Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1593135 times)

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #51600 on: October 13, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »
Maybe not, but it's the truth.

It would have been preferable if you'd actually acknowledged that you've confused me with those GMG'ers who no longer purchase CDs. Your whole argument was directed at that, which was not even what I was talking about.

See you. I'm off to keep listening to the Haydn CDs I bought.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Charles Ives (1874 - 1954)
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #51601 on: October 13, 2021, 09:11:32 PM »
It would have been preferable if you'd actually acknowledged that you've confused me with those GMG'ers who no longer purchase CDs. Your whole argument was directed at that, which was not even what I was talking about.

See you. I'm off to keep listening to the Haydn CDs I bought.

I acknowledge that there was no need for you to respond to my initial post about Glass in the first place. Your response to my post came across negatively to me as if you're somehow smarter than I am because you've "saved your money" and it's a curious comment especially after I said I'm going to keep trying with his music. So, no, I didn't waste my money and I'm glad to have his music in my collection.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.” - Charles Ives

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Charles Ives (1874 - 1954)
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #51602 on: October 13, 2021, 09:24:51 PM »
One last work before retiring for the night:

Koechlin
Vers la Voûte étoilée, Op. 129
Stuttgart RSO
Holliger

Beautifully cosmic.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.” - Charles Ives

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #51603 on: October 13, 2021, 10:12:47 PM »
One last work before retiring for the night:

Koechlin
Vers la Voûte étoilée, Op. 129
Stuttgart RSO
Holliger

Beautifully cosmic.

My favorite Koechlin work at this moment in time. Sublime!

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51604 on: October 13, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
Morning listening, newly in:

A new recording of music by Jean Mouton,  here accompanied by plainchant, is not an every day occurrence. A happy occasion and a wonderful performance, save for the occasional overbearing presence of the countertenor.  @Harry: might be a deal breaker for you...

Yes I agree, it’s very good, Pierre de la Rue is very good!

Together with the Beauty Farm set the De la Rue discography has gotten a nice boost.  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:17:59 PM by Que »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51605 on: October 13, 2021, 10:57:52 PM »
Music for Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain

In my opinion a classic...

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #51606 on: October 13, 2021, 10:59:33 PM »
Morning listening, newly in:

A new recording of music by Jean Mouton,  here accompanied by plainchant, is not an every day occurrence. A happy occasion and a wonderful performance, save for the occasional overbearing presence of the countertenor.  @Harry: might be a deal breaker for you...

What a shame, I love the music by Mouton, and there are little enough recordings as it is. But I am rather allergic to overbearing counter tenors, that's true.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #51607 on: October 13, 2021, 11:12:54 PM »
Frank Bridge: 'Oration' - a masterpiece.
The cover image shows the Sussex countryside as viewed from Bridge's house at Friston, Eastbourne:

I own the LP issue, Jeffrey.

Philip Sawyers: Cello Concerto.

May be gobbledygook but after repeated listens I get the strong impression that Elgar's Cello Concerto is lurking in the DNA of Sawyers' work. They share the same emotional envelope. The richness of tone from Bogdanovic's cello is spine-tingling, I have heard few recordings as good. Highly recommended.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #51608 on: October 13, 2021, 11:34:05 PM »
My favorite Koechlin work at this moment in time. Sublime!
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51609 on: October 13, 2021, 11:37:34 PM »
Froberger

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #51610 on: October 13, 2021, 11:38:18 PM »

May be gobbledygook but after repeated listens I get the strong impression that Elgar's Cello Concerto is lurking in the DNA of Sawyers' work. They share the same emotional envelope. The richness of tone from Bogdanovic's cello is spine-tingling, I have heard few recordings as good. Highly recommended.
I didn't know that there was an LP of the Cologne recording Lol.
NP
Frankel Symphony No.1
Not the easiest music (for me) but oddly gripping and searching, conveying a sense of journey.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #51611 on: October 14, 2021, 12:05:12 AM »
I acknowledge that there was no need for you to respond to my initial post about Glass in the first place. Your response to my post came across negatively to me as if you're somehow smarter than I am because you've "saved your money" and it's a curious comment especially after I said I'm going to keep trying with his music. So, no, I didn't waste my money and I'm glad to have his music in my collection.
Not to take any sides here, but I have never understood the point of having any opinion on how other people spend their time or money. As long as it doesn't hurt other people directly or indirectly (e.g. environment) we shouldn't care.

I am from a generation where the only possibility of listening to significant amounts of music was to have a personal library, and I always dreamt of having one. Old habits and dreams die hard, and I now have a large library which I love, but which also seem sligthly over the top and frankly to some degree unneccessary. But I still buy the occasional disc for the thrill. I still like books on paper too, and quite often have to discard them as useless paper. Even though I have a kindle (but I have grown into hating amazon for a number of reasons).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:17:46 AM by The new erato »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51612 on: October 14, 2021, 12:25:33 AM »
 Gregorian Chant

This recording begins with the beautiful "Salve Festa Dies"

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #51613 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:37 AM »

A alert, energised, clear headed and confident interpretation. He must be doing something right because I’m finding it hard to pull myself away from the recording!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:53:23 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51614 on: October 14, 2021, 12:53:49 AM »

A alert, energised, clear headed and confident interpretation.

Sounds very sympathetic with well-dosed acoustics

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #51615 on: October 14, 2021, 01:34:40 AM »
Not to take any sides here, but I have never understood the point of having any opinion on how other people spend their time or money.

Sigh. But I don't have an opinion on it, beyond attempting to interpret MI's own comments. I certainly saw no need to comment on his original purchase of Glass albums. But when someone says that they bought something and don't like it, I interpret that as a complaint. I was suggesting a solution to avoid that situation.

Apparently that was not correct. Apparently, spending your money on things that you don't like is not actually a source of regret for some people, and you can always hope that one day you will come to like what you don't currently like.

So be it. So long as there's never any follow-up complaint about not having the money to spend on things that one does like, it's all academic.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 01:38:31 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #51616 on: October 14, 2021, 01:50:03 AM »
I know. This was a rather general comment from me, not trying to involve myself in any misunderstandings.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #51617 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:38 AM »
My signature tune from now on

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6hxfS8d94SQ&amp;t=2s&amp;ab_channel=Grandad%27sMusic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6hxfS8d94SQ&amp;t=2s&amp;ab_channel=Grandad%27sMusic</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #51618 on: October 14, 2021, 02:26:16 AM »
Good morning all,

Starting a maiden listen to Scriabin's symphonies. Playing No.1.

Olivier

Offline foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #51619 on: October 14, 2021, 03:36:27 AM »

This is a great release. I am thoroughly enjoying everything I am hearing from Sawyers, particularly his symphonies.