What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on October 22, 2021, 02:12:34 AM
Jolene by Hildegard from Bingen/Blingen:

https://youtu.be/ugqQlB5fpuc

*Hildegard von Blingin' is very talented--lovely voice!  I ran across this song which was written for Game of Thrones:  Jenny of Oldstones..gorgeous and haunting me thinks.  :)

*I did also appreciate her Medieval adaptation of Dolly's original version (lyrics too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-FjAISGyWQ

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Most of this Sibelius album.

The final piano quartet (for 2 violins, cello and piano) is particularly interesting as it originally had an opus number, written the year before Kullervo and the original version of En saga. Definitely has the flavour of other works from the early maturity - I found myself weirdly thinking of the Lemminkainen Suite.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Iota

Really sorry to hear of Haitink's passing, whose humility and music-making I've appreciated for over forty years since I bought my first Mahler Symphony LP's on Philips with him.

Quote from: Traverso on October 22, 2021, 03:18:15 AM
Mahler

I know that as far as Mahler is concerned, Haitink liked the songs of "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" the most. Fortunately, we have a nice recording here that shows the orchestra and the acoustics of the hall in all their glory.
It seems appropriate, therefore, to listen to these songs that I also love very much.

That's interesting to hear, will try and join you in that recording later. RIP Maestro Haitink

mahler10th

It is awful to hear that Haitink has died.  After I finish this, I'll play his Strauss Alpine Symphony.  Really sad.  What a fine legacy he has left.
Meanwhile, I just read here that he had passed over, and I was listening to this:

Lyra Angelica amazing on this recording.
Haitink next...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Stravinsky: Petrushka. Haitink/London PO.

Papy Oli

Bach - Cantatas BWV 5 & BWV 56 (Gardiner SDG , Vol.10)

Olivier

Traverso

Shostakovich

Symphony No.2 "oktober"
Chor und Sympphonieorchester des Bayerichen Rundfunks

Symphony No.12 "The Year 1917"
Sympphonieorchester des Bayerichen Rundfunks

Yesterday I really enjoyed the first CD from this set, especially Symphony No.15 with its references to Wagner was very special. I had also listened to the adagio in the performance with Ashkenazy but there the references to Wagner were less noticeable.
So a very good start for this set.

Mirror Image

NP:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 3 in D minor, WAB 103
Bavarian RSO
Jochum

vandermolen

Quote from: John Copeland on October 22, 2021, 05:42:37 AM
It is awful to hear that Haitink has died.  After I finish this, I'll play his Strauss Alpine Symphony.  Really sad.  What a fine legacy he has left.
Meanwhile, I just read here that he had passed over, and I was listening to this:

Lyra Angelica amazing on this recording.
Haitink next...
That's one of the great Alwyn discs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 21, 2021, 03:18:09 PM
Certainly, Jeffrey. Both recordings are splendid.
I think that I have you (and Kyle) to thank for alerting me to the quality of the PQ Cesar.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

listener

A French connection today - Friday - VIERNE's Day with his Messe basse nop. 36
and WIDOR: Organ Symphony 9 "Gothique" op. 70
Marie Andrée Morisset-Balier at the Cavaillé-Coll organ at Rouen
and "Parisian Ballets"
Henri SAUGET: Les forains, La Nuit, and La cigale et la fourmi
Joseph Guy ROPARTZ: Sérénade    LALO: Deux Aubades   MILHAUD: Trois Rag-Caprices
CBC Vancouver O.,   Daniel Swift, cond.

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 21, 2021, 06:02:49 PM
Yes, Arnold had a distorted sense of reality and mental problems that stamped on many of his works. The Symphony No. 7 is especially disturbing, but quite witty and without losing his "sense of humor". One of my favorite English composers, in a top 25.

I'll have to listen to his Seventh again - it's been a while. I was reading up on Arnold's personal life, and it really says something that his music is as witty and humorous as it is, even if the tragedy and bleakness show through from time to time.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Traverso

Traverso

Vaughan Williams

Symphony No. 2 'A London Symphony'
Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

André

The 4th. I might listen to the 5th later on. Haitink's WP performances (of whatever) are characterized by spaciousness and a rather soft-grained orchestral sound. While sonically beautiful, I must say I find these performances slightly undercharacterized.

classicalgeek

Richard Strauss
Don Juan
Ein Heldenleben
Till Eulenspigeles Lustige Streiche
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Bernard Haitink

(on Spotify)

Heldenleben was a mixed bag - the ending was beautiful and touching, but I found the violin solo wore on me quicker than most recordings, and the battle scene was kind of tepid. No such problems with Don Juan and Till, though - very solid performances.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

SonicMan46

Marais, Marin (1656-1728) - Fourth Book of Viol Pieces w/ Francois Joubert-Caillet and L'Achéron - 4 CD set, making 4 books released of four discs each - one more book left - listening off Spotify (to my den speakers, so good sound); unlikely to purchase these sets, i.e. rather expensive unless later packaged into a 'slim' box?  I've heard the other books and find that I'm enjoying these progressively more, likely related to style changes  over the course of these compositions and seems to be more enlivened involvement by the members of L'Achéron.  Dave :)

vers la flamme

Claude Debussy: Images pour orchestre. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Brilliant music making. In memoriam Haitink.

Mandryka

This is quite early Savall, and he makes the viol meow and growl, it's full of vehement intensity - rage and urgency and presence. Nothing is standard, nothing is stable, everything he does takes you into surprising territory, you're never in any sort of comfort zone.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen