What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

This will make Ray smile—

CD 13:

"Wolferl"
String Quartet in D, K. 499 « Hoffmeister »
String Quartet in D, K. 575
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on November 27, 2021, 12:29:24 PM
I think that the two Tactus CDs, rereleased by Brilliant, have the complete Picccinini, Luciano Conti with Book 1 and Francesco Torelli with Book 2. If I think about it, I seem to enjoy book 1 more than Book 2 because all the recordings I enjoy are Bk 1 only! Including Luciano Conti in fact. I will try to give Francesco Torelli another chance soon.

Well, I thought that Brilliant 2-CD looked familiar - it was 'hiding away' in a corner of my den!  :laugh:

Below the cover/back art and a listing of the works on both discs - as stated above Conti on Bk 1 and Torelli on Bk 2 - the latter helped write the short notes in the booklet; each CD is under 60 mins; the instruments used, i.e. lute or chitarrone are indicated by asterisks on the back cover (unclear from the discussion whether restored or reproduction instruments were used?).  Also, not sure if these recordings contain 'all' of the composer's works for these instruments?  For those interested, a short synopsis HERE w/ pics and a description of the chitarrone.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 27, 2021, 01:03:25 PM
This will make Ray smile—

CD 13:

"Wolferl"
String Quartet in D, K. 499 « Hoffmeister »
String Quartet in D, K. 575

Oh yes indeed. Anytime someone mentions the Hoffmeister.  :D

Mandryka

Very surprising from the counterpoint point of view. Not Rübsam style but independent voices producing for me, surprising textures. You may not like it (I'm not sure I do), but it is something to hear.

The pace is leisurely, sobre apart from the counterpoint. It doesn't seem to flow from one variation to another - like we have a sequence of more or less independent studies. Nice enough instrument - quite a distinctive one. And very good sound.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Works for "spatialised orchestra" by Marc-André Dalbavie : Concertate il suono, Antiphonie (double concerto for clarinet —Romain Guyot— and basset horn —Jérôme Voisin— ), and The Dream of the Unified Space.

Pascal Rophé conducts the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France.

Of course the spatialisation cannot be appreciated in a standard stereo recording, but there's plenty of musical interest in these pieces regardless, and I have always found Dalbavie's very sensual language hugely appealing.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 10:28:07 AM
Not knowing the Ermitage recording, his DG Davidsbündlertänze is enjoyable too ...
He's one of my favorite pianists.  Will have to see what other recordings I have of him of this work...maybe on LP?  I do have some boxed sets of his.  Love his Bartok in particular.  :)  Which ones do you have of his MT?

Here's a photo of that Ermitage CD for you:

The CD info is ERM 168-2

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 27, 2021, 11:05:26 AM
Hi PD - I've culled out a few Bartok SQ recordings in the past but likely not the Takács Quartet; I have their complete Beethoven SQ discs and enjoy (along w/ several other groups). But being curious, I was looking at reviews of the Alexander and Emerson performances (attached if you're interested) - comparison is often made to the Takács recordings, however, don't believe I've heard them in Bartok (and likely would enjoy from the comments made and seeing some reviews).  Now this morning I was looking for reviews on the Ragazze Quartet CDs but could not find any except some on the Channel website - thus will be curious. 
So, pardon but I'm a bit confused, do you own the Takács recordings or did own...a bit confused by your comments.  Or are you perhaps not certain whether or not you owned them in the past and perhaps got rid of them?  In any event, can you listen to them online and see whether or not you like them?

Looking forward to your comments about the Ragazze Quartet's recordings.

Best,

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2021, 01:37:00 PM
Works for "spatialised orchestra" by Marc-André Dalbavie : Concertate il suono, Antiphonie (double concerto for clarinet —Romain Guyot— and basset horn —Jérôme Voisin— ), and The Dream of the Unified Space.

Of course the spatialisation cannot be appreciated in a standard stereo recording, but there's plenty of musical interest in these pieces regardless, and I have always found Dalbavie's very sensual language hugely appealing.

Nice! Good night, Rafael.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:43:13 PM
Howard Hanson: Symphony No.4 'Requiem' (for his father).
This is IMO one of the great Hanson discs as, not only does it include two of his finest symphonies (No.4 was also recorded by Bernstein) but also two very moving shorter works, which are not even mentioned on the front of the CD. These are the poignant 'Elegy in Memory of Serge Koussevitsky' (1956) and 'Dies Natalis' (1967). Excellent performances from Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle SO:

Wonderful disc!

VonStupp

Quote from: vandermolen on November 27, 2021, 12:43:13 PM
Howard Hanson: Symphony No.4 'Requiem' (for his father).
This is IMO one of the great Hanson discs as, not only does it include two of his finest symphonies (No.4 was also recorded by Bernstein) but also two very moving shorter works, which are not even mentioned on the front of the CD. These are the poignant 'Elegy in Memory of Serge Koussevitsky' (1956) and 'Dies Natalis' (1967). Excellent performances from Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle SO:

I don't have the Naxos reissue, but the Hanson Vol. 5 on Delos paired with The Mystic Trumpeter. I remember Dies Natalis being the best of the lot on that Delos recording, and I love the hymn tune Hanson exploits.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Linz

I am listening to Bruckner's Quintet and Quartet with the Altomonte Ensemble

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2021, 01:37:00 PM

Ooh, thanks for this. Haven't heard any Dalbavie in quite awhile, and that's not good. As you say, hugely appealing.  8)

--Bruce

vers la flamme

Quote from: Linz on November 27, 2021, 12:10:50 PM
I am now listening to Respighi's Pines of Rome with Muti and the Phladelphia Orchestra

Excellent recording.

For me:

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.7 in E minor. Claudio Abbado, Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Great recording! The only part I'm not sure how I feel about would be the finale, not sure if Abbado is able to make it work here. We'll see how I feel this go around.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2021, 01:42:21 PM
So, pardon but I'm a bit confused, do you own the Takács recordings or did own...a bit confused by your comments.  Or are you perhaps not certain whether or not you owned them in the past and perhaps got rid of them?  In any event, can you listen to them online and see whether or not you like them?

Looking forward to your comments about the Ragazze Quartet's recordings.

Best, PD

Hi PD - did not mean to be 'confusing', usually not my gestalt -  8)  First, I have not heard the Takács doing Bartok (own them in Beethoven only at the moment, and heard them at Carnegie Hall in NYC doing the same probably pre-2000).  Second, from the reviews read, the Takács Bartok recordings are well received; they are available on Spotify so I can give them a listen, and I shall listen to more of the Ragazze Quartet - but the Emersons and Alexander Quartets are still well received, SO hard to make a decision if one wants just one recording.  BUT, I must say that I enjoy listening to SQs from the late 18th and early 19th centuries more, just me - Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Taras Bulba

This is the kind of recommendations where I agree with Hurwitz. A glorious and noble performance. I think the 3rd movement impressed me the most. Spectacular, epic, imposing, majestic, and that organ does participate actively in its respective moments.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

All that Sibelius 5 talk in the other thread got me in the mood...:

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.5 in E-flat major, op.82. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic

Damn, what a composer Sibelius was. This work belongs to a special category of old favorites for me which also includes Schubert's 8th (the Unfinished), Brahms's 1st, Pärt's Tabula Rasa, and Beethoven's 6th. Don't ask me why, but there's a special hidden thread connecting all these works in my mind.