What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Zelenka, Hipocondrie a 7, Harnoncourt

(I have an older Teldec CD release, rather than this more recent bargain reissue.)

A "Hipocondrie" seems to be his name for a traditional French Overture (such as the first movements from the Bach Orchestral Suites). Colorful, harmonically interesting, melodic, played with spirit by Harnoncourt's ensemble.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Vieuxtemps, Henri (1820-1881) - Violin Concertos - 7 works on 3-CDs performed by violin students w/ the Orch Phil Royal de Liège conducted by Patrick Davin; short bio synopsis in first quote; Vieuxtemps played on the violin described in the second quote and pictured below, apparently the 'most expensive' violin in the world (at least at the moment - more HERE).  Review attached for those interested.  Dave :)

QuoteHenri Vieuxtemps was a Belgian composer and violinist. He occupies an important place in the history of the violin as a prominent exponent of the Franco-Belgian violin school during the mid-19th century. He is also known for playing what is now known as the Vieuxtemps Guarneri del Gesù, a violin of superior workmanship. (Source)

QuoteThe Vieuxtemps Guarneri is a violin built by the renowned Italian instrument maker Giuseppe Guarneri around 1741. One of the last built by Bartolomeo Giuseppe Guarneri, this Guarneri del Gesù instrument gained its name after being owned by the Belgian 19th century violinist Henri Vieuxtemps. The instrument was later used by Yehudi Menuhin, Itzhak Perlman and Pinchas Zukerman. Past owners of the instrument have included Sir Isaac Wolfson and Ian Stoutzker. (Source)

Mirror Image

NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 2 in F-sharp minor, Op. 16
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Serebrier

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on October 26, 2021, 11:58:58 PM
My 1st impressions were very favourable.  :)
I've put it on the shopping list.

I thought it was too much like Dufay à la Schubert to be interesting - I mean they sing it in the manner of 19th century songs. Listening to this though, which I recommend enthusiastically

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 27, 2021, 07:24:55 AM
Vieuxtemps, Henri (1820-1881) - Violin Concertos - 7 works on 3-CDs performed by violin students w/ the Orch Phil Royal de Liège conducted by Patrick Davin; short bio synopsis in first quote; Vieuxtemps played on the violin described in the second quote and pictured below, apparently the 'most expensive' violin in the world (at least at the moment - more HERE).  Review attached for those interested.  Dave :)

Good grief Dave, did you miss my enthusiastic reviews some years ago about this set, I was almost lyrical about it. Still think its the best set around of Vieuxtemps Violin concertos, and well recorded too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Iota

Mompou: Preludes

Federico Mompou (piano)

A first dip into this set, with Mompou playing his own Preludes. He's a fine pianist who plays with freedom and a palpable absorption, though there's something about the transfer/production (?) that gives the piano an oddly unhinged sound, some of the notes seem even to have vibrato. It actually kind of suits the character of the pieces, which feels somewhat alienated-outsider-looking-in infused with hints of Catalan soulfulness, and I enjoyed the music and his playing very much. But it's so marked that I don't know how well it'll hold up on repeated playings.

vandermolen

Richard Hill: 'Images from Kubla Khan'
A highly enjoyable and atmospheric work.
Hat-tip to Roy Bland for alerting us to it:

PS I think that this music would appeal to admirers of Alan Hovhaness.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2021, 06:50:33 AM
NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 1 In E, Op. 5, "Slavyanskaya"
Serebrier

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2021, 07:27:37 AM
NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 2 in F-sharp minor, Op. 16
Serebrier

I'll have to pull this set out. It's been awhile since I listened to Glazunov symphonies!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 27, 2021, 08:35:33 AM
I'll have to pull this set out. It's been awhile since I listened to Glazunov symphonies!

Mostly I remember the unfinished final symphony being a highlight of the set.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 27, 2021, 08:40:25 AM
Mostly I remember the unfinished final symphony being a highlight of the set.

I can't say that I remember much about the symphonies, but found the concertos and ballet music performances enthralling!

Karl Henning

Weinberg
Chamber Symphony № 3, Op. 151
Kremerata Baltica
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Traverso on October 27, 2021, 06:24:30 AM
Vaughan Williams

Symphony  No.6
In the Fen Country
On Wenlock Edge

I think that's one of the strongest performances in the set (along with 'A Sea Symphony' and 'Sinfonia Antartica') and I like the combination of works on the CD. I'd left the single EMI CD out, to play as another 'Haitink Tribute'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 27, 2021, 08:45:13 AM
I can't say that I remember much about the symphonies, but found the concertos and ballet music performances enthralling!

For the symphonies I found the Jarvi recordings of Orfeo a bit more engaging, overall, but only Serebreir recorded the unfinished symphony, as far as I know.

classicalgeek

I got my Charles Munch box last night! ;D Only had time for a couple of selections...

Berlioz
Roman Carnival Overture
Overture to Beatrice and Benedict
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch

What performances! I've never heard them done better - full of life and character and excitement, and excellently played. I still can't believe I was able to get this box at all, let alone for a reasonable price. I can't wait to really dig in!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 27, 2021, 09:15:53 AM
I got my Charles Munch box last night! ;D Only had time for a couple of selections...

Berlioz
Roman Carnival Overture
Charles Munch

What performances! I've never heard them done better - full of life and character and excitement, and excellently played. I still can't believe I was able to get this box at all, let alone for a reasonable price. I can't wait to really dig in!
Happy that you are enjoying his recordings; he and the BSO made a fine combination.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 27, 2021, 09:15:53 AM

Berlioz
Roman Carnival Overture
Charles Munch

Munch/BSO/Berlioz was the first box I ever purchased, and I love it still.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on October 27, 2021, 08:11:33 AM
Good grief Dave, did you miss my enthusiastic reviews some years ago about this set, I was almost lyrical about it. Still think its the best set around of Vieuxtemps Violin concertos, and well recorded too.

LOL! Harry - not sure why your grieving? I bought that set in 2015, just doing a repeat listening this morning; probably bought back then based on your comments and the excellent review in Fanfare - enjoying yet again.  Dave :)

bhodges

Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Haitink / Concertgebouw, live Christmas Day matinee, 1986) - So happy that this series is on YouTube (though the DVD quality is likely even better). Very moving to see Haitink in action and so alert at 56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruTSRVecMo

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA