What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk, Peter Power Pop and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 28, 2021, 03:27:06 PM
I've only heard this recording:

It's passable, entertaining, nice music overall, but nothing else beyond that.

I have the previous Naxos release plus a CD with her violin concertos, and felt the same. But her Piano Quintet strikes me as being quite good (on Chandos, with a quintet by Amy Beach and Barber's Dover Beach), as did a short work for violin and piano included on a recital disc by a young Chicagoan named Goolsby. [I'm tired tonight and not in the mood to track down exact names.]

So perhaps she's one of those composers who were better in chamber music than orchestral.
TD
From the Chandos Jarvi box

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2021, 01:00:55 PM
First listen today to;

I'm struggling with this.  I understand, appreciate and applaud the struggle against adversity and oppression that this music encapsulates but strip away that context and of itself its really not that good.   The symphony has some interesting moments but in the main its overscored and not a match for the vast majority of comparable music written at the time.  Even Joplin's Treemonisha (which predates it significantly) seems more 'significant' to me in its treatment of its musical roots.  But at the moment everyone seems to be queuing up to play Florence Price!  From the Proms to the Philadelpia Orchestra.  Do they hear something I'm missing or is it just a convenient "look how inclusive CM can be" thing.......

Why so much tsuris?  How is she different from our regular GMG diet of long forgotten provincial German or English composers on labels like CPO and Toccata?  They usually also have some story to pique one's interest.

I liked Price's Symphony No. 1 (Naxos) much more than I liked, for example, Ruth Gipps's Symphony No. 2.  I really tried with the Gipps (two recordings of it), but it's a snoozer.  However, I find it worthwhile and enjoyable to give forgotten music a chance.  You sometimes find forgotten gems, like the wonderful symphonies of Louise Farrenc.

Now Playing: Symphony No. 3

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on November 28, 2021, 04:15:34 PM
That set of the Rosenberg quartets is a treasure chest !

Certainly, André. I've found great pleasure in them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 28, 2021, 04:44:26 PM
It's good. For me, honestly, toe-to-toe with the Thomson, I think still better of the latter.

Oh yes, Thomson has two worthwhile quartets.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on November 28, 2021, 05:07:49 PM
I have the previous Naxos release plus a CD with her violin concertos, and felt the same. But her Piano Quintet strikes me as being quite good (on Chandos, with a quintet by Amy Beach and Barber's Dover Beach), as did a short work for violin and piano included on a recital disc by a young Chicagoan named Goolsby. [I'm tired tonight and not in the mood to track down exact names.]

So perhaps she's one of those composers who were better in chamber music than orchestral.

Very good, I'll do give a listen to the Quintet for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 6

Revisiting an old friend in a stirring performance. Mahler's most classical conception.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 28, 2021, 05:48:57 PM
Very good, I'll do give a listen to the Quintet for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

+1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

JBS

The famous Bayreuth 9th

This was one of the first LvB recordings I owned, haven't listened to it in years.
Now playing it as the last CD of this set.

I must admit that I don't remember the recording being so obviously mono. Perhaps earlier masterings tried to mimic stereo more (this set uses a 2010/2016 mastering, compared to the LP version I had in the 70s and the GROC I bought about 1995). Or perhaps my memory is fooling me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 28, 2021, 06:29:42 PM
Symphony No. 6

Revisiting an old friend in a stirring performance. Mahler's most classical conception.

Ok, not so much. I'm in the slow movement and it is not moving me.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on November 28, 2021, 05:40:57 PM

I'll have to give it a few more listens before making any judgements, but the Philadelphia Orchestra sounds great here and seems to really dig into this music.  I can report that it's written in a Depression-era populist Americana style (commissioned by the WPA), and it may be hard for modern listeners to get into the spirit of it.

Mirror Image

NP:

Shchedrin
Concerto for Orchestra No. 1, "Naughty Limericks"
USSR State SO
Svetlanov

Such raucous fun!

Linz

Mahler's Songs of Youth Janet Baker and Geoffrey Parsons

Linz

For the Advent Season Gardiner's  Bach Advent cantatas

Daverz

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on November 28, 2021, 05:40:57 PM
Why so much tsuris?  How is she different from our regular GMG diet of long forgotten provincial German or English composers on labels like CPO and Toccata?  They usually also have some story to pique one's interest.

I liked Price's Symphony No. 1 (Naxos) much more than I liked, for example, Ruth Gipps's Symphony No. 2.  I really tried with the Gipps (two recordings of it), but it's a snoozer.  However, I find it worthwhile and enjoyable to give forgotten music a chance.  You sometimes find forgotten gems, like the wonderful symphonies of Louise Farrenc.

Easy answer to your question about how she's different - she's recorded on DG by the Philadelphia and has been programmed at this year's Proms (and is popping up in lots of other orchestras' schedules for 2022!)  So COMPLETELY different to "long forgotten provincial German or English composers on labels like CPO and Toccata" many of whom could be considered of at least equal musical stature to Price and would die - if not dead already - to have that kind of exposure. 

There will always be a range of opinion within discussion groups about relative merits of composers and their works but it seems to me that the motivation behind the upsurge in interest in this music is not primarily based on its quality.  Many might argue its about redressing the balance and equality - the cynic in me sees organisations making the most of a commercial opportunity which masquerades as "redressing the balance". 

FWIW - I thought the first Naxos disc was let down by pretty average playing from the Fort Worth SO - I'm curious to hear what a difference having an ensemble the calibre of the Philadelphia makes.  The ORF Vienna on the new Naxos disc are a significant step up on Fort Worth but not top drawer.

Que

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2021, 09:32:31 AM
Totally agree. For decades it was described as 'amiable but rambling' in the Penguin Stereo Record Guide. They have a lot to answer for.

How could they say such a thing (Medications on a theme by John Blow) but you are right Jeffrey in the 1975 edition Greenfield/Layton/March they did! By the 1982 edition the same reviewers had changed their view somewhat By far the most substantial and worthwhile of these three* works is Meditations on a theme by John Blow.  :D

* Discourse for Orchestra & Overture Edinburgh.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."