What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, Mandryka, Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Traverso on October 21, 2021, 04:05:03 PM
Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired. He died peacefully.

A tremendously versatile conductor whom I enjoyed listening to in a variety of music. I particularly enjoyed his Ravel orchestral works, his Strauss tone poems, and his Shostakovich Symphony no. 8, to name but a few. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

Thread duty:

Martinu
Field Mass
Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani
Czech Philharmonic
Sir Charles Mackerras

Powerful and intense works!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 21, 2021, 04:19:45 PM
Damn... I'm so sorry to hear that. I was just writing the other day about how he's probably the greatest living conductor, though he retired a couple of years back. Rest in peace to the maestro. Shall have to spin one of his recordings soon. After this, perhaps:

Malcolm Arnold: Concerto for Two Pianos, Three Hands, op.104. Phyllis Sellick, Cyril Smith, Malcolm Arnold, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

He will always be remembered for the many matinees on Christmas Day. Unforgettable concerts of most of the Mahler symphonies.

André

Schumann symphonies 1 and 2 from the Haitink Symphony Edition

Haitink was not often mentioned in relation to this composer, but his interpretations are fresh, vital, with a welcome breadth of utterance.

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Lieder aus Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Jessye Norman, John Shirley-Quirk, Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

In memoriam. Haitink had a feeling for Mahler that few could match.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on October 21, 2021, 02:27:17 PM
Yes,I enjoyed it very much.In de last part I heard reminicenties that made me think of Wagner.I listened afterwards to the Askenazy recording of that adagio and there  it was not so  prominent  .

Shostakovich certainly quotes Wagner in there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Joining several others in marking the centennial of Malcolm Arnold's birth:

Arnold
Symphony no. 5
London Symphony Orchestra
Richard Hickox

Arnold's sense of humor is evident here as in many of his works - but this is ultimately a tragic piece. The slow movement is strikingly gorgeous and instantly memorable, and of course it returns to cap off the finale - only it's cut short by a sudden turn to a minor key, and the symphony quickly collapses into darkness. Quite the piece.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 21, 2021, 05:46:44 PM
Joining several others in marking the centennial of Malcolm Arnold's birth:

Arnold
Symphony no. 5
London Symphony Orchestra
Richard Hickox

Arnold's sense of humor is evident here as in many of his works - but this is ultimately a tragic piece. The slow movement is strikingly gorgeous and instantly memorable, and of course it returns to cap off the finale - only it's cut short by a sudden turn to a minor key, and the symphony quickly collapses into darkness. Quite the piece.

Yes, Arnold had a distorted sense of reality and mental problems that stamped on many of his works. The Symphony No. 7 is especially disturbing, but quite witty and without losing his "sense of humor". One of my favorite English composers, in a top 25.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Mandryka

Very nice piano, totally clear in all registers and a strong bass, this man can play counterpoint, he can arrange the voices in an interesting way. The longest 960/i I can remember hearing, I don't know if he talks about the choice in the booklet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 21, 2021, 05:22:55 PM

Gustav Mahler: Lieder aus Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Jessye Norman, John Shirley-Quirk, Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

I'll go on the record in say that Haitink's recording of Das Lied von der Erde is a desert island recording for me. There's nothing like it and as much as I love say the Klemperer, there's a magic in the Haitink that I can't even put into words. Incredible performance.

Mirror Image

NP:

Brahms
Clarinet Sonata in E-flat major, Op. 102 No. 2
Martin Fröst, Roland Pöntinen

vandermolen

Early morning listening:
Vaughan Williams 'In the Fen County':
LPO, Bernard Haitink
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Ostinato.

Hesperion XXI, Jordi Savall.

Marvelous.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Henry Cotter Nixon.

Orchestral Works, Volume II.

Ian Hobson, piano.
Kodaly PO, Paul Mann.

To me this music is a constant joy.

Madiel

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 21, 2021, 05:22:55 PM

Certainly an excellent in memoriam choice for all sorts of reasons.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

Jolene by Hildegard from Bingen/Blingen:

https://youtu.be/ugqQlB5fpuc

Harry

Traverso

Mahler

I know that as far as Mahler is concerned, Haitink liked the songs of "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" the most. Fortunately, we have a nice recording here that shows the orchestra and the acoustics of the hall in all their glory.
It seems appropriate, therefore, to listen to these songs that I also love very much.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 21, 2021, 07:24:06 PM

Very nice piano, totally clear in all registers and a strong bass, this man can play counterpoint, he can arrange the voices in an interesting way. The longest 960/i I can remember hearing, I don't know if he talks about the choice in the booklet.

Staying with this - it stands to the Schubert warhorse sonatas as something like Harnoncourt's Four Seasons stands to warhorse Vivaldi. It really is radically rethought through.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46