What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Anton Bruckner.

Symphony No. 6 in A major. (1881)

Berner SO, Mario Venzago.

Absolute bliss, marvelous interpretation.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Tsaraslondon

Christie's Messiah has a lot going for it, not least Mark Padmore's singing of the tenor part, but somehow today I found myself hankering after my old Mackerras LP set, which was still on modern instruments but was one of the first to make a real stab at historical accuracy.  Unfortunately it's not very easy to come by these days.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Harry

Richard Wagner.

Meistersinger, an Orchestral Tribute, Symphonic compilation. Arranged 2005 by Henk de Vlieger, dedicated to Edo de Waart.
Eine Faust Ouvertüre.
Deux Entreactes Tragiques, Performing version 1996, after compositional sketches from 1832.
Overture to "Columbus", edited by Felix Mottl, as a concert overture.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

For me the best way to stomach music by Wagner, no vocals, just orchestra. Fine performance and ditto sound.

mahler10th

Bax Symphony 2 from this:

It was dedicated to Serge Koussevitzky.  Thematically impressive with big sound from Handley.

Mandryka

Eberhard Kummer is one of those great characterful singers of early music, like Rene Zosso in a way. I knew him before from a Wolkenstein recording, this is the first time I've heard this CD which is themed around Hans Sachs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Fikret Amirov: Azerbaijan Capriccio. Antonio de Almeida/Moscow SO.

Harry

Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky.

The Nutcracker.

Bergen PO, Neeme Jarvi.
SACD

One of the best Concert performances I know, along with the Gergiev performance on the Marinsky label also SACD. Two of the very greats.

Brahmsian

Quote from: "Harry" on October 19, 2021, 06:24:43 AM
Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky.

The Nutcracker.

Bergen PO, Neeme Jarvi.
SACD

One of the best Concert performances I know, along with the Gergiev performance on the Marinsky label also SACD. Two of the very greats.

Harry, when you speak of the Gergiev Nutcracker, are you talking about this one?  This is the one I have, love and adore.  In spite of the fact that so many people loathe it.  It makes me love it and appreciate it even more!

Harry

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 06:29:37 AM
Harry, when you speak of the Gergiev Nutcracker, are you talking about this one?  This is the one I have, love and adore.  In spite of the fact that so many people loathe it.  It makes me love it and appreciate it even more!

That's the Philips recording, so yes this is another recording as the one I quoted, but....I have this older Philips recording too, and as you I love it to bits. Beautiful recorded too.
Below the one I spoke about.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 06:29:37 AM

Gergiev recorded it twice, Ray. Here's the other recording:

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 06:36:02 AM
Gergiev recorded it twice, Ray. Here's the other recording:

Nice!  Thanks to you both, Harry and John.  :)

Mirror Image

NP:

Milhaud
Violin Concerto No. 2, Op. 263
Arabella Steinbacher, violin
Münchner Rundfunkorchester
Pinchas Steinberg

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 18, 2021, 04:48:06 PM
Program and picture don't match.

I've found the Sinfoniettas, chamber symphony and Sinfonia piccolo to be more engaging than the proper symphonies. The concertos, including those for piano and clarinet are also wonderful works.

Fixed the pic, thanks. I'll look for th cl cto!

TD:

Bruckner
Sym № 8 in c minor
State Symphony Capella of Russia
Rozhdestvensky
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 01:48:11 PM
I think it must have. I don't think immediately think of a recording to demonstrate so, but I hardly think it can have been otherwise.

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2021, 10:43:48 PM
I agree.
Maybe his recording of Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony shows some jazzy influences?

I will check the recording!

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA (1756-1791) - Violin Sonatas, V.3-5 w/ Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien - now on volume 3 and likely will finish up tomorrow - listened to the first two releases yesterday and left a review attachment, if interested.  Wolfie composed about 3 dozen Violin Sonatas which are split into the 'Childhood Works', 1762-66 (16): KV 6-9 (1762-64), KV 10-15 (1764), and KV 26-31 (1766); and the 'Mature Works', 1778-88 (20, a handful incomplete): KV from 296 to 547 (not inclusive of course; see specific Köchel numbers HERE)  Dave :)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2021, 06:53:19 AM
Fixed the pic, thanks. I'll look for th cl cto!

These are the recordings I am thinking of:

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2021, 05:50:43 AM
[Bernstein, Symphony No.2, 'Age of Anxiety', Entremont/Bernstein] A fantastic work! I love this performance, too. Have you heard the Zimerman/Rattle performance on DG? It's a must-hear!

From 'must-hear' to have-heard! And thanks, an excellent recommendation. Both Zimerman and Rattle are natural highlighters of detail which works really well here. Some things I preferred in the Bernstein/Entremont and others in the Zimerman Rattle, but both really enjoyable recordings.