Courante La Vallette
Courante De Mars
La Chacona
Une Jeune Fillette
Onder De Lindegröne
La Princesse
L'avignonne
Slaep Soete Slaep

This is an exquisite performance of this wonderfully sounding music. The playing is of the highest order and the recorded sound is very sympathetic to the music in a good recording.

Traverso

Morales

Good idea to listen to this requiem again.

aligreto

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 24, 2021, 03:07:52 AM
Enjoy it, Jan  8)

Thank you Fergus,it is a vey long time ago that I listened to this requiem,good to hear it again. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on October 23, 2021, 02:36:14 PM
Nielsen: Flute Concerto [Langevin/Gilbert]

Probably my favourite of the three concertos and what a great treasure of performances these are, including the symphonies.

I like this concerto. I like the naratory and conversational nature of it. I also like the orchestration in the work. I find it to be very imaginative, engaging, sometimes lean but always engaging and exciting.

Artem

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Traverso on October 24, 2021, 03:06:51 AM
Morales

Good idea to listen to this requiem again.

That's a fantastic record, and I always keep the Victoria Requiem from McCreesh & Co. right next to it as they make good companion works.
So, TD...

Spotted Horses

Szymanowski, String Quartet No 2.

A remarkable work. The first movement, eerily sweet melodies float over a skittering accompaniment. The second movement a sarcastic burlesque, the final movement another slow movement, more throbbing and assertive that the opening with some remarkably rich sonorities. Fine music. Fine performance.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Traverso

Artem

Very enjoyable modern string quartets.

Iota

Beethoven Tempest Sonata, Op.31, No.2

Jingge Yan (piano)

Prompted by discussion in the Beethoven Sonatas thread, I just had a listen to the Tempest Sonata with Yan. His first movement is liberally sprinkled with rhythmic pauses, often between up and downbeat, which are very noticeable, but in such an oratorical setting they worked well, not sure how they'd hold up with repeat hearings, but am optimistic. Also striking for me is the clarity with which he delineates themes, much enhancing their character. In the scramble for intensity the contrast can get flattened out in some recordings I think, listening to him really brought this home.
The 2nd and 3rd movements also very good, without the same levels of rhythmic intervention. Overall the impression is one of great concision offering a clear picture of someone with something real to say. Look forward with interest to hearing others.

vers la flamme

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.9 in D minor, WAB 109. Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmonic

Mirror Image

NP:

Debussy
Le jet d'eau, L. 64/3
Trois Ballades de François Villon, L 119

Alison Hagley, soprano
Cleveland Orchestra
Boulez

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Rameau:  Keyboard Works [Scott Ross] - Pièces de clavecin [1724]

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on October 24, 2021, 03:28:49 AM

Thank you Fergus,it is a vey long time ago that I listened to this requiem,good to hear it again. :)

That was actually my first time to hear that work.

Mirror Image

NP:

Debussy
Suite bergamasque, L 75
Kocsis

Traverso

Shostakovich

Symphony No.4

London Philharmonic Orchestra

Mandryka

This is a travesty of the music, dated and anachronistic. Bach's skeleton is turning in its grave, his attending angels in paradise are weeping.

Nevertheless it is so deeply felt, the musicians transmit such a strong sense of wanting to communicate - that it's a force of nature, the only way not to let it seduce you is never to play it. All resistance is futile.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 24, 2021, 03:31:07 AM

Probably my favourite of the three concertos [Flute] and what a great treasure of performances these are, including the symphonies.

I do not spend enough time with Nielsen's music. But there is so much other music as yet unheard by me. A universal dilemma for us all I suppose.