What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, akebergv, Fishl (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 18, 2021, 01:56:05 PM
You sound happy rather than annoyed!  ;D

Yeah, I am rather happy, indeed. Sometimes we second guess ourselves and say "Man, I didn't really need to buy these recordings" only to come to the realization that 'yes, yes you did need those recordings' after all. ;D

Now playing all the way through for the second-time, this new acquisition:

An absolute feast for the ears!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 18, 2021, 09:18:46 AM
His Prokofiev Symphony cycle, and Prokofiev Piano Concerto Cycle (Teldec) are phenomenal, IMO.

His Prokofiev PC cycle (also with Krainev) on Melodiya is top-notch.

VonStupp

Samuel Barber
Choral Music

Joyful Company of Singers - Peter Broadbent

Compared to Conspirare's Barber choral set I heard last week, JCoS is not as seamlessly balanced or blended an ensemble, and their constitution isn't as iron-lunged. Too bad, because otherwise I have enjoyed many of this ensemble's performances elsewhere. Their collaborations with Richard Hickox are very good.

Of course, Barber's choral music is always a pleasure to spend time with regardless! VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday:

Consistently good and frequently great

Tansman
Symphonie de chambre (1960)
Sinfonietta № 1 (1924)
Sinfonietta № 2 (1978)
Sinfonia piccola (1951-52)
Orchestra della Svizzera italiana
Caetani
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Klavier

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 17, 2021, 08:18:49 PM
A solid edifice of a symphony.

Have you heard the 1st? It's pretty good.

foxandpeng

Philip Sawyers
Symphony #4
Kenneth Woods
BBC National Orchestra of Wales

Sawyers is rapidly becoming a firm favourite.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 03:13:19 PM
Maiden-Listen Monday:

Consistently good and frequently great

Tansman
Symphonie de chambre (1960)
Sinfonietta № 1 (1924)
Sinfonietta № 2 (1978)
Sinfonia piccola (1951-52)
Orchestra della Svizzera italiana
Caetani

Program and picture don't match.

I've found the Sinfoniettas, chamber symphony and Sinfonia piccolo to be more engaging than the proper symphonies. The concertos, including those for piano and clarinet are also wonderful works.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

André

Disc 10, Hindemith.
Program: Neues vom Tage, overture; 3 Songs for soprano and orchestra; Philharmonisches konzert; Das Nusch-Nuschi, dance suite op 20.

Madiel

Quote from: "Harry" on October 18, 2021, 09:11:07 AM
Your right, but some posters on GMG think that they are the measure of all things. And make it a point to denigrate posters that are not of his opinion.  He only has praise for his own choices, all others is rubbish.
That says enough about his opinion me thinks.

Oh for heaven's sake. Step away from the mirror. If anyone around here flares up as soon as there's a contrary opinion, it's you.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Haydn piano trios.

Depending on your counting system: Hoboken 6-8, or trios 19-21. Or even "op.43".

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 01:48:11 PM
I think it must have. I don't think immediately think of a recording to demonstrate so, but I hardly think it can have been otherwise.
I agree.
Maybe his recording of Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony shows some jazzy influences?

Early morning listening:
Bax: Piano Quintet - one of his greatest works I think and a great GMG discovery for me. Rather like Bloch's SQ No.1 it has an epic/symphonic quality to it:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

"Il Orchestre de Louis XIII"

Recueil de Plusieurs airs par Philidor L'Aisne.

Les Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall.

For me this is a real highlight. Savall and his band fulfill all expectations and more. A outstanding release and performance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

The Royal Lewters

Paul O'Dette lute

Pastyme with good company, My Lady Careys Dompe and many other beautiful pieces

listener

M-A. CHARPENTIER: Te Deum   Missa "Assumpta est Maria"    Litanies de la Vierge
Les Arts Florissants       Wm Christie  cond.
Hadn't heard this for a long time, it is still fresh on a revisit.
MENDELSSOHN: String Symphonies 10 - 13
Northern Chamber O.    Nicholas Ward, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Irons

Stanley Bate: 4th Symphony.

Stanley gives the impression he is never happier then when musically flexing his muscles. A turbulent ride with noble interludes, the orchestration never becomes thick and congested. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

I've been meaning to listen to this performance of a complete mass cycle by Nicolas Champion for a couple of weeks, after being so impressed by Andrew Kirkman's performance of a De Profundis which he thinks may be Champion, but may well be Josquin or someone else! But the Schmelzer interpretation was intolerable for me, I couldn't get past 5 minutes.

However this morning, on the big electrostatics, sub and Krell system, blasting seriously loud, it sound wonderful! It must be a psychological side effect of the boiled egg I had for breakers.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 12:28:35 AM
Stanley Bate: 4th Symphony.

Stanley gives the impression he is never happier then when musically flexing his muscles. A turbulent ride with noble interludes, the orchestration never becomes thick and congested.
One of my favourite Dutton recordings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: "Harry" on October 19, 2021, 12:02:04 AM
"Il Orchestre de Louis XIII"

Recueil de Plusieurs airs par Philidor L'Aisne.

Les Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall.

For me this is a real highlight. Savall and his band fulfill all expectations and more. A outstanding release and performance.
One of Savalls best and a disc that turned me on to Lully for the first time.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Harry

Julius Rontgen.

Symphonies.
No. 7 in F minor, "Edinburgh".
No. 14 in D major, "Winterthur".
No. 12 in C major, "Babylone".

Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester Frankfurt, David Porcelijn.

A welcome addition to the already existing recordings of his Symphonies by CPO.  Beats me why these recordings were released in 2021, while they were recorded in 2006 & 2007. They are decently recorded and are perfectly performed.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."