What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on October 25, 2021, 05:11:34 AM
This is true about most things in life. Good to see that you are not subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on October 25, 2021, 06:29:27 AM
I own this oddity, bought a remaindered copy long ago because of low price.

You've described it well. Bizarre and seemingly non-Bachian, but against all odds I enjoy listening. Pulled it off the shelf last night, first time in many years, and played it twice!
Granted I have awful taste... :P

Nah: chalk it up to appreciation of a curio ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Bernard Haitink In Memoriam:

Mahler
Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Gerhild Romberger, mezzo-soprano
Augsburger Domsingknaben, Frauenchor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Haitink

Debussy
La Mer
Concertgebouw
Haitink

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Haydn Quartets (discs 4-6) from the Quartetto Italiano 8-CD box - superb performances and excellent sound from 1960-70s recordings! Prompted by recent posts on this group - checking my database, this is all of them that I own - maybe should look for more, but would like to stick to specific composers?  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on October 25, 2021, 06:29:27 AM
I own this oddity, bought a remaindered copy long ago because of low price.

You've described it well. Bizarre and seemingly non-Bachian, but against all odds I enjoy listening. Pulled it off the shelf last night, first time in many years, and played it twice!
Granted I have awful taste... :P

Herman had a story about how they played a concert in Amsterdam I think and he knew someone who worked in their hotel - and he said that when they got back after the concert they were absolutely drained, wrecked, by the sheer intensity and seriousness of their own music making. I think a bit of that comes across in that Art of Fugue.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Shostakovich

Symphony No. 5

Symphony No. 6

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2021, 06:55:16 AM
Bernard Haitink In Memoriam:

Mahler
Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Gerhild Romberger, mezzo-soprano
Augsburger Domsingknaben, Frauenchor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
Haitink

Debussy
La Mer
Concertgebouw
Haitink

I thought that you didn't had a high opinion about Haitink.This Bruckner and Debussy are really great  :)

SonicMan46

Beethoven, LV - Piano Pieces w/ Tobias Koch on 5 different period instruments (described briefly in the first pic below; click image), and including an Orphika, or 'portable fortepiano' - this instrument is used on the short (15+ minutes only) third disc (10 minutes of 2 LVB pieces from 1796-98, and 5 minutes of works by Carl Leopold Röllig, who helped develop the Orphica - pic shown is from the web); all instruments are shown and described more fully in a handsome fold out wallet holder for the discs and booklet.  Reviews attached - unique set worth hearing and probably owning.  Dave :)

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 10:29:30 AM
Herman had a story about how they played a concert in Amsterdam I think and he knew someone who worked in their hotel - and he said that when they got back after the concert they were absolutely drained, wrecked, by the sheer intensity and seriousness of their own music making. I think a bit of that comes across in that Art of Fugue.

Of the Quartetto Italiano members only Borciani and Pegreffi participates in the AoF recording. Borciani died (aged 62) two months after the recording was made, and this may explain the intensity of the recording, if he had any premonitions.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 25, 2021, 11:11:49 AM
Of the Quartetto Italiano members only Borciani and Pegreffi participates in the AoF recording. Borciani died (aged 62) two months after the recording was made, and this may explain the intensity of the recording, if he had any premonitions.

Ah thanks, I was wondering why it doesn't say QI on the cover, I'd always assumed it was them. And in fact I was going to check this evening.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Walton: Symphony No.1
Philharmonia Orchestra
Bernard Haitink

A granitic performance:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

One of my favorite composers, Sofia Gubaidulina, turned 90 yesterday. Right now listening to her Second String Quartet (1987) by the Danish String Quartet, who are fantastic. About 9 minutes long, the piece opens with a unison "G" meditation, before venturing elsewhere. Some kind soul has synced the recording with the score, which is always welcome as one of the best educational tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyHVU3ny4c

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on October 25, 2021, 10:39:27 AM
I thought that you didn't had a high opinion about Haitink.This Bruckner and Debussy are really great  :)

I probably didn't years ago, but it's a different story nowadays. He was a remarkable conductor.

NP:

Kodály
Kádár Kata (Mother Listen)
Márta Szirmay, mezzo-soprano
Budapest SO
György Lehel

ritter

Dipping my toes into the Warner Saint-Saëns Edition.

Jeanne-Marie Darré plays the Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major, op. 17, with the French National Radio Orchestra conducted by Louis Fourestier (from CD 30 —i.e. the fourth of eight CDs of "Historical Recordings"— of this 34 CD box).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Iota

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 10:29:30 AM

OT, but I remember a teacher saying how Richter would sometimes come home after a successful concert dissatisfied, and practise all night in an attempt to put things right. It so impressed/struck me, the very last thing I ever wanted to do after a performance was to go home and practise! Whatever you think of his playing, the extraordinary intensity of his involvement seems fairly inarguable.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Iota on October 25, 2021, 12:56:34 PM
OT, but I remember a teacher saying how Richter would sometimes come home after a successful concert dissatisfied, and practise all night in an attempt to put things right. It so impressed/struck me, the very last thing I ever wanted to do after a performance was to go home and practise! Whatever you think of his playing, the extraordinary intensity of his involvement seems fairly inarguable.

That's like how every time I take a test I immediately go look up the questions I wasn't sure about to figure out if I did them correctly  ;D

SonicMan46

For the late afternoon and dinner music - some chamber works:

Vanhal, Johann (1739-1813) - Chamber Works w/ the performers shown below (also have 3 discs of string quartets); he played quartets w/ Mozart, Haydn, the Dittersdorf in Vienna in the 1780s; His name also in modern Czech form Jan Křtitel Vaňhal (Source).  Dave :)

vers la flamme

Franz Schubert: Fantasy for Piano in C major, D 760, the "Wanderer-Fantasie"; Fantasy for Violin & Piano in C major, D934. András Schiff, Yuuko Shiokawa

Brilliant disc. A beautiful performance from András Schiff, who really gets Schubert's music like few others, and his wife, the very talented Japanese violinist Yuuko Shiokawa. Schiff's performance of the Wanderer-Fantasie is very atmospheric and introspective, not treated as a kind of virtuoso showpiece like some others do it.

Sergeant Rock

October 25th, Balaclava Day. In honor of the fallen, listening to Max Steiner's Charge of the Light Brigade Suite.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"