Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Anthoni Van Noordt

Just found in the mailbox :)

CD 1

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on November 19, 2021, 02:34:09 AM

Two comments, on what I think is the start of a little private Gothic Voices festival for me. This one chosen pretty well at random.

1. How incisive and dramatic their singing was at the time of this CD. And how intense. There's a sense of freshness, discovery.

2. There is definitely a 15th century courtly style of song in France and Italy, I guess this recording is designed to show that. And there's a lot which could have gone wrong with this: there's not much variation of texture for example, the harmonic language is quite similar etc. But the singing is so good it makes the whole recording -- which really consists of 13 similar numbers -- very listenable from start to end.

I must listen to this recording again  :)

Traverso

It is a feast to listen to this recording,it really warms my heart,great music making and a beautiful sounding organ and well recorded, I am delighted  :)

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2021, 10:24:28 AM
A superb work!

It is and the one work that will save Rebecca Clarke from the curse of anonymity.

From the same double CD the turbulent Bridge, Cello Sonata. Standing astride the old and new Frank Bridge. Composed between 1913 and 1917 this work is of interest at many levels, not least WWI and the development of the composer himself.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Tsaraslondon

A few years ago I came across the Libera Me from this performances on youtube and I was totally knocked out by Norman's performance. Shortly after it disappeared from youtube and I searched in vain to see if the complete performances had ever been issued. Eventually the complete performance did surface on youtube, but I was thrilled to find earlier this tear that it had been issued on disc by BR Klassik.

I have the earlier of Muti's commercial recordings, which was recorded round about the same time as this 1981 performance. It also features Baltsa and Nesterenko, but has Scotto and Luchetti in the soprano and tenor roles. It is a performance I've always enjoyed, but it has to be said that this live one trumps it. It doesn't have the precision of the studio effort, but there is a real sense of occasion and the soloists could hardly be bettered.

This is the only instance I know of Norman singing the soprano part and she is absolutely magnificent, just as intelligent as Scotto, but more comfortable in the upper regions of the role, where Scotto can be squally. Carreras is at his youthful, honeyed best, his voice still very beautiful and singing with wonderful commitment. Baltsa and Nesterenko are even finer than they were in the studio version.

Muti's conducting is urgently dramatic, but also tender and lyrical. In short this is one of the best performances I've ever heard of the work and might just now become my favourite.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Prokofiev SY1 & Piano Concerto No. 1. Karel Ancerl/S. Richter

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on November 19, 2021, 06:17:17 AM
Anthoni Van Noordt

Just found in the mailbox :)

CD 1

I hope you like it as much as I did.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on November 19, 2021, 06:29:52 AM
It is a feast to listen to this recording,it really warms my heart,great music making and a beautiful sounding organ and well recorded, I am delighted  :)

Great, that were my thoughts too!

Harry

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Dvorak: Symphony No. 5 [Rowicki]

I find the opening movement to be well driven here. There is a great sense of energy, forward momentum and a refined, as opposed to uncontrolled, sense of excitement. The strings are effusive but the true highlight of this presentation, for me, is the treatment of the woodwinds. The slow movement is presented here as a wonderfully lyrical affair. The rich and textural scoring is also very well presented, highlights being the lower register strings and, once again, the woodwinds. Once again, the wonderfully rich orchestral textures of the Scherzo are very well presented here. Should I mention the scoring for woodwinds again? The final movement opens with a heightened sense of tension, drama and excitement. This music has dark, tension filled undercurrents to it. It is also filled with excitement. The brass section has a vital role here. The movement builds up to a powerful conclusion. The brass section has a prominent role here.
I think that this symphony has a wonderful voice and life force of its own. It demands constant attention in order to appreciate the wonderfully rich orchestration, harmonies and counterpoint, drama and tension that prevails throughout the work.

SonicMan46

von Weber, Carl Maria (1786-1826) - Clarinet Concertos & Quintet w/ the performers shown below - top two w/ Kriikku and Frost on modern instruments and bottom two w/ Hoeprich and Pay on period clarinets - reviews attached.  Dave :)

Traverso

Beethoven

Piano Concerto No.1

Martha Argerich    Erard piano 1849
Orchestra of the 18TH Century

DVD contains also a portait of the Orchestra and Frans Brúggen.

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 18, 2021, 01:32:24 PM
I have Checkmate on my radar as well - if it's as good as Adam Zero, I'm going to really like it! I'm guessing those are anvils at the beginning of Adam's Fates;D Another one I really want to hear is Electra by Malcolm Arnold. I really enjoy Arnold's symphonies and concertos - I have to imagine a ballet by him would be just as delightful!

Regarding Arnold's ballets, I can't recommend this disc highly enough:

[asin]B002NLRD4A[/asin]

These ballet scores cover the entire gamut of Arnold's music personality, from richly noble and sumptuous (Homage to the Queen), sardonic and humorous (Sweeney Todd), to darkly psychological (Electra). Wonderful stuff all-around!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Linz

Oh why not? I will give Dennis Russell Davies and  the Stuttgarter's another shot

aligreto

Glinka: Ivan Susanin [A Life For The Tsar] Overture & Waltz - Fantasia [Svetlanov]

This is terrific, very engaging, beguiling and exciting music and also wonderful music making. The orchestration is wonderful with an emphasis on the brass section which is wonderfully delivered.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on November 19, 2021, 08:11:51 AM
Beethoven

Piano Concerto No.1

Martha Argerich    Erard piano 1849
Orchestra of the 18TH Century

DVD contains also a portait of the Orchestra and Frans Brúggen.

What a very fine collaboration of wonderful musicians.  8)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on November 19, 2021, 08:38:34 AM
What a very fine collaboration of wonderful musicians. 8)

It is..... whatever she's playing I'm always excited, I'd like to see her play more Beethoven but I don't think it will ever come .She is a bright star, insecure but with a great heart. :)