Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1732186 times)

classicalgeek (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #51780 on: October 16, 2021, 03:20:51 AM »
Triste Plaisir

A beautiful recording

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51781 on: October 16, 2021, 03:23:56 AM »
Triste Plaisir

A beautiful recording

Very interesting, thnx for posting!  :)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51782 on: October 16, 2021, 03:43:08 AM »
Very interesting, thnx for posting!  :)

Dear Que,you responded also when I posted this recording for the first time.Still not listened to it?  :)

Susanne Ansorg  has a voice very suitable for this type of music.Everything sounds effortless and involved,I like it very much.The instrumental pieces are also first class.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #51783 on: October 16, 2021, 04:21:38 AM »

Atlanta Symphony has announced their new music director, French conductor/contralto Nathalie Stutzmann. Stutzmann will officially begin her role with the ASO in the spring of 2022. It was time for a change as Robert Spano had been ASO's MD for 20 years, and I think is a good decision for the orchestra, and hope that Stutzmann finds great success! I found a video of Stutzmann conducting Tchaikovsky 5th on YouTube which I found exciting and liked her interpretation, but mostly found her vocal work streaming online, so I chose this disc to listen to...

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #51784 on: October 16, 2021, 04:26:15 AM »

André,

How did you like that album?  What did you think of the violin concerto in particular?

Totally agree Lol - and that is the greatest recorded performance.
NP
VW Symphony No.8
This is a very good performance, harder-driven than most but still with a very eloquent third movement. I like the other works on the CD as well. I'm a fan of Thomson's VW cycle:

Love that LP cover!

Atlanta Symphony has announced their new music director, French conductor/contralto Nathalie Stutzmann. Stutzmann will officially begin her role with the ASO in the spring of 2022. It was time for a change as Robert Spano had been ASO's MD for 20 years, and I think is a good decision for the orchestra, and hope that Stutzmann finds great success! I found a video of Stutzmann conducting Tchaikovsky 5th on YouTube which I found exciting and liked her interpretation, but mostly found her vocal work streaming online, so I chose this disc to listen to...

Good to see more women getting appointed as music directors.  :)  I haven't heard any recordings/concerts with her conducting before, but am looking forward to it.

PD

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #51785 on: October 16, 2021, 04:28:58 AM »

Strangely enough, it was only earlier today that I even found out that Stutzmann was a conductor! I know her as a singer from the Hyperion series of Vivaldi sacred works.

Maybe this announcement was the reason they were playing one of her performances on the classical radio here - apparently it was something that she was conducting and singing, which is quite a feat.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
« Reply #51786 on: October 16, 2021, 04:39:30 AM »
Strangely enough, it was only earlier today that I even found out that Stutzmann was a conductor! I know her as a singer from the Hyperion series of Vivaldi sacred works.

Maybe this announcement was the reason they were playing one of her performances on the classical radio here - apparently it was something that she was conducting and singing, which is quite a feat.
I believe that I have a few of her recordings (in complete operas or scenes from).  I went to her website and found some videos of her--including one of Handel in which she's doing both the conducting and singing.  Here:  https://nathaliestutzmann.com/videos/

Beautiful!

PD

p.s.  Tried to embed a video but didn't work...probably because I got rid of Flash!  :(

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #51787 on: October 16, 2021, 04:47:23 AM »
I had a look at the Tchiak 5 video - technically she's clear and precise - which as an orchestral player I like even before a jot of "interpreting" is done.  The only thing I find curious - and this is nothing to do with gender - is how a singer is able to be deeply familiar with the bulk of orchestral repertoire.  I don't know Stutzmann's background to know if she was an instrumentalist before she became known as a singer, but if not its a very steep learning curve for her because the bottom line is most of the people she will be conducting will know the music better than her.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51788 on: October 16, 2021, 04:48:45 AM »
Josquin Desprez

• Veteran member
« Reply #51789 on: October 16, 2021, 05:15:29 AM »
I had a look at the Tchiak 5 video - technically she's clear and precise - which as an orchestral player I like even before a jot of "interpreting" is done.  The only thing I find curious - and this is nothing to do with gender - is how a singer is able to be deeply familiar with the bulk of orchestral repertoire.  I don't know Stutzmann's background to know if she was an instrumentalist before she became known as a singer, but if not its a very steep learning curve for her because the bottom line is most of the people she will be conducting will know the music better than her.
There's a video here of her being interviewed about her career which might help shed a little light on your questions.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKdUnb16pGU

PD

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #51790 on: October 16, 2021, 05:16:54 AM »

Susanne Ansorg  has a voice very suitable for this type of music.Everything sounds effortless and involved,I like it very much.The instrumental pieces are also first class.

