What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 26, 2021, 08:47:30 PM
Hey, that sounds like a great idea

Sergei Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.1 in F-sharp minor, op.1. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Excellent performance... Ashkenazy is one of my favorites in Rachmaninov's concertos, and all of his music, really.

& now, after 7 hours of sleep, finishing the disc in the morning with the Paganini Rhapsody. Damn this is a killer disc. I should probably find the other Ashkenazy/Haitink Rachmaninov concertos.

Que

MusicTurner

Vaughan-Williams - Serenade to Music /M.Best, soloists, Corydon Singers, ECO etc. /Hyperion 4 CD

Que

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 05:39:44 AM
& now, after 7 hours of sleep, finishing the disc in the morning with the Paganini Rhapsody. Damn this is a killer disc. I should probably find the other Ashkenazy/Haitink Rachmaninov concertos.

You should!  :)  I spent a large part of my teenage years with them - loved these recordings with passion.

Mirror Image

Continuing my traversal of Blomstedt's Sibelius cycle:

Sibelius
Symphony No. 3 in C major, Op. 52
San Francisco SO
Blomstedt

vers la flamme

Quote from: Que on November 27, 2021, 05:43:59 AM
You should!  :)  I spent a large part of my teenage years with them - loved these recordings with passion.

I figured hey, I already have the Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO recordings, why should I get these—but I'm thinking the Haitink ones might be even better.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 05:43:03 AM
Vaughan-Williams - Serenade to Music /M.Best, soloists, Corydon Singers, ECO etc. /Hyperion 4 CD

How did you find your revisiting of the work to be MT?

PD

p.s.  For what it's worth, I haven't heard your recording of it before.
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Vlado Perlemuter plays Ravel: the Piano Concerto in G major (with the Colonne Orchestra conducted by Jascha Horenstein), Le Tombeau de Couperin, the Pavane, the Sonatine, the Prélude, and Valses nobles et sentimentales.

CD2 of this set:

vers la flamme

Johann Sebastian Bach: Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major, BWV 1068. Sigiswald Kuijken, La Petite Bande

Great stuff! Kuijken is a fine musician. I would love to hear more of his recordings as conductor and soloist alike.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2021, 05:58:14 AM
How did you find your revisiting of the work to be MT?

PD

p.s.  For what it's worth, I haven't heard your recording of it before.

It is beautiful, well performed & sung & I am listening to it several times. It's been a while since I heard any bigger English vocal works - perhaps the reason why I was also reminded of Faure's style in this piece ... ;). But very English, of course.

I also have Boult's recording, on LP.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2021, 03:53:14 AM
I see that you're on a Schoenberg path these days Karl!  :)

PD

Remembering all over again how I love the quartets, esp.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Pjotr Ll'yich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No. 4.

Marinsky Orchestra, Valery Gergiev.

For me the best performance I heard so far of this symphony, and believe me I heard them almost all.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 06:01:54 AM

Johann Sebastian Bach: Orchestral Suite No.3 in D major, BWV 1068. Sigiswald Kuijken, La Petite Bande

Great stuff! Kuijken is a fine musician. I would love to hear more of his recordings as conductor and soloist alike.

You must try this Rameau  recording ,the Bach suites   DHM recording is my favorite  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2021, 05:59:04 AM
Vlado Perlemuter plays Ravel: the Piano Concerto in G major (with the Colonne Orchestra conducted by Jascha Horenstein), Le Tombeau de Couperin, the Pavane, the Sonatine, the Prélude, and Valses nobles et sentimentales.

CD2 of this set:

Nice disc!

Traverso

Bach

Quality time  :)

Sonata BWV 1030
Sonata BWV 1035
Sonata BWV 1032

vers la flamme

Quote from: "Harry" on November 27, 2021, 06:17:54 AM
Pjotr Ll'yich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No. 4.

Marinsky Orchestra, Valery Gergiev.

For me the best performance I heard so far of this symphony, and believe me I heard them almost all.

Hey, nice! I have the earlier Kirov on Philips and I really like it (listened yesterday). This one also looks very good.

@Jan I'll have to find that Rameau. I'm a novice to that composer's music but it seems evident that he's one of the worthier French baroque composers. (I struggle with French baroque.)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 06:09:11 AM
It is beautiful, well performed & sung & I am listening to it several times. It's been a while since I heard any bigger English vocal works - perhaps the reason why I was also reminded of Faure's style in this piece ... ;). But very English, of course.

I also have Boult's recording, on LP.
Glad that you enjoyed it!  :)

Recent listening:  Max Reger's Suite for Solo Cello Reaction:  On first listen, o.k. but didn't do much for me.
Followed by:  Paul Hindemith's Sonata for Solo Cello  Quite enjoyed it!  Will have to listen again soon.

Both played by Matt Haimovitz from earlier mentioned set.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2021, 06:12:58 AM
Remembering all over again how I love the quartets, esp.
I don't know them.  Will have to check them out!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 06:49:13 AM
Hey, nice! I have the earlier Kirov on Philips and I really like it (listened yesterday). This one also looks very good.

@Jan I'll have to find that Rameau. I'm a novice to that composer's music but it seems evident that he's one of the worthier French baroque composers. (I struggle with French baroque.)

There's a variety of styles in French Baroque and not at least related recordings, both introvert, sophisticated, and plain fun. The aspect of simply very rustic dances can be prominent in some recordings of Rameau operas (such as Minkowski's 'Platee') and in some recordings of orchestral works/suites by composers.

Here are examples from the last-mentioned approach in orchestral works by Boismortier, the Serenades & concertos on Naxos (perhaps skip the Chaconne for this):
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8011004--boismortier-serenades-francaises-fragments-melodiques