What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, AnotherSpin and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Romance for Viola and Piano
This beautiful work was discovered amongst VW's papers after his death.
It's absolutely classic Vaughan Williams and not to be missed by anyone who likes his music.
Here it is (live performance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYVr7oW8eo
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:08:29 AM
It's absolutely classic Vaughan Williams and not to be missed by anyone who likes his music.

Ordered! Like the look of track list with a strong presence of Rebecca Clarke.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Eshpai: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari.

An alpine gift.

Thanks again Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2021, 01:08:14 AM
Eshpai: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari.

An alpine gift.

Thanks again Jeffrey.
My pleasure Lol!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2021, 01:05:12 AM

It's really great Lol - not only for the VW Romance and the fine Rebecca Clarke Sonata etc but for the marvellous 'Legend for Viola and Piano' by Bax, with its wonderfully oppressive, doom-laden opening section. It really is a fine disc.

Que

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Complete Organ Works, Volume 6.

BWV: 1104-1120 & 957,645, 649.

Ewald Kooiman, Organ.
Johann Andreas Silbermann 1745, Wasselonne, Temple Protestant, France.

Wonderful.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Tsaraslondon

Tennstedt's Das Lied von der Erde doesn't seem to have many fans, though it had a very favourable review from Alan Blyth in Gramophone when it was first issued in 1992. Interestingly it was recorded in sessions at Abbey Road in 1982 and 1984 so I don't know why its release was delayed so long.

Orchestrally it is very fine indeed. Speeds are on the slow side but it certainly doesn't drag. König is not in the Wunderlich class and not, I think, as fine as Kmentt but still sings well and is less stressed than King in Haitink's studio recording with Baker. Baltsa is something of a surprise. It is not the sort of voice one would associate with Mahler, but the voice has its own tangy beauty and she is very effective in one of the slowest Abschied in record, her final repeated cries of ewig beautifully hypnotic. I would not prefer her to Baker or Ferrier or Ludwig, but I still find her contribution fascinating and she does draw you in.

I don't know why it is that I am always surpirsed at just how good this performance is every time I hear it.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mandryka

I think this is a tremendous performance of the op 11 sonata.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:08:29 AM

Lovely, Jeffrey!

Had he completed it or was he still working on it?

PD
Quote from: Irons on November 27, 2021, 01:05:12 AM

Cool!  Now where have I heard of Rebecca Clarke before?   :-\

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2021, 03:53:26 PM
Love this disc ...

CD 10:

Schoenberg

String Quartet № 4, Op. 37

Webern
Five Movements for String Quartet, Op. 5

Berg
String Quartet Op. 3

I see that you're on a Schoenberg path these days Karl!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Disc 9 from "Vaughan Williams:  The Collector's Edition" 

Serenade to Music
English Folk Songs Suite (orch. Gordon Jacob)
Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1
Fantasia on 'Greensleeves'
In the Fen Country
The Lark Ascending

Lovely start to the day.  Serenade to Music is growing on me  :)  A rather abrupt change of pace between that though and the English Folk Songs Suite (a favorite of mine).  Forgotten how beautiful In the Fen Country was.  Followed by a strong favorite of mine by Vaughan Williams...off now to soar with the lark....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2021, 03:51:40 AM
Lovely, Jeffrey!

Had he completed it or was he still working on it?

PDCool!  Now where have I heard of Rebecca Clarke before?   :-\

PD
Completed AFAIK PD.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2021, 05:02:53 AM
Disc 9 from "Vaughan Williams:  The Collector's Edition" 

Serenade to Music
English Folk Songs Suite (orch. Gordon Jacob)
Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1
Fantasia on 'Greensleeves'
In the Fen Country
The Lark Ascending

Lovely start to the day.  Serenade to Music is growing on me  :)  A rather abrupt change of pace between that though and the English Folk Songs Suite (a favorite of mine).  Forgotten how beautiful In the Fen Country was.  Followed by a strong favorite of mine by Vaughan Williams...off now to soar with the lark....

PD

Great selection of beautiful V-W works; I can't say that I remember much regarding the 'Serenade to Music' though, it's been ages (and there are several versions, chamber & orchestral, I think); I'll listen to it now ...

Traverso

De Leidse Koorboeken

It's a good idea to start to relisten to these recordings,I  start with volume 1

CD 1

Iota

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 26, 2021, 02:08:45 AM

Like the Krips version I was listening to earlier today, this recording is live, but here absolutely no allowances need to be made for the sound and the audience is, for the most part, admirably quiet, listening in rapt attention, and who can blame them?

For anyone who loves this work, I'd say this performance was absolutely essential, the final Abschied absolutely shattering in its quiet intensity. Baker, who was always at her greatest in Mahler, quite outdoes even herself on her other recorded versions (Haitink studio and Leppard and Kempe live). She sings with inwardness, radiance and the deepest understanding of the emotional core of the songs, not quite matched by any other singer I have come across.

Kubelik was always a great Mahlerian and here he captures brilliantly the work's emotional range. Waldemar Kmentt doesn't quite have Wunderlich's heady beauty of tone (who does?), but he is a fine interpreter of the tenor songs.

How fortunate we are that this great performance was captured for posterity. My desert island choice.

Agreed, a marvel, which is probably at the top of my DLVDE pile too. Kubelik reveals the rich complexities of the score so well, and he and Baker work together beautifully. Kmentt really fine too, and doesn't sound at all out of place in such distinguished company.

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2021, 10:59:16 PM
The Ondine CD has one of the best Tapiolas as well IMO as well as a great 4 Legends I like Segerstam's Sibelius recordings.

+1

Here:

Martinu: Piano Quintet No.1

Martinu Quartet, Karel Kosarek (piano)

Brilliant. A perfect balance of neo and non neo. Executed in style.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 05:09:24 AM
Great selection of beautiful V-W works; I can't say that I remember much regarding the 'Serenade to Music' though, it's been ages (and there are several versions, chamber & orchestral, I think); I'll listen to it now ...
There's at least a choral version and one for various soloists (which is the one that I listened to with Norma Burrowes, Sheila Armstrong, Ian Partridge, etc.).  I think that I might try and listen to it again tonight (looking at the lyrics again--by Shakespeare).

Had a great flight with the lark; my heart is still soaring.  :)

It's a wonderful set of his music: 

PD

p.s.  Hope that you enjoy your listen!
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 27, 2021, 03:04:54 AM

Tennstedt's Das Lied von der Erde doesn't seem to have many fans, though it had a very favourable review from Alan Blyth in Gramophone when it was first issued in 1992. Interestingly it was recorded in sessions at Abbey Road in 1982 and 1984 so I don't know why its release was delayed so long.

Orchestrally it is very fine indeed. Speeds are on the slow side but it certainly doesn't drag. König is not in the Wunderlich class and not, I think, as fine as Kmentt but still sings well and is less stressed than King in Haitink's studio recording with Baker. Baltsa is something of a surprise. It is not the sort of voice one would associate with Mahler, but the voice has its own tangy beauty and she is very effective in one of the slowest Abschied in record, her final repeated cries of ewig beautifully hypnotic. I would not prefer her to Baker or Ferrier or Ludwig, but I still find her contribution fascinating and she does draw you in.

I don't know why it is that I am always surprised at just how good this performance is every time I hear it.

I like this recording a lot and its lack of attention from the critics doesn't mean anything to me. It's a beautiful performance.

NP:

Britten
Suite on English Folk Tunes, Op. 90 "A Time There Was..."
Bournemouth SO
Hickox