What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 18, 2021, 12:25:15 AM

I started listening at op 27/1. It is very strong stuff. What I'd say is that these nocturnes have the feeling of eloquent and sincere orations - clearly articulated sections which seem to lead the listener through an inevitable argument to their conclusion. This is a concept which in a way is familiar from baroque music, the idea has never crossed my mind in Chopin before - so I guess in a real sense Irena Mejoueva's recording is for me a revelation.

Live, well recorded live. Nice modern piano.

And I want to add (I'm writing this while listening) that her approach seems to get tested in the later music, I'm not sure that op 62/i is successful, for example. She's not the first to find late Chopin difficult of course, and listening to it has made me reflect a little on how Chopin's style evolved - which is good.

Still there's enough of interest in these nocturnes for me to suggest that it's worth the time hearing on Spotify.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 17, 2021, 08:18:49 PM
A solid edifice of a symphony.

+1 I have three recordings of it (Barenboim + Furwangler himself conducting on DGG and Orfeo)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Very fine disc:

Sonata no 3 is particularly interesting.

Part of my Naxos spree before prices went up.

Harry

New arrival.

Anthony Van Noordt
Complete Organ Music. CD !.
Psalms 116,2,22,38,24.
Fantasia in D minor & twice in E minor.

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.
Erbarm dich mein O, Herre Gott, 6 Variations.

Manuel Tomadin, plays on a Stellwagen Organ 1636/37, Jacobikirche of Lübeck, Germany.
Pitch: a=471Hz. Temperament: Werckmeister I.

This beautiful organ has a original amount of Gothic and Renaissance pipes on board, which makes the sound authentic to my ears. There were some add ons over the years, which did not too much damage to the sound. The recording is quite good, but I am heard better recordings of this organ. As to the performance I have the following impression. Fairly academic, at times he opts for more openness, but is strict in his tempi. I found the Sweelinck piece a bit lethargic and to slow in all variations.
The second disc I could not play, for it had a big crack in it, and has to be replaced.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

The Pacifica Quartet playing the Shostakovich c minor quartet, Op. 110
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Azerbaijani Symphonic Mughams. Adigezalov/Liepaja SO.

Mandryka

This one is worth having. Intimate reading obvs. Listening to it I thought to myself that this mass could quite possibly be a sort of high point of something - I mean, when it's sung like Cappella Pratensis do it, it's a bit special, if you're in the mood.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kyjo

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 17, 2021, 03:36:34 PM
Peter Maxwell Davies
Naxos Quartet #1
Maggini Quartet
Naxos

More PMD to close out Sunday. I very much like the sparse nature of his writing in this quartet. After the swells and turbulence of the first couple of symphonies, this is less taxing on my concentration, but no less interesting.

I'm glad you're getting more out of this music than I have!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Harry

Pyotr ll'yich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No 2 in C minor, opus 17. "Little Russian". (1879 version)
Overture in F major, (1866 version)
Festive overture on the Danish National Anthem in D major, opus 15. (1892 version)
The Storm (Groza) Overture opus 76. (1864.

Gothenburg SO, Neeme Järvi.

For me this is a marvelous interpretation, and since I can not have them from Mariinsky Orchestra, with Valery Gergiev, well only No. 4 that is, Jarvi is my favourite in all the symphonies.
The SACD sound is a huge improvement in sound compared to the normal CD layer. The Overture in F major is a real gem, as is Groza, with its beautiful melodies. And the Festive overture has its qualities too.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 17, 2021, 11:25:20 PM
Yes, I think that Turnabout didn't finish the Vox Box project set of the Faure complete chamber music though, in the old LP days - only some of the music in a single 3LP box. The sound is quite good, also on CD.

Yes, the big omission is the violin sonatas. Configuration on LP is as follows -

Volume 1: Piano Quartet Op. 15 and Piano Quartet Op. 45.

Volume 2: Piano Quintet Op. 89 and Piano Quintet Op. 115.

Volume 3: Trio Op. 120 and String Quartet Op. 121 (Loewenguth Quartet). 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Scriabin - symphony No.2

[/quote]
Olivier

Spotted Horses

Found time for the second string quartet of Janacek.

A striking work with unique form. Doesn't grip me as dramatically as Janacek's first quartet.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 18, 2021, 07:22:52 AM
Found time for the second string quartet of Janacek.

A striking work with unique form. Doesn't grip me as dramatically as Janacek's first quartet.

Both SQs from Janáček are masterpieces of the genre. 'Nuff said. 8)

Mirror Image

NP:

Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 6 In B Minor, Op. 74, "Pathétique"
Berliners
HvK

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Violin Sonatas, V. 1 & 2 w/ Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien - new arrivals; the two recorded all of Wolfie's Violin Sonatas between 2014-2016 on 5 double-disc Hyperion offerings - I wanted a 'modern' set of these works (own two PI versions) and the reviews attached convinced me, plus all were available at BRO for $8.98 USD each, so a $45 investment, would have like still cheaper and less storage need but these are beautifully performed and looking forward to the remaining volumes.  Dave :)

Harry

Dmitri Shostakovich.

Symphonies (Complete)

CD 1.

Symphony No 1 in F minor, opus 10
(Dedicated to Mikhail Vladimirovich Kvadri.

Symphony No 3 in E flat major, opus 20. "The First of May".

Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, Dmitrij Kitajenko.

If these first two Symphonies are anything to go by, the set will do just fine for me. Kitajenko takes an unhurried stance, and gives the music plenty of time to unfold. You get more detail, and have the leisure to approach and enjoy the music, more as with a high octane interpretation. Normally I like brisk tempo's, but in this case I rather go for a tad slower. I omitted the last movement of No 3, for I abhor this kind of quasi heroic singing. The basis for this ideology is a dead duck.

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday:

Dedicated to Chaplin, who attended the première, played by the composer

https://www.youtube.com/v/S6mJBmFzeGg
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
Maiden-Listen Monday:

Dedicated to Chaplin, who attended the première, played by the composer

https://www.youtube.com/v/S6mJBmFzeGg

Interesting! I don't have any of his piano concertos, but his music seems to be quite entertaining and well-crafted.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 18, 2021, 08:24:31 AM
Interesting! I don't have any of his piano concertos, but his music seems to be quite entertaining and well-crafted.

But rather unmemorable --- at least, for me, this is the case.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2021, 08:30:42 AM
But rather unmemorable --- at least, for me, this is the case.

Well, some of the other orchestral works are quite good, IMO.