What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Daverz on October 20, 2021, 03:54:16 PM
Martin: Petite Symphonie Concertante

Very good performance. 

Bloch: Concerto Grosso No. 1

Over 60 years old and still a great recording.  Marriner also recorded the Bloch, but I don't think I've ever encountered it on CD.

I have both recordings marginally preferring Hanson. The upfront Mercury recording suits the music.

Surprising if Marriner hasn't made it to CD. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Stanley Bate: 3rd Symphony.

Very special indeed. A surprise at every turn including a cossack dance in the finale!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Harry

Quote from: Irons on October 21, 2021, 01:22:22 AM
Stanley Bate: 3rd Symphony.

Very special indeed. A surprise at every turn including a cossack dance in the finale!

Yes I quite like this CD too, which I bought on release, in theory I should play it again..........
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Pjotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No 3, in D major, "Polish", opus 29.
From the opera "The Voyevoda", Entr'acte and Dances of the Chambermaids.
Dmitri the Pretender and Vassily Shuisky, Incidental music: Introduction to Act 1, Mazurka.
Serenade for Nikolai Rubemstein's Name Day.
From Eugene Onegin, opus 24, Entre'acte and Waltz. Polonaise.

Gothenburg SO, Neeme Jarvi.
SACD.

Still my favourite set of Symphonies.

listener

On Georgia Public Radio
Jerome MOROSS: Symphony no.2          Buffalo Phil.,  JoAnn Falletta
TCHAIKOWSKY: Symphony no.2 "Little Russian"
ROTA: "The Leopard" Symphony
And some Philip Glass and a piece for voices and serpent
by a composer from Moose Jaw Sask. This sounds like a site for a return visit.

On discs music by two composers whose names are palindromes - just a coincidence!
Max REGER:  Piano Music  vol.5      Markus Becker, piano
Andrés ISASI; Symphony no.2, Suite no.2
Bilbao S.O.,  Juan José Mena, cond.
A curious disc:  The Symphony sounds like it is making a lot of use of a popular German song, "You can't Mend a Broken Heart" in its English version.   That may explain JPC's
curious exclusive release , maybe hoping for a cross-over hit in Germany.   The work sounds  like a Korngold imitation, nice orchestration but by-the-rules construction.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Harry

Dmitri Shostakovich.

Complete Symphonies.

CD III, Symphony No 4 in C minor.

Gürzenich Orchestra Koln, Dmitrij Kitajenko.
SACD.

Every bit as good as the previous CD"s . To me this begins to be very special. The detail Kitajenko gets out of the music is quite devastating and a wonderful experience.

Traverso

Shostakovich

Great ,what else to say.

Symphony No.1
Berliner Philharmoniker

Symphony No. 15
London Philharmonic

Mariss Janson

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on October 21, 2021, 12:21:49 AM
Much better on the big system - I have noticed this before - even 8 voices singing benefits from the sort of hifi that an organ or symphony demands. And the quality of the hifi really matters for my appreciation of the recording - because music is sound.

Absolutely. It sounds wonderful, amazing!
Most stuff sounds better on a big system, perhaps except small scale acoustic music that can sound amazing on an expensive small system. I often end up transfixed just by the sounds of my Sonus Elipsa speakers when I crank them up in the living room.

Anyhow, now playing (on my smaller Vienna Beethovens in my mancave):

Stunningly beautiful music from an amazingly assured voice considering her age. Also quite original considering its period.

Harry

Richard Wagner.

Orchestral Works.

Symphony in C major & E major.
Huldigungsmarsch in E flat major.
Overture to Rienzi, der letzte der Tribunen.
Kaisermarsch in B flat major.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi.

kyjo

Quote from: The new erato on October 21, 2021, 04:57:25 AM
Anyhow, now playing (on my smaller Vienna Beethovens in my mancave):

Stunningly beautiful music from an amazingly assured voice considering her age. Also quite original considering its period.

I was hugely impressed by the Military Sinfonietta and Prelude de Noël - the two latest works on the disc. I found the rest of the music on the disc to be less distinctive and engaging, though. A tragic early death, for sure.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 21, 2021, 06:20:48 AM
I was hugely impressed by the Military Sinfonietta and Prelude de Noël - the two latest works on the disc. I found the rest of the music on the disc to be less distinctive and engaging, though. A tragic early death, for sure.

Agreed. In the Military Sinfonietta, Martinů was brought to mind several times. Not that this is a bad thing of course. :)

Mandryka

Back to this, in particular the sequence of seven tientos at the end of the recording - played rather loudly while I'm alone in the house.

Glen Wilson, by the way, translates suavidad y extrañeza - which was a contemporary comment about the composer's performance style at the organ - as delicate fluency and otherworldliness. I'm not sure about delicate . . .
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on October 21, 2021, 01:16:44 AM
I have both recordings marginally preferring Hanson. The upfront Mercury recording suits the music.

Surprising if Marriner hasn't made it to CD.

Another excellent recording is Jenny Lin.

The other pieces on the disc, concerto symphonique and scherzo fantastique, are stunning virtuoso displays, if I recall correctly.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Marais, Marin (1656-1728) - Third Book Viol Pieces w/ Francois Joubert-Caillet and L'Achéron - we're on a short trip to the North Carolina mountains to see the leaves change colors - listening on my small portable BT speaker from my Spotify playlist - J-Caillet has now released 4 volumes of these works and assume there will be a fifth, so a total of about 20 discs!  Each of these are selling for $30+ on AmazonUSA - unlikely to be a purchase for me; already own about a dozen CDs of Marais' music, will check which ones when I return home - doubt that these will be boxed up anytime soon at a decent price?  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Aram Khachaturian: Spartacus. Jurowski/Deutsches SO Berlin.

Mirror Image

One more before heading off to work:

Kodály
Peacock Variations
Hungarian State Orchestra
Dorati

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: listener on October 21, 2021, 04:04:28 AM
On Georgia Public Radio
Jerome MOROSS: Symphony no.2          Buffalo Phil.,  JoAnn Falletta
TCHAIKOWSKY: Symphony no.2 "Little Russian"
ROTA: "The Leopard" Symphony
And some Philip Glass and a piece for voices and serpent
by a composer from Moose Jaw Sask. This sounds like a site for a return visit.

On discs music by two composers whose names are palindromes - just a coincidence!
Max REGER:  Piano Music  vol.5      Markus Becker, piano
Andrés ISASI; Symphony no.2, Suite no.2
Bilbao S.O.,  Juan José Mena, cond.
A curious disc:  The Symphony sounds like it is making a lot of use of a popular German song, "You can't Mend a Broken Heart" in its English version.   That may explain JPC's
curious exclusive release , maybe hoping for a cross-over hit in Germany.   The work sounds  like a Korngold imitation, nice orchestration but by-the-rules construction.

I like the Reger and Isasi recordings!

Spotted Horses

Janacek String Quartet No 2, New Zealand Quartet

I better absorbed this work on a second listening. It has an unusual form. It is not based on traditional thematic development. Musical themes appear, then reappear in different contexts, combining or juxtabposing with other themes in a seemingly haphazard, but hypnotic way. As in the first quartet, wonderfully rich sonorities from the limited resources of the string quartet.

If I remember correctly, I have listened to these works before in the Emerson Quartet and Gabrielli quartet recordings. Should I be listening to an ensemble that is more authentically "Czech?" I also find I have the Panocha Quartet recording in my collection.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington