What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka (+ 1 Hidden) and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

71 dB

Ferruccio Busoni - Fantasia Contrappuntistica - Wolf Harden - Naxos 8.555034

$:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MusicTurner

Quote from: 71 dB on October 15, 2021, 11:35:29 AM

Excellent.

foxandpeng

Peter Maxwell Davies
The Strathclyde Concertos 1 & 2
PMD
Scottish Chamber Orchestra

First listen Friday, with a Boxergrail Rabbit Hole Rye to usher in the weekend...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Iota

Bernstein: Symphony No. 2, "The Age of Anxiety"

Not being in the mood for much musically today, this arrived at the eleventh hour, with a kaleidoscopic array of timbres, melodies and moods, and saved the day. Much appreciated and enjoyed.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 15, 2021, 11:35:29 AM

I like that one, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2021, 01:38:20 PM
I like that one, too!

Cool.  0:) I don't know much of Busoni's music, but he seems an interesting case.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

foxandpeng

Peter Maxwell Davies
Symphony #2
St Thomas Wake
PMD
BBC Philharmonic
Naxos

After the grand and powerful #1, described by PMD as "permeated by the presence of the sea and the landscape of this isolated place off the north coast of Scotland", turbulent, and rammed with multi-layered percussion, this symphony is equally worth hearing, in my mind.

Again the sea! Apparently, PMD says it speaks of 'the tensions set up by the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea "at the foot of the cliff before my window".'

Whatever the inspiration or intention, I'm enjoying wrestling with music that is quite difficult at times, and needs lots of concentration.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 15, 2021, 02:42:37 PM
Cool.  0:) I don't know much of Busoni's music, but he seems an interesting case.

If you can find it affordably (I think it's a Brilliant release) Sandro Ivo Bartoli's Busoni disc is very nice
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Joel Feigin: Aviv

A very fine work for piano and chamber orchestra.

Szymanowski's Symphony No. 4 'Symphonie Concertante' makes for an excellent followup:

Karl Henning

I'm sure it was our Cato who first put med on to Tansman
Tansman
Symphony № 2 in a minor (1926) À Serge Koussevitzky
Melbourne Symphony
Caetani

Koussevitzky conducted the première at the Paris Grand Opéra on 28 May 1927, his final concert appearance in Europe before taking up his post in Boston.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

classicalgeek

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 15, 2021, 11:11:50 AM
Hello CGeek - that was me listening to my 4 CDs of WG Still yesterday; all of the orchestral discs where w/ Jeter and the Fort Smith Symphony - the reviewers were quite positive about the 'band', so had to look them up - seems that they source likely excellent musicians from all over the place according to the description quoted below from their website.

But I must say for a Still 'change of pace' that chamber Koch disc is excellent but seems to be OOP and really overpriced now on Amazon, unfortunately - there was a 'piano music' recording w/ Mark Boozer that piqued my interest from the Amazon reviews (but one of my favorite reviewers there J. Scott Morrison dropped a star, so I was hesitant) - but still in the back of my mind.  Dave :)

I'm definitely intrigued to listen to more Still, even if his style didn't grab me right away. Spotify has a decent selection of his music, including the Boozer piano music disc you mentioned, chamber music, songs, other orchestral works, and an opera called 'Highway 1, USA'. So plenty to choose from.

Thread duty - sampling Karajan in more non-core-German works:

Sibelius
Symphony no. 4
Symphony no. 6
Berlin Philharmonic
Herbert von Karajan

(on Spotify)

I like Karajan's middle- to late-Sibelius - maybe not as a first choice, but definitely as a different point of view.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

classicalgeek

Finishing up the work week with an outstanding Shostakovich 8:

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 8
London Symphony Orchestra
Andre Previn

(on Spotify)

My preferred Shostakovich 8 has been Haitink and the Concertgebouw on Decca, but Previn is at least as good - he does the shattering climaxes perfectly (in the first movement, linking the third and fourth movements [which is particularly terrifying], and about halfway through the finale). I love the way he characterizes the trio of the scherzo (the vibrato in the trumpet solo is spot-on). I could have used a touch more desolation and detachment in the fourth movement and throughout the symphony, but all in all, a really excellent performance. I've been eyeing the Previn Warner Box - I'm not sure if it's OOP yet or heading in that direction - but this is one more reason to get it if I still can!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

foxandpeng

Havergal Brian
Symphony #10
Martyn Brabbins
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Dutton

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 15, 2021, 05:49:35 PM
Finishing up the work week with an outstanding Shostakovich 8:

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 8
London Symphony Orchestra
Andre Previn

(on Spotify)

My preferred Shostakovich 8 has been Haitink and the Concertgebouw on Decca, but Previn is at least as good - he does the shattering climaxes perfectly (in the first movement, linking the third and fourth movements [which is particularly terrifying], and about halfway through the finale). I love the way he characterizes the trio of the scherzo (the vibrato in the trumpet solo is spot-on). I could have used a touch more desolation and detachment in the fourth movement and throughout the symphony, but all in all, a really excellent performance. I've been eyeing the Previn Warner Box - I'm not sure if it's OOP yet or heading in that direction - but this is one more reason to get it if I still can!

Just to let you know, all of Previn's Shostakovich on EMI (now Warner of course) can be bought as Japanese reissues. This is the way I acquired them. I initially cancelled an order with Amazon Japan, but the window to cancel closed before I could get back to it in time, so now I'll own all of Previn's Shostakovich on Warner. 8) He did the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th and 13th.

Irons

Peter Warlock: The Curlew.

A dark masterpiece.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Irons on October 15, 2021, 11:40:06 PM
Peter Warlock: The Curlew.

A dark masterpiece.

An absolutely wonderful work and this is, I think, its best recording. Quite superb.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Tsaraslondon

Percy Grainger was certainly an original who defies classification and this is an absolutely superb selection of orchestral music from his not so large output.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas