What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Something wonderful happened when the two JBs (Sir John Barbirolli and Dame Janet Baker) got together, and so it does here. This is a wonderful disc, and these amongst the best versions of these orchestral songs ever recorded. If anyone ever doubted Janet Baker's genius, I would sit them down and make them listen to this CD, and in particular to their miraculously inward Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen, apparently Dame Janet's husband's favourite from all her records and I'd probably have to agree.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.3 in C major, op.52. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra

First listen. Hey, this sounds really great.

Biffo

Haydn: Symphony No 100 in G major Military -Bavarian Radio SO conducted by Mariss Jansons - my favourite Haydn symphony

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Linz on November 28, 2021, 09:23:31 PM
Mahler's Songs of Youth Janet Baker and Geoffrey Parsons

The next disc I'm playing.

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 29, 2021, 02:45:42 AM

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.3 in C major, op.52. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra

Best performance of the first movement I ever heard. This symphony's tricky for me but this recording really pulls it off.

Biffo

Bach: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland - Cantata for the 1st Sunday in Advent - Karl Richter directing the Munich Bach Choir and Orchestra & soloists. A day late!

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

CPE Bach - Various sinfonias and concertos

From the Freiburger Barockorchester Edition

Olivier

Tsaraslondon

Over the last couple of weeks I've been listening to all my Mahler discs, which has included all the symphonies.

Listening to almost exclusively Mahler over a two week period can be a rather depressing experience, so it is good to finish on this delightful disc of youthful songs with Dame Janet Baker and Geoffrey Parsons in superb form.

vandermolen

Bernstein: 'The Age of Anxiety' (Symphony No.2). I also enjoy the Bolcom Piano Concerto on this CD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Rudolf Serkin plays Beethoven: Piano Sonatas No. 21 "Waldstein", No. 23 "Appassionata", No. 24, and No. 26 "Les Adieux".

CD 6 of this set:

Harry

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 29, 2021, 02:45:42 AM

One of my favourite Sibelius cycles.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Georg Philipp Telemann.

Wind Concertos, Volume II.

La Stagione Frankfurt, Camerata Köln, Michael Schneider.

Enough said about the pristine quality of these performances.

Papy Oli

Concluding an extremely enjoyable run through the Freiburger Barockorchester Edition with a first listen to Zavateri (various concertos)

Olivier

Traverso

Purcell

Rejoice in the Lord alway,what a beautiful piece !

Harry

Georg Philippe Telemann.

The Grand concertos for mixed instruments.
CD III.

La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

One can have only admiration. Certainly the best Telemann I have heard in my life.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2021, 01:42:27 PM
Yes indeed - although to be fair its a "lucky" piece on disc - I can't think of a single version that isn't good;

Ringold/CBSO/Lyrita
Handley/CBSO/EMI
Lloyd-Jones/Bournemouth SO/Naxos
Wordsworth/RPO/Argo
Groves/RLPO/BBC Legends

as well as the newest/Chandos version you mention......

Thanks for the feedback!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ritter

Debussy's Le Martyre de Saint-Sébastien, conducted by Ernest Ansermet (and with Suzanne Danco among the vocal soloists). CD 3 of this set:

This is by no means my favourite recording (not that it is bad, but many of the Ansermet recording from Geneva have a strange sound picture, and the choral contributions are not really world class), but has the advantage that it has most of the music, and nothing but the music (i.e. there's no actors or reciter). For casual listening, therefore, it's particularly effective (I'm at the office while I write this).

EDIT: it's not that the "choral contributions are not really world class"...they're dismal!  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Enjoying a happy reunion with Jean Sibelius' Symphony No. 5 this time with Sir Alexander Gibson and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra as part of a Chandos boxed set of Sibelius' symphonies.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Disc 3. Haydn's melodic inventiveness and range of moods is simply miraculous.

Ditto.

Every now and then I try to rekindle some love for Beethoven.

This series is consistenly great both sonically and musically.

An excellent disc. He deserves his prize and praise in spades. Hat tip to Andre.

Sensitive performance of these works which are like autumn leaves fluttering for a moment in the wind then gently falling to the ground. Their delicate, fragile and transient beauty can not be further removed from the ugly and aggressive times we live in.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

CD 5:
Brahms

String Quartet № 3 in Bb, Op. 67
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot