Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Anthony Van Noordt.
Complete Organ Music.

Jan Pieterzoon Sweelinck.
6 Variations over "Erbarm dich mein".

Anthony Van Noordt.
Psalm 2,22,24,38,116.
Fantasia 2 a 4 in D minor & 2 a 4 in E minor & 4 a 4 in E minor.

Manuel Tomadin plays on a Stellwagen instrument 1636/37, Jacobikirche of Lübeck, Germany.
a=471 HZ, Werckmeister I.

The relevance of his music is enormous, and the world could not do without his music, despite the fact he has not many followers, or recordings to his name. The fact that he kept Sweelinck's music alive, is a huge plus to appreciate Van Noordt music too. It can stand on its own two feet, and bask in its glory with bright rays of celestial light. Good sound and by and large wonderful performances.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on October 27, 2021, 12:07:31 AM
Morning listening (this time on disc):

A gorgeous recording that focuses on the Southern Netherlands and its artistic ties with Italy, and the music at the Brussels court in the early 1600's.

https://earlymusicreview.com/the-ear-of-theodoor-van-loon/

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/the-ear-of-theodoor-van-loon

Agreed on all counts!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on October 27, 2021, 12:17:35 AM
Anthony Van Noordt.
Complete Organ Music.

Jan Pieterzoon Sweelinck.
6 Variations over "Erbarm dich mein".

Anthony Van Noordt.
Psalm 2,22,24,38,116.
Fantasia 2 a 4 in D minor & 2 a 4 in E minor & 4 a 4 in E minor.

Manuel Tomadin plays on a Stellwagen instrument 1636/37, Jacobikirche of Lübeck, Germany.
a=471 HZ, Werckmeister I.

The relevance of his music is enormous, and the world could not do without his music, despite the fact he has not many followers, or recordings to his name. The fact that he kept Sweelinck's music alive, is a huge plus to appreciate Van Noordt music too. It can stand on its own two feet, and bask in its glory with bright rays of celestial light. Good sound and by and large wonderful performances.

I'll try it!  :)

Sofar a Naxos recording featuring Peter Ouwerkerk didn't convince me that the music was really that interesting.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on October 27, 2021, 12:18:34 AM
Agreed on all counts!

And listening it on disc, in better sound and with background information make a real difference. :)

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 26, 2021, 08:34:25 AM
Interesting, I conducted Triad in a piece of hers, Long Pond Summer, probably our last concert prior to lockdown.

How cool! I've been really impressed with all six of  Ruehr's string quartets. Immensely enjoyable works.

I will look out Long Pond Summer, thank you, Karl.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Biffo

Quote from: aukhawk on October 26, 2021, 06:34:06 AM
( RVW 5 & 7 Haitink / LPO Live )

Not really answering your question but I retrieve this from the Composer thread in 2019 ...

Thanks for that, very interesting. I skipped the Manze recording as it has spoken superscriptions.

Iota

Nicholas Ludford: Missa Regnum Mundi

Blue Heron, Metcalfe

Always a pleasure. I love the blend of Blue Heron's voices, it seems quite straight compared to some ensembles, but takes flight so effortlessly. The Gloria is as close as to a gothic vaulted ceiling in sound as I know.

Tsaraslondon

Fabulous performances of the two Honegger symphonies; classic recordings which need no recommendations from me.

I'm not a big fan of the Stravinsky String Concerto, which has been added as a coupling, but there's no denying that this too is a superb performance.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Traverso

Bach

Cantatas BWV 81-72-156 & 155

Tsaraslondon

Going a bit further off the beaten track with this one. I'm rather enjoying it.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Shostakovich

Symphony No.8

The Pitsburgh Symhony Orchestra

Traverso

Beethoven

String Quartets  op.59

"Rasumovsky"  No. 1 & 2

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 26, 2021, 10:38:56 AM
NP:

Glière
Symphony No. 2 in C minor, Op. 25
BBC Philharmonic
Downes

Superb!

Great piece!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Traverso

Vaughan Williams

Symphony  No.6
In the Fen Country
On Wenlock Edge

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The new erato

Further listening to this great set!

Beethoven op 130
Debussy (second version on this set, now recorded in Milan 1954 and a really stunning version)
Milhaud no 12.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 27, 2021, 06:24:05 AM
Great piece!

It sure is, Kyle. I rather enjoyed it. This wasn't my first-listen, but it's been so long that it felt like the first-time.

Mirror Image

NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 1 In E, Op. 5, "Slavyanskaya"
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Serebrier

Papy Oli

Shostakovich - Symphony No.4
(Barshai)

Olivier