???

The singer on this recording is Lena Susanne Norin.
Susanne Ansorg plays fiddle and rebec. From the top of my head I don't recall her singing on any recordings.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #51791 on: October 16, 2021, 05:17:49 AM »
Tansman
Symphonie concertante (Symphony № 3) (1931)
for pf quartet & orch
À sa Majesté Elisabeth, Reine des Belges
Wilma Smith, vn
Katharine Brockman, va
David Berlin, vc
Caroline Almonte, pf
Melbourne Symphony
Caetani
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #51792 on: October 16, 2021, 05:22:39 AM »
I'm not familiar with Ms. Stutzmann's work, either as a vocalist or conductor (I didn't even know she was a conductor until I heard the announcement the other day) but it is always a pleasure to hear about woman conductor finding success. Looking forward to seeing what she'll do with our ASO. I wasn't particularly interested in seeing Tchaikovsky's 5th which she conducted here this past week, but I'll have to catch some of her performances.

Anyway, here is what I'm listening to this morning:

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.9 in D minor, WAB 109. Günter Wand, NDR-Sinfonieorchester, live recording from Lübeck Cathedral

Wand is one of a school of "patient" Brucknerian conductors (mostly Germans) who let the music speak for itself. Early in my exploration of Bruckner I was talked out of buying the Wand/Köln Bruckner cycle in favor of the Barenboim/Berlin, a decision I do not regret in the slightest, but as a result I have not spent much time with Wand's recordings. This recording is brilliant, though. It all comes together like a flowing river. Interpretively they are not similar by any means, but I am reminded somehow, in feeling, of the Celibidache Bruckner 4th. Phenomenal orchestral sound from the Hamburg orchestra in Lübeck, the idyllic, Hanseatic hometown of Thomas Mann. Need to hear the Wand/NDR Bruckner 8th at the same cathedral.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #51793 on: October 16, 2021, 05:33:02 AM »
I believe that I have a few of her recordings (in complete operas or scenes from).  I went to her website and found some videos of her--including one of Handel in which she's doing both the conducting and singing.  Here:  https://nathaliestutzmann.com/videos/

Beautiful!

PD

p.s.  Tried to embed a video but didn't work...probably because I got rid of Flash!  :(

Okay, that Handel aria is gorgeous!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51794 on: October 16, 2021, 05:36:04 AM »
???

The singer on this recording is Lena Susanne Norin.
Susanne Ansorg plays fiddle and rebec. From the top of my head I don't recall her singing on any recordings.

Very clumsy, you're right, didn't pay attention!  :o

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #51795 on: October 16, 2021, 05:40:18 AM »

Op 31.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #51796 on: October 16, 2021, 05:42:20 AM »
Symphony 1 'War' features (with a much less interesting cover image) in this enjoyable 2 CD set:

That cover art is chaotic. Especially the red color of the "meet the composer" works poorly with the overall green-blue-orange color theme. I re-designed the cover into something more orderly and controlled:

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #51797 on: October 16, 2021, 05:42:46 AM »
It's a work that I have increasingly come to appreciate.

It's growing on me too.  :)

Triste Plaisir

A beautiful recording

Thanks for posting, a beautiful recording indeed! My interest is always aroused when I see Lena Susanne Norin involved, ever since I got fairly hooked on her Figures of Harmony recording with Crawford Young. There's a spellbinding tranquillity about her voice, yet it's always full of nuance and feeling. The instrumental playing on the disc is quite something too.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #51798 on: October 16, 2021, 05:43:17 AM »
HINDEMITH, P.: Nobilissima Visione (Complete Ballet Music.)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #51799 on: October 16, 2021, 05:44:11 AM »
André,

How did you like that album?  What did you think of the violin concerto in particular?
Love that LP cover!
Good to see more women getting appointed as music directors.  :)  I haven't heard any recordings/concerts with her conducting before, but am looking forward to it.

PD
Re: LP cover PD - all those Thomson VW symphony recordings feature paintings by J.M.W. Turner - I think they go well with the music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).