What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I really couldn't decide what I wanted to listen to, and ultimately went with first principles.

EDIT: It takes less than one movement for me to remember why this was my first choice version when I bought it a couple of years back. Along with the very different Queyras.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

The problem with playing the Cello Suites these days is that it usually sends me into a general Bach Suites mania.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ritter

Quote from: Madiel on October 20, 2021, 02:12:49 AM
The problem with playing the Cello Suites these days is that it usually sends me into a general Bach Suites mania.

Yes, I understand that feeling. :) I for one sometimes avoid Stravinksy's Les noces, because I know that if I listen to it once, I'm hooked and must listen to it many times.... ::)  ;D

Madiel

Quote from: ritter on October 20, 2021, 02:17:50 AM
Yes, I understand that feeling. :) I for one sometimes avoid Stravinksy's Les noces, because I know that if I listen to it once, I'm hooked and must listen to it many times.... ::)  ;D

It could also affect my wallet. I don't own the Perahia, I'm streaming it. I own Andras Schiff's recordings of Bach's keyboard works and have a sneaking suspicion that I want a different one (and this could be it).

Traverso

Desprez

Miserere Deus

Palestrina

Tribularer,si nescirem

Claude Le Jeune

Tristitia obsedit me

Lassus

Infelix ego

CD 1

Cato

Quote from: André on October 19, 2021, 04:32:46 PM

Disc 1, music of Bernd Aloysius Zimmermann. Program: Alagoana (ballet); Phototopsis, Prelude for large orchestra; Symphony in One Movement; Stille und Umkehr, sketches for orchestra.

Quite a program. Very impressive. I love his opera Die Soldaten, and this is on the same level of daring and invention.

I used his motet Omnia Tempus Habent in my 8th Grade Latin classes (the Latin text had a grammar item which was under scrutiny) and the students' reactions - once they became accustomed to the vocal style after a few minutes - ranged from consterflabberlated to amazement to enthusiasm.  A small group over the years downloaded it for later listening, they claimed: once a former student -then in high school - contacted me and wanted to know the name of it again, so she could listen to it with another former student, who had also forgotten the name...but remembered the music!   8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/6y5kUbVufAs

One of my great regrets about retirement is my lack of contact now with the younger generations and inability to introduce them to such things.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

premont

Quote from: Madiel on October 20, 2021, 02:12:49 AM

For me this is a rather chronic state.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Hindemith: Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra. Rosales/Central Aichi SO.

kyjo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
Maiden-Listen Monday:

Dedicated to Chaplin, who attended the première, played by the composer

https://www.youtube.com/v/S6mJBmFzeGg

Count me in as a fan of Tansman's music! I've rarely been disappointed by his works. His delightfully cosmopolitan, "neoclassical tinged with jazz" style is quite appealing to me. His later music became darker and more dissonant, and is quite interesting.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on October 19, 2021, 04:32:46 PM

Disc 1, music of Bernd Aloysius Zimmermann. Program: Alagoana (ballet); Phototopsis, Prelude for large orchestra; Symphony in One Movement; Stille und Umkehr, sketches for orchestra.

Quite a program. Very impressive. I love his opera Die Soldaten, and this is on the same level of daring and invention.

JPC had the box on offer recently and I bought it, because some items were missing in my collection. It's a very mixed bag IMO, but the Zimmermann CD is good indeed. I still don't have his 'Roi Ubu', but will probably get it some day.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2021, 08:58:28 AM
Arthur Bliss: 'The Lady of Shalott' (first listen to the new recording):

What did you think, Jeffrey?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Traverso

Dufay

Missa de S ANTHONII de PADUA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on October 19, 2021, 10:13:12 PM
Are you personally finding the series satisfying? I've had my eye on it as a potential option for the repertoire. I have the same performers' Ravel album and enjoy it. RE: Mozart, WA (1756-1791) - Violin Sonatas, V.3-5 w/ Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien

Hi Madiel - attached are some reviews I left a few days ago.  What I like best about these performances is how the violin/piano blend together beautifully, each having an equal share; Ibragimova plays with little or no vibrato (unlike Mutter w/ Orkis) and both bring Wolfie's juvenilia to a higher level; the Hyperion modern sound is excellent (not true of some of the more 'historic' recordings that receive strong recommendations); the double-discs are packed in single size jewel boxes - my only complaint is that 4 instead of 5 sets could have been released, saving me storage, but a very minor issue - also, the works are not chronologic, so a mixture of youthful and mature sonatas.  Now, I really like my Podger/Cooper PI discs of the complete works (on 8 discs in a small box) - cannot give a preference at the moment not having done any A-B comparisons?  Dave :)

P.S. finally, all five sets are still available at BRO HERE - for those in the USA, shipping is cheap (just over $6 USD to me in North Carolina) - overseas shipping would likely be acceptable w/ a LARGE order, I would suspect?

SonicMan46

Beethoven, LV - Missa Solemnis w/ Philippe Herreweghe and others (his second performance from 2011) - stimulated by a post (by Daverz, I believe) in another thread which included a Hurwitz video review of nearly 20 recordings - I own just 2 CDs, one the older Otto Klemperer recording which was one of his top ratings and the other a PI performance w/ Herreweghe (his newer one) - several PI discs were discussed by Hurwitz, but not this one - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 04:48:59 PM
I've loved HvK's Sibelius on DG on first-listen. You may want to consider this set:

I'm aware of that set! After listening to Karajan's Sibelius and finding it good (the 6th) to outstanding (the 7th, Tapiola) I **am** considering it.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 19, 2021, 06:09:36 PM
That recording is my favorite recording of Tapiola, and one of my favorite recordings by Karajan.

It is really excellent. About the only thing that underwhelmed me was Finlandia - but even so it was really well played.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

John Copeland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 19, 2021, 02:12:53 PM
Thalaba the Destroyer
I recall being quite thrilled by this work on previous occasions, but today I didn't find it as engaging as other times. I did enjoy the lyrical parts much better.
It's rather clear the influence of Tchaikovsky.

Bantok is one of the most creative and brilliant composers England has ever produced, I wish he was more touted.  He's one of those composers whose every note I hear fills me with gratitude for beautiful music.   :)

The new erato

An absolutely enchanting disc in all ways possible;

An arrival from yesterday.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

A "light" album, but nicely done.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen