What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv, Linz and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2021, 05:22:39 AM

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.9 in D minor, WAB 109. Günter Wand, NDR-Sinfonieorchester, live recording from Lübeck Cathedral

Wand is one of a school of "patient" Brucknerian conductors (mostly Germans) who let the music speak for itself. Early in my exploration of Bruckner I was talked out of buying the Wand/Köln Bruckner cycle in favor of the Barenboim/Berlin, a decision I do not regret in the slightest, but as a result I have not spent much time with Wand's recordings. This recording is brilliant, though. It all comes together like a flowing river. Interpretively they are not similar by any means, but I am reminded somehow, in feeling, of the Celibidache Bruckner 4th. Phenomenal orchestral sound from the Hamburg orchestra in Lübeck, the idyllic, Hanseatic hometown of Thomas Mann. Need to hear the Wand/NDR Bruckner 8th at the same cathedral.

I am with you on Wand in Bruckner and I do own the Köln cycle. Just curious, have you tried Jochum in Bruckner at all?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 16, 2021, 05:43:17 AM
HINDEMITH, P.: Nobilissima Visione (Complete Ballet Music.)

Time I listened to that again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on October 16, 2021, 06:02:45 AM
I am with you on Wand in Bruckner and I do own the Köln cycle. Just curious, have you tried Jochum in Bruckner at all?

Only the sacred music, I have Jochum's recording of the three masses, and the Te Deum, psalms and motets. Have not heard his symphony cycles yet. I expect to like them. I am fond of Jochum's work.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2021, 06:07:15 AM
Time I listened to that again.

Nice music, but the performance is just fair.
The disc below is another recording of complete ballet, but it is oop.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2021, 06:07:47 AM
Only the sacred music, I have Jochum's recording of the three masses, and the Te Deum, psalms and motets. Have not heard his symphony cycles yet. I expect to like them. I am fond of Jochum's work.

OK, so you know what to expect from the Symphonies from what you have already experienced with the Sacred Music under Jochum. As you already know there is not a quantum leap between Bruckner's Sacred and Symphonic music.
Happy listening  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on October 16, 2021, 06:15:32 AM
OK, so you know what to expect from the Symphonies from what you have already experienced with the Sacred Music under Jochum. As you already know there is not a quantum leap between Bruckner's Sacred and Symphonic music.
Happy listening  :)

Maybe not a quantum leap, but there are some fundamental differences, I think. In any case, the sacred music has yet to fully click with me like the symphonies have.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2021, 05:44:11 AM
Re: LP cover PD - all those Thomson VW symphony recordings feature paintings by J.M.W. Turner - I think they go well with the music.
Ah, that explains it!  Years ago, I had this picture (poster) up in my living quarters  :):

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam conducted by Mariss Jansons - live performance from 1990

Todd

Another go, through cans this time.  Ms Huangci must of course record everything under the sun, but she really needs to record solo Ravel.  The pristine fingerwork on display here - and in everything she does - mandates it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 04:26:15 AM
André,

How did you like that album?  What did you think of the violin concerto in particular?
Love that LP cover!
Good to see more women getting appointed as music directors.  :)  I haven't heard any recordings/concerts with her conducting before, but am looking forward to it.

PD

Hi, PD. The disc is still in the player, I have to give it another spin before I can comment. I've had it for years but didn't remember a thing when I put it on yesterday. One thing I can comment on is that the VC has been cut at a very low level and the violin is recorded distantly - which may be a realistic balance, but doesn't help in terms of the listening experience. I note that there are a few versions on disc out there, so presumably the piece holds a certain interest to violinists. That of Benjamin Schmid looks interesting. He's one of my favourite violinists and the coupling appeals to me (Klami's concerto).

Mandryka

What makes this recording stand out from all the other Missa Se La Face est pale? Is it worth having if you already have access to pleasant performances of the music?

The sound quality is excellent, radiant. And the ordinarium is interspersed with some lovely polyphonic propers, unrecorded elsewhere as far as I know - this is another valuable unique selling point.

The interpretation is very much about independent parts and sweet harmonious cross relations at the cadences, and calm rapt control - never showy. The tactus is well chosen IMO - the music breathes and I have lots of time to smell the roses. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is one to a part, it's really hard to say. The recording is beefed up with some of Dufay's motet, including a lovely rendition of Magnanime Gentis.

There's a tenor who caught my attention. The countertenor sounds like a ♂

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Iota on October 16, 2021, 05:42:46 AM
It's growing on me too.  :)

Thanks for posting, a beautiful recording indeed! My interest is always aroused when I see Lena Susanne Norin involved, ever since I got fairly hooked on her Figures of Harmony recording with Crawford Young. There's a spellbinding tranquillity about her voice, yet it's always full of nuance and feeling. The instrumental playing on the disc is quite something too.

Happy to read this  :)

Traverso

Bach

This is my oldest organ LP with the eight little preludes and fugues.
As a very young man I visited a Trappist monastery and as I walked into the church a theology student who was also proficient in playing the organ was playing these pieces. It was a lovely experience on a sunny winter morning.

Albert de Klerk and Meindert Boekel  (chorals) organ

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2021, 06:45:54 AM

What makes this recording stand out from all the other Missa Se La Face est pale? Is it worth having if you already have access to pleasant performances of the music?

The sound quality is excellent, radiant. And the ordinarium is interspersed with some lovely polyphonic propers, unrecorded elsewhere as far as I know - this is another valuable unique selling point.

The interpretation is very much about independent parts and sweet harmonious cross relations at the cadences, and calm rapt control - never showy. The tactus is well chosen IMO - the music breathes and
I have lots of time to smell the roses. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is one to a part, it's really hard to say. The recording is beefed up with some of Dufay's motet, including a lovely rendition of Magnanime Gentis.
There's a tenor who caught my attention. The countertenor sounds like a ♂

Looks like I'll have to add this one to my collection, thank you very much for this recommendation.  :)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 16, 2021, 05:55:08 AM
I think that is a wonderful set.

Right,some parts are really very beautifully sung, in my opinion the recordings are a bit too reverberant, anyway I'm glad I have them. My preference  goes to the motets, although the masses are not to be missed.  :)

SonicMan46

Wölfl, Joseph - String Quartets, Op. 4, 10, & 30 w/ the three groups shown below, all performing on period instruments - Wölfl (also Woelfl) wrote at least 18 string quartets (see HERE) - 9 are performed on these 3 recordings, although there is one duplication, thus 8 in toto.  I own about 10 CDs of this short lived composer, the rest mainly piano sonatas/concertos (except for one disc of Symphonies).  Dave :)

Traverso

Purcell

Emma Kirkby  "When I am laid in earth" ,never heard it more moving

André

1954 mono performance. Good but not outstanding mono sound - gets a bit cloudy when the timps rage in I and IV. The performance itself is precision and dedication incarnate - an überobjektiv take on this most subjective score. Thrilling but slightly inflexible IMO.

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2021, 05:50:43 AM
A fantastic work! I love this performance, too. Have you heard the Zimerman/Rattle performance on DG? It's a must-hear!

No, but a visit is planned, in part motivated by the praise that disc has received here from you and others. Look forward to it!