What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

ritter

Quote from: aligreto on November 19, 2021, 01:26:42 PM
Mozart's Serenata notturna, KV 239 and the Posthorn-Serenade, KV 320 are two of the eternally great works IMHO.
Indeed they are...so easy to take them for granted.  ::)

Good evening, Fergus.

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on November 19, 2021, 01:29:50 PM
Indeed they are...so easy to take them for granted.  ::)

Good evening, Fergus.

The taking for granted of great music is a constant danger. We should be on our guard against it constantly. Works like these have stood the test of time and taste for centuries for very good reason.

I hope that you have had a pleasant evening.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on November 19, 2021, 01:16:40 PM
Richter: Exiles [Kristjan Jarvi]

I did not listen to the entire album, I merely chose to listen to the work "Exiles".

I found this work to be highly repetitive. That, however, was not unexpected. Given that, the core of the music is essentially very engaging. It gradually builds up, through the movements, to a highly charged emotional crescendo. This is wonderfully delivered by the orchestra and developed by Jarvi.
+1 'Exiles' is the highlight. My favourite Max Richter album.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Bruckner 9 From 1993 with Takashi Asahina

Klavier1

André

A hodge-podge of a program, nicely played.

JBS

Landed today. So far, so very good.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: Klavier1 on November 19, 2021, 02:29:35 PM
No.30-32 from this superb set.

How does it compare to complete cycles by pianists from earlier generations e.g. Claudio Arrau, Wilhelm Backhaus, Friedrich Gulda, etc. ?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

And its natural mate, Danny Elfman's score to Tim Burton's Batman

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 18, 2021, 04:47:50 PM
Symphony No. 2

I had forgot how compelling this symphony manages to be. I'm in the first movement and it's thoroughly engaging to say the least. There are some cleverly disguised Dvorak gestures here, but with American accent.

Indeed, it turns out I enjoy this work more than I had previously thought. The second and fifth movements, in particular, are irresistibly tuneful and great fun! There's definitely more to the work than its famously zany ending. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on November 19, 2021, 06:37:08 AM

From the same double CD the turbulent Bridge, Cello Sonata. Standing astride the old and new Frank Bridge. Composed between 1913 and 1917 this work is of interest at many levels, not least WWI and the development of the composer himself.

A great work which, as you say, stands at the precipice between Bridge's late-romantic early style and his darkly chromatic mature style. One can hear premonitions of "things to come" in the mysterious opening of the 2nd movement.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on November 19, 2021, 08:28:58 AM
Regarding Arnold's ballets, I can't recommend this disc highly enough:

[asin]B002NLRD4A[/asin]

These ballet scores cover the entire gamut of Arnold's music personality, from richly noble and sumptuous (Homage to the Queen), sardonic and humorous (Sweeney Todd), to darkly psychological (Electra). Wonderful stuff all-around!

My bad, the image isn't appearing. Let's try this again:

Mirror Image

Now playing The Miraculous Mandarin from this new acquisition:

Damn, this is so good! This is played with some bite to it --- incredibly intense. I have to say I've enjoyed Dausgaard's work with the Scottish BBC SO so far. His Sibelius Kullervo (on Hyperion) is one of my favorite performances of this work.

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Brahms
String Quartet No. 3 in B-flat major, Op. 67
Belcea Quartet

Linz

I am now listening to Marcus Bosch's Bruckner 9 with The Samale and Cohrs Mazzuca Finale

Klavier1

Quote from: Cato on November 19, 2021, 04:33:53 PM
How does it compare to complete cycles by pianists from earlier generations e.g. Claudio Arrau, Wilhelm Backhaus, Friedrich Gulda, etc. ?

Definitely more technically secure, yet not without feeling. I think he combines some of the old-world interpretive sensibilities with cleaner, more effortless technique.

Que

Quote from: aligreto on November 19, 2021, 01:22:09 PM
I would definitely not disagree with you there, Que. Svetlanov offers wonderfully exciting and incisive presentations of these works.

I can recommend his recordings of: Borodin, Glazunov, Kalinnikov, Lyadov and naturally Tchaikovsky!

Que

Morning listening - 2nd disc:

What gorgeous music! Although the intricate dense textures might revael their secrets to experienced Early Music listeners only. And great performances, some of Beauty Farm's best IMO.
This morning I managed to decifer the liner notes in small white print on black pages... still think presentation is ridiculous.

Que

Quote from: Que on November 15, 2021, 02:55:38 AM

Last disc. What a magnificent, game changing series  :)

I'm about to pull the trigger on another set.... 8)

Mandryka

Gothic Voices, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. This is ars antiqua songs and motets, lots lyricism and variety though always the same Gothic Voices sound. It is becoming increasingly clear to me that I don't like Margeret Philpot's voice I'm afraid - I just find what she does boring. For balance I'll say that I love Covey Crump's voice! The singing generally has the feeling of very well executed museum pieces rather than incandescent risk taking spontaneous music making - I wonder if they over rehearsed. That makes the CD a bit like an aural reference book.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen