Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1695358 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #51860 on: October 17, 2021, 02:04:08 AM »
Selection for violin and piano from Pan Twardowski and the Violin Concerto. This is wonderful music. Pieces with personality and charm, that hook you. The latter is especially gorgeous and lyric, quite a find, I must say, something to wallow in and to be moved by the emotions it conveys and generates. Whereas the 1st movement is mostly slow, poetic, moving, the 2nd one is more dynamic at the beginning, energetic and frolicsome. A delight, and later it gets melancholy and wistful. It's a shame it was left unfinished, but what we have in this splendid two-movement work and recording are something to be grateful.

Sawyers: Cello Concerto

Irons was right. A phenomenal piece, poignant in some parts. I also had in my notes some impressions of the 2nd Symphony. Stirring and even better than the 1st. Thank you for the heads up, Irons!

Delighted you enjoyed it. ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51861 on: October 17, 2021, 02:30:42 AM »
Lasso: Lagrime di S. Pietro [Picotti]

There are, apparently, many clever mathematical attributions assigned to this work but, although I like it, I do not really care about it because, to me this is, in the first instance, simply glorious and divine music. The music has a wonderful flow to it. The work is very well presented here. It is not over produced and the music was obviously given priority in the production. The vocals are very well delivered and they are also very well balanced. The interweaving of the vocal lines is very fine. The minimal instrumental accompaniment is relatively unobtrusive and very sympathetic to the vocal lines. It also helps to create the requisite atmosphere. The recorded sound is also excellent. Everything on the recording proceeds seamlessly and effortlessly. This one comes with a very high recommendation.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51862 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:44 AM »
Patronize away  ;D I've been listening to Bruckner since late 2019, but still feel that I'm new to his music. There is much I have yet to fully understand. Happy to rate him as one of my favorite composers now.

Good for you.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51863 on: October 17, 2021, 02:34:41 AM »
I have Fergus,I used to have a Denon DP 67 but I sold It a few years ago.It was still in mint condition but I was worried about the lack of spare parts.Ik have still a turntable in excellent condition,a very simple indistructable Lenco L75 .Everything original with a Ortofon 2M blue.
It does the job very well.The Denon turntable was impressive just by the looks at it.
The Lenco is not a bad player and more than forty years old.
It will outlive me,I'm sure.
I used my phone for this post wich is rather difficult. :)

Nice, Jan. Yes, those old turntables were built like tanks and made to last.  :)

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Oh no! Someone catted my avatar!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #51864 on: October 17, 2021, 03:31:02 AM »
Bartok's SPC vis Spotify:

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings Percussion & Celesta - Malkki / Helsinki PO

A wonderfully lucid recording allows me to hear a few details I was never aware of before (and this is music I listen to quite frequently). 
One or two unusual tempo choices in the Finale.
The Music for Strings Percussion & Celesta has been served very well on record ever since Reiner set the bar rather high in the late '50s - and this is among the very best but doesn't quite displace Kocsis for me..

(I won't be listening to the Concerto for Orchestra as that music holds no interest for me.)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51865 on: October 17, 2021, 03:37:42 AM »
Dufay

Missa Se La Face ay Pale

Diabolus in Musica

Antoine Guerber

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #51866 on: October 17, 2021, 03:48:28 AM »
Buxtehude - Wacht! Euch zum Streit Das jüngste Gericht - La Capella Ducale - Musica Fiata / Roland Wilson

(Disc 1)

It is amazing how little I like this. It is Buxtehude, it should be a fine performance and I listened to it on five speakers (SACD 5.0). For Buxtehude the music seems avoid of emotion, ambition and depth. For a modern multichannel recording the sound is weird and thin. The singers are too loud compared to the instruments. The sound doesn't have a 17th century feel to it. It has a 19th century feel. I bought this maybe 5 years ago and it was a massive disappointment. Now I am trying again to see if I just don't get the greatness of this or if it really is that bad.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51867 on: October 17, 2021, 03:49:18 AM »
Beethoven: Overture - Consecration of the House [Schmidt-Isserstedt]

This is a fine piece of music and this is a very good presentation of it. It is measured and stately in its opening phase and subsequently becomes busy. Speaking of busy, it is oftentimes interesting the way listening to a new version to you can reveal some small detail in the score which was not apparent to you before. So it is here with that very busy and wonderful bassoon line. The string writing is wonderful but the music is really enriched by both the woodwind and brass scoring which are all very apparent here. The pacing is also exciting with a fine conclusion to the work; a wonderful version.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51868 on: October 17, 2021, 03:54:59 AM »
Beethoven: Overture - Consecration of the House [Schmidt-Isserstedt]

This is a fine piece of music and this is a very good presentation of it. It is measured and stately in its opening phase and subsequently becomes busy. Speaking of busy, it is oftentimes interesting the way listening to a new version to you can reveal some small detail in the score which was not apparent to you before. So it is here with that very busy and wonderful bassoon line. The string writing is wonderful but the music is really enriched by both the woodwind and brass scoring which are all very apparent here. The pacing is also exciting with a fine conclusion to the work; a wonderful version.

Enjoy your Beethoven Fergus.  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51869 on: October 17, 2021, 03:55:57 AM »
Enjoy your Beethoven Fergus.  :)

Thank you Jan. PM sent  :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #51870 on: October 17, 2021, 04:00:32 AM »

I can never have too much Mozart and I can never have too much of his piano sonatas.

Bazzini's praises were sung by none other than Schumann, not exactly famous for his love of virtuosi and their music. This disc feature a nice violin sonata, classically cut but romantic (small r) in content, and some shorter but not less charming pieces.
"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one-half that you see." - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #51871 on: October 17, 2021, 04:05:33 AM »
Buxtehude - Wacht! Euch zum Streit Das jüngste Gericht - La Capella Ducale - Musica Fiata / Roland Wilson

(Disc 1)

It is amazing how little I like this. It is Buxtehude, it should be a fine performance and I listened to it on five speakers (SACD 5.0). For Buxtehude the music seems avoid of emotion, ambition and depth. For a modern multichannel recording the sound is weird and thin. The singers are too loud compared to the instruments. The sound doesn't have a 17th century feel to it. It has a 19th century feel. I bought this maybe 5 years ago and it was a massive disappointment. Now I am trying again to see if I just don't get the greatness of this or if it really is that bad.  :P

I have had a few less good experiences with other recordings by Musica Fiata / Wilson, so I tend to avoid them.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Undersea

Omnivorous Diet
« Reply #51872 on: October 17, 2021, 04:16:36 AM »
Currently:

Haydn: Syphony #48 in C, H 1/48, "Maria Theresia"
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51873 on: October 17, 2021, 04:40:02 AM »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
« Reply #51874 on: October 17, 2021, 04:47:01 AM »
I have had a few less good experiences with other recordings by Musica Fiata / Wilson, so I tend to avoid them.

Well, based on my experience with this Buxtehude I'll avoid them too in the future.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51875 on: October 17, 2021, 04:47:25 AM »
It slipped my mind, obviously.... :D

Anyway:

BTW there are quite a few recordings of Dufay songs on offer these days. Time to take my pick.  :)

These ones with the secular songs  are of course in your collection  :)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #51876 on: October 17, 2021, 04:59:18 AM »
Bacheler

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #51877 on: October 17, 2021, 05:18:31 AM »
Yes it is played on period instruments.
Thanks!

PD

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #51878 on: October 17, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »

131 & 135.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #51879 on: October 17, 2021, 05:37:43 AM »
I guess all hope of Fey's return to the podium is now gone... :(

I'm afraid so. Johannes Klumpp has taken over.

Sarge
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:45:39 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"