Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 06:26:56 AM
Ah, that explains it!  Years ago, I had this picture (poster) up in my living quarters  :):

PD
Love it! 'The Lady of Shalott' by J.W. Waterhouse (1888). She looks like a 1960s hippy, flower-power girl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Klavier

Mandryka

Solazzo Ensemble, Italian Ars Nova -- good sound and good video. In concert what makes them special for me, apart from the music of course, is their rapport with each other and the audience. The twinkle in the eye. The video lets you see that.

Also a nice view of organetto playing!

https://www.youtube.com/v/r66QkVEG-0Q&ab_channel=Antigone
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

And the channel seems rather good, here's The Great Man on what looks like top form with interesting music. Love the way he's plonked the harpsichord on what looks like a pile of old boxes with an old curtain thrown over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/v/SJ2qxNfOL5Q&ab_channel=Antigone

I wonder if he's planning on a new Frescobaldi release -- the Frescobaldi here is very good! A memorable cento partite.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Artem

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Traverso on October 16, 2021, 08:52:36 AM
Purcell

Emma Kirkby  "When I am laid in earth" ,never heard it more moving

I hadn't heard her recording of that aria before, but enjoyed listening to it on youtube.  How do you like the other singers, etc. in that recording Traverso?

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2021, 09:31:21 AM
Love it! 'The Lady of Shalott' by J.W. Waterhouse (1888). She looks like a 1960s hippy, flower-power girl.
At that time in my life, I was particularly enthralled with tales of King Arthur, the Knights of the R.T., etc.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 2 [Ashkenazy]

Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 2 was always an odd one for me and I am still not sure that I understand it. I have always found it to be a problematic work. One of its issues for me is the multiplicity of movements in it. Perhaps this affects the work's coherency and cogency in presenting a unified whole; is it too fragmented?
Anyway, being objective, the presentation here is excellent with all parties performing superbly. The blend between the vocal and instrumental elements is very fine indeed. The final movement is particularly powerful.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2021, 06:20:43 AM
....In any case, the sacred music [Bruckner] has yet to fully click with me like the symphonies have.

Without trying to sound patronising I think that you are doing very well so far in your Bruckner exploration.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on October 16, 2021, 06:48:20 AM
Bach

This is my oldest organ LP with the eight little preludes and fugues.
As a very young man I visited a Trappist monastery and as I walked into the church a theology student who was also proficient in playing the organ was playing these pieces. It was a lovely experience on a sunny winter morning.

Albert de Klerk and Meindert Boekel  (chorals) organ

I remember that you had kept certain LPs, Jan, But I cannot remember whether or not you still have a turntable.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on October 16, 2021, 08:56:06 AM

1954 mono performance. Good but not outstanding mono sound - gets a bit cloudy when the timps rage in I and IV. The performance itself is precision and dedication incarnate - an überobjektiv take on this most subjective score. Thrilling but slightly inflexible IMO.

Looks interesting. I will look for the recording. I like Markevitch's old DG recording of Wagner's overtures.

SonicMan46

Wölfl, Joseph (1773-1812) - Keyboard Sonatas w/ Aldaberto Maria Riva, Jon Nakamatsu, & Laure Colladant - I've been spending the day w/ Wölfl (String Quartets in an earlier post); KB Sonatas for the afternoon w/ three different performers (as shown below), two on piano and Colladant on fortepiano; also have the latter in harp duos - she has other recordings which are OOP and impossible to find (Que's been posting on her periodically); even Spotify has only a single flute sonata recording available! 

Wölfl (or Woelfl) was a short-lived but prolific composer (over 600 works) w/ 68 or so KB Sonatas - SO, much remaining that should be explored and recorded - his music is quite good - attached are reviews of recordings posted.  Dave :)

Traverso

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 12:51:01 PM
I hadn't heard her recording of that aria before, but enjoyed listening to it on youtube.  How do you like the other singers, etc. in that recording Traverso?
At that time in my life, I was particularly enthralled with tales of King Arthur, the Knights of the R.T., etc.   :)

PD

I like all the voices, different in caracter as the are suited for their role.

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on October 16, 2021, 12:59:24 PM
Without trying to sound patronising I think that you are doing very well so far in your Bruckner exploration.

Patronize away  ;D I've been listening to Bruckner since late 2019, but still feel that I'm new to his music. There is much I have yet to fully understand. Happy to rate him as one of my favorite composers now.

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2021, 02:31:04 PM
Patronize away  ;D I've been listening to Bruckner since late 2019, but still feel that I'm new to his music. There is much I have yet to fully understand. Happy to rate him as one of my favorite composers now.

Good to hear flamme!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Traverso on October 16, 2021, 02:30:26 PM
I like all the voices, different in caracter as the are suited for their role.
Do you happen to know if it's played on period instruments or not?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 16, 2021, 01:01:19 PM
I remember that you had kept certain LPs, Jan, But I cannot remember whether or not you still have a turntable.

I have Fergus,I used to have a Denon DP 67 but I sold It a few years ago.It was still in mint condition but I was worried about the lack of spare parts.Ik have still a turntable in excellent condition,a very simple indistructable Lenco L75 .Everything original with a Ortofon 2M blue.
It does the job very well.The Denon turntable was impressive just by the looks at it.
The Lenco is not a bad player and more than forty years old.
It will outlive me,I'm sure.
I used my phone for this post wich is rather difficult. :)

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No. 6 "Le Matin", Fey conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

I never really tire of listening to the Requiem, authenticity be damned ! This is one of the best versions I know. Richter is smack in the middle of the timing range for the works (51 minutes, most being between 45-56 minutes long). It has breadth, but great drive in the right places, and not a single movement drags or sounds tired. Furthermore it is superbly played and sung. The recorded sound (1961, venue unknown) is wide-ranging and warm, although there are bits of peaking when sopranos sing exposed passages. The Munich Bach Orchestra was a chamber ensemble made up of players from the BRSO, the Munich Philharmonic and other bavarian ensembles. Its proficiency was unrivalled at the time. The vocal soloists are excellent.

Traverso

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 02:43:28 PM
Do you happen to know if it's played on period instruments or not?

PD

Yes it is played on period instruments.