What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Selection for violin and piano from Pan Twardowski and the Violin Concerto. This is wonderful music. Pieces with personality and charm, that hook you. The latter is especially gorgeous and lyric, quite a find, I must say, something to wallow in and to be moved by the emotions it conveys and generates. Whereas the 1st movement is mostly slow, poetic, moving, the 2nd one is more dynamic at the beginning, energetic and frolicsome. A delight, and later it gets melancholy and wistful. It's a shame it was left unfinished, but what we have in this splendid two-movement work and recording are something to be grateful.

Sawyers: Cello Concerto

Irons was right. A phenomenal piece, poignant in some parts. I also had in my notes some impressions of the 2nd Symphony. Stirring and even better than the 1st. Thank you for the heads up, Irons!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on October 16, 2021, 09:08:59 AM
No, but a visit is planned, in part motivated by the praise that disc has received here from you and others. Look forward to it!

8) Excellent!

JBS

First listen.

Might be best to think of this as two seperate sets: several pleasant pieces from the Sons of Bach and from the Anna Magdalena Notebook in one set, and an intelligently done AoF in the other, prefaced by Brahms's transcription of the great Chaconne in a performance that by itself justifies getting this CD, with the Hess transcription of Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring as a coda.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Two marvelous first symphonies: Villa-Lobos and Rautavaara

The symphony by the Finnish composer has some of his most appealing trademarks. The moment at 4:21 from the II mov. is so lovely, enchanting and visionary-like. Also, there is something Prokofievian in the opening of the III mov. My only quibble is the way it ends. Quite abrupt, like saying: and that's it. A bit disconcerting.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 16, 2021, 03:19:38 PM
Haydn Symphony No. 6 "Le Matin", Fey conducting

Sarge

I guess all hope of Fey's return to the podium is now gone... :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: Traverso on October 16, 2021, 03:43:08 AM
Dear Que,you responded also when I posted this recording for the first time.Still not listened to it?  :)

Susanne Ansorg  has a voice very suitable for this type of music.

It slipped my mind, obviously.... :D

Anyway:

BTW there are quite a few recordings of Dufay songs on offer these days. Time to take my pick.  :)

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2021, 05:48:51 AM
A couple of recordings with the lute player Peter Soederberg. This is lovely -- it's very much Que's sort of thing I think

As is this

Thank you for the pointers.  :)

Que

Continuing the set with disc 2:

Amongst other things a marvelous mass by Thomas Crequillon Missa "Je prens en grets" is on offer.

Review by Stephen Midgley: Surely they can't keep this up .....

vandermolen

Delius: Piano Concerto (Moiseiwitsch/Lambert) Testament CD.
My favourite recording of my favourite Delius work (alongside 'In a Summer Garden')
I originally came across this recording on an old WRC LP:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

I'm having a Handel morning. The BBC disc, taken from two different concerts, is really very good, though there is occasional audience noise, but the Preston/Pinnock is a good deal better than merely good. These are quite possibly the most wonderful performanes of the Coronation Anthems ever recorded. The moment when the choir enter in Zadok the Priest is absolutely thrilling and the orchestral playing is quite exceptional.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Irons

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 15, 2021, 11:49:22 PM
An absolutely wonderful work and this is, I think, its best recording. Quite superb.

Stars aligned, magical.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.8 LSO/Thomson.
I enjoyed listening to this CD so much yesterday that I'm playing it again today:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2021, 01:42:05 AM
That's my favourite recording by far (Previn). I purchased the Japanese reissue mentioned by John (MI) as I wanted the old LP cover which is one of my favourites:

Previn gets the juices flowing in the third movement doesn't he, Jeffrey. Craftily it was used to demonstrate an amplifier which I purchased  and use to this day.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2021, 06:51:17 PM
Selection for violin and piano from Pan Twardowski and the Violin Concerto. This is wonderful music. Pieces with personality and charm, that hook you. The latter is especially gorgeous and lyric, quite a find, I must say, something to wallow in and to be moved by the emotions it conveys and generates. Whereas the 1st movement is mostly slow, poetic, moving, the 2nd one is more dynamic at the beginning, energetic and frolicsome. A delight, and later it gets melancholy and wistful. It's a shame it was left unfinished, but what we have in this splendid two-movement work and recording are something to be grateful.

Sawyers: Cello Concerto

Irons was right. A phenomenal piece, poignant in some parts. I also had in my notes some impressions of the 2nd Symphony. Stirring and even better than the 1st. Thank you for the heads up, Irons!

Delighted you enjoyed it. ;D

aligreto

Lasso: Lagrime di S. Pietro [Picotti]

There are, apparently, many clever mathematical attributions assigned to this work but, although I like it, I do not really care about it because, to me this is, in the first instance, simply glorious and divine music. The music has a wonderful flow to it. The work is very well presented here. It is not over produced and the music was obviously given priority in the production. The vocals are very well delivered and they are also very well balanced. The interweaving of the vocal lines is very fine. The minimal instrumental accompaniment is relatively unobtrusive and very sympathetic to the vocal lines. It also helps to create the requisite atmosphere. The recorded sound is also excellent. Everything on the recording proceeds seamlessly and effortlessly. This one comes with a very high recommendation.

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2021, 02:31:04 PM
Patronize away  ;D I've been listening to Bruckner since late 2019, but still feel that I'm new to his music. There is much I have yet to fully understand. Happy to rate him as one of my favorite composers now.

Good for you.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on October 16, 2021, 02:55:04 PM
I have Fergus,I used to have a Denon DP 67 but I sold It a few years ago.It was still in mint condition but I was worried about the lack of spare parts.Ik have still a turntable in excellent condition,a very simple indistructable Lenco L75 .Everything original with a Ortofon 2M blue.
It does the job very well.The Denon turntable was impressive just by the looks at it.
The Lenco is not a bad player and more than forty years old.
It will outlive me,I'm sure.
I used my phone for this post wich is rather difficult. :)

Nice, Jan. Yes, those old turntables were built like tanks and made to last.  :)

aukhawk

Bartok's SPC vis Spotify:

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings Percussion & Celesta - Malkki / Helsinki PO

A wonderfully lucid recording allows me to hear a few details I was never aware of before (and this is music I listen to quite frequently). 
One or two unusual tempo choices in the Finale.
The Music for Strings Percussion & Celesta has been served very well on record ever since Reiner set the bar rather high in the late '50s - and this is among the very best but doesn't quite displace Kocsis for me..

(I won't be listening to the Concerto for Orchestra as that music holds no interest for me.)