of the Sanctus is quite strange, and you can hear that it slightly baffles this chorus, but the result is quite striking.

Horst Stein gives this music a firm hand, and the performance is lovely. It certainly deserves more time on record.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:36:06 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #50650 on: October 02, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »

Schumann: Vier Fugen, Op.72

Eric Le Sage (piano)

Pieces that seem unlikely to ever suffer from overexposure, but I enjoy them and find them really rather good. Le Sage as always in Schumann, a trusty hand on the tiller.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #50651 on: October 02, 2021, 10:28:15 AM »

The last Schumann recording I will listen to.  Today.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50652 on: October 02, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
Several selections from Pascal Dusapin's Seven Solos For Orchestra

I love that disc !

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #50653 on: October 02, 2021, 10:34:54 AM »
Georg Muffat

Georg Muffat's Apparatus musico-organisticus from 1690 is generally known as very interesting for its integration of various European styles. Muffat wrote in a foreword that this work is, as it were, the result of his meeting with leading organists from Germany, France and Italy. An integral performance of this work, consisting of 12 toccatas, a ciacona, a passacaglia and a series of variations over an aria, has been published. Elisabeth Ullman gives an exemplary interpretation on an instrument that has been restored by, among others, Jurgen Ahrend, although one might sometimes wish that the interpretation was a little less exemplary and more in line with the whimsical adventure that Muffat has embarked on when composing these style contrasts.

I own ten complete Apparatus Musico-Organisticus sets plus about a dozen recordings of individual pieces from the work, some of these containing more than seven of the toccatas.

My all time favorite is Heinz-Markus Göttsche, maybe a tad oldfashioned but grandiose and expressive.

The most agreable modern complete sets come IMO from Kelemen and Haselböck.

I always found Ullman and Radulescu uninspiring.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #50654 on: October 02, 2021, 10:42:41 AM »
NP:

Adams
Harmonielehre
Berliners
Adams

From this new arrival -

Stunning! Adams' own take on his classic Harmonielehre is a bit on the slower side, but you can really hear all of the details of the work shine through. Completely exhilarating in its aural beauty.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50655 on: October 02, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
So with all the Koechlin excitement going on, and never having heard the composer, I asked MI (John) where I should start with Koechlin.  His recommendation was this, which I bought off ebay for a quick fiver (bargain) and it arrived today.  What a well spent fiver.  As soon as it started,  the mezzo-soprano voice came into the room in the most beautiful way (Seal Lullaby) and I knew I was in for a treat.  A wild run through the jungle with brilliant orchestration took me to the Meditation of Purun Baghat, which blew me away with...eh...wonderousness!  The whole things has got me from the first second of play, and I expect to find as much Koechlin as I can for further listening.  Extremely happy,

This version of The Jungle Book follows the opus numbering (18, 95, 159, 175 and 176). Koechlin worked on the work for some 50 years, so you get to hear his language evolve as the numbers follow one another, which is of course very interesting.  It is not however how he wanted to present it. When he finished the series of Jungle tone poems he insisted on following Kipling’s narrative order, whis is Opus 175, 176, 18, 159, 95. Try to hear it that way and you’ll get a very different picture ! Other versions follow Koechlin’s definitive numbering, others offer the tone poems as standalone entities. I copied the Zinman disc on the computer and burned it on cd in the ‘correct’ order, so I can hear it both ways easily. Of course you don’t have to do that if it’s already on your computer list  ;).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50656 on: October 02, 2021, 10:51:59 AM »

I found this disc a bit intractable at first - Cantiga especially, with its gruesome narative. It’s starting to grow on me after an additional hearing.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #50657 on: October 02, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »
Carl Maria von Weber
Missa Sancta 2 in G "Jubel Messe", op. 76

Soloists, et al.
Werner Keltsch Instrumental Ens. & Stuttgart Hymnus Boys' Choir
Gerhard Wilhelm
(rec. 1968)

A bit more efficient than the 1st, the Jubel Mass doesn't hit the same heights as Freischütz. I am not a fan of boy trebles either, so it is a shame that this didn't have Horst Stein and his Bamberg forces returning for this 2nd Mass.

But the soloist work remains particularly outstanding, and the meaty soprano role is still great. The horns throughout the Sanctus are glorious too!

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #50658 on: October 02, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
This version of The Jungle Book follows the opus numbering (18, 95, 159, 175 and 176). Koechlin worked on the work for some 50 years, so you get to hear his language evolve as the numbers follow one another, which is of course very interesting.  It is not however how he wanted to present it. When he finished the series of Jungle tone poems he insisted on following Kipling’s narrative order, whis is Opus 175, 176, 18, 159, 95. Try to hear it that way and you’ll get a very different picture ! Other versions follow Koechlin’s definitive numbering, others offer the tone poems as standalone entities. I copied the Zinman disc on the computer and burned it on cd in the ‘correct’ order, so I can hear it both ways easily. Of course you don’t have to do that if it’s already on your computer list  ;).

This is quite right. The Bedford on Actes Sud, which has long been OOP follows Koechlin's correct order and, in some ways, from a performance standpoint, I prefer him over Zinman.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:54:34 AM by Mirror Image »
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #50659 on: October 02, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »
So with all the Koechlin excitement going on, and never having heard the composer, I asked MI (John) where I should start with Koechlin.  His recommendation was this, which I bought off ebay for a quick fiver (bargain) and it arrived today.  What a well spent fiver.  As soon as it started,  the mezzo-soprano voice came into the room in the most beautiful way (Seal Lullaby) and I knew I was in for a treat.  A wild run through the jungle with brilliant orchestration took me to the Meditation of Purun Baghat, which blew me away with...eh...wonderousness!  The whole things has got me from the first second of play, and I expect to find as much Koechlin as I can for further listening.  Extremely happy,

Very nice, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot