What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka, Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2021, 05:55:05 AM

Disc 3. Haydn's melodic inventiveness and range of moods is simply miraculous.

Ditto.

Every now and then I try to rekindle some love for Beethoven.

This series is consistenly great both sonically and musically.

An excellent disc. He deserves his prize and praise in spades. Hat tip to Andre.

Sensitive performance of these works which are like autumn leaves fluttering for a moment in the wind then gently falling to the ground. Their delicate, fragile and transient beauty can not be further removed from the ugly and aggressive times we live in.

Hi Andrei,I see that you have the Haydn Scottish and Welsh songs,are you familiar with the Beethoven arrangements?  :)

Mirror Image

Some English music for me as well...

NP:

Elgar

Serenade for Strings, Op. 20
ASMF
Neville Marriner

Symphony No. 1 in A flat major, Op. 55
LPO
Solti

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on November 29, 2021, 06:16:20 AM
Hi Andrei,I see that you have the Haydn Scottish and Welsh songs,are you familiar with the Beethoven arrangements?  :)

I have the whole DG Complete Works and I think I've listened to a few of them but I never explored them systematically. I assume they are every bit as good as Haydn's and I'll certainly listen to them all in the future. Maybe even soon.

Btw, one Beethoven song which enjoyed a lot recently is Una paloma. I didn't even know he composed such a thing but it's utterly charming and the Spanish flavor is unmistakable.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Holmboe Chamber Concerto, No. 7.

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2021, 06:32:07 AM
I have the whole DG Complete Works and I think I've listened to a few of them but I never explored them systematically. I assume they are every bit as good as Haydn's and I'll certainly listen to them all in the future. Maybe even soon.

Btw, one Beethoven song which enjoyed a lot recently is Una paloma. I didn't even know he composed such a thing but it's utterly charming and the Spanish flavor is unmistakable.

There are many  nice songs in the Beethoven box,the performances of both sets is first class  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on November 29, 2021, 06:41:02 AM
There are many  nice songs in the Beethoven box

Good to know. Tbh, I prefer his piano / chamber music and lesser known works to the symphonies and concertos.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 29, 2021, 12:57:57 AM
How could they say such a thing (Medications on a theme by John Blow) but you are right Jeffrey in the 1975 edition Greenfield/Layton/March they did! By the 1982 edition the same reviewers had changed their view somewhat By far the most substantial and worthwhile of these three* works is Meditations on a theme by John Blow.  :D

* Discourse for Orchestra & Overture Edinburgh.
Good research there Lol! I like the Edinburgh Overture.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

SonicMan46

Dave's eclectic 'performer oriented' collection - yesterday and this morning:

Julian Bream - Granados & Albéniz - wonderful performances; now I do have more Bream but likely under individual composers.
Peter Blanchette & Virtual Consort w/ Blanchette on reproduction archguitars (can't remember if in the 'old instruments' thread?).
Munir Beken and August Denhard on ud and lute, respectively playing medieval and renaissance music.
Colin Lawson & Michael Harris on clarinet and basset horn; Peter Holman on fortepiano - British clarinet concertos.
Elaine Elias - On the Classical Side, an early recording (1992-93) - have not really followed her career.  Dave :)

vandermolen

First (and second) listen to Robert Ward's chamber music. A most enjoyable experience - lyrical and approachable music:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 05:37:59 AM
Enjoying a happy reunion with Jean Sibelius' Symphony No. 5 this time with Sir Alexander Gibson and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra as part of a Chandos boxed set of Sibelius' symphonies.

PD

I would very much like to own that set, PD. My introduction to the composer (2nd) and have not heard it bettered since. Gibson was also to record Sibelius later for Collins Classics but they are even less available at present.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2021, 05:55:05 AM

Disc 3. Haydn's melodic inventiveness and range of moods is simply miraculous.

Lovely settings indeed (as are the Beethoven ones mentioned by Traverso).

Not to belittle the greatness of good old Papa Haydn, but I would presume that in this specific instance, most of the melodic inventiveness should be credited to the good people of Scotland and Wales ;D.

Good evening, Andrei!

EDIT: Just listened to LvB's arrangement of Una paloma blanca that you mentioned (which I didn't even know existed). Lovely indeed (sounds almost like Boccherini). Thanks for drawing our attention to it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 29, 2021, 07:13:12 AM
I would very much like to own that set, PD. My introduction to the composer (2nd) and have not heard it bettered since. Gibson was also to record Sibelius later for Collins Classics but they are even less available at present.
Sorry to see that the set that I own is going for fairly "stupid" prices at the moment.   :( I had purchased mine used probably 10+ years ago after getting some recommendations for it.  I managed to get a used copy of it at a reasonable price back then.  Keep your eyes open!

Have you heard any of his recordings of the tone poems Irons?  If so, how did you find them to be?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 29, 2021, 07:14:31 AM
Lovely settings indeed (as are the Beethoven ones mentioned by Traverso).

Not to belittle the greatness of good old Papa Haydn, but I would presume that in this specific instance, most of the melodic inventiveness should be credited to the good people of Scotland and Wales ;D.

Good evening, Andrei!

EDIT: Just listened to LvB's arrangement of Una paloma blanca that you mentioned (which I didn't even know existed). Lovely indeed (sounds almost like Boccherini). Thanks for drawing our attention to it!

Good evening, Rafael. You're welcome. Actually, Beethoven has several other Spanish folksong settings, not just that one.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2021, 07:36:13 AM
Good evening, Rafael. You're welcome. Actually, Beethoven has several other Spanish folksong settings, not just that one.
Yes, saw that (and I should have them in the big Brilliant Classics box, so I'll listen to them soon)...

But, unfortunately, he didn't do Macarena... :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on November 29, 2021, 07:39:04 AM
Yes, saw that (and I should have them in the big Brilliant Classics box, so I'll listen to them soon)...

Boooo! lol

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 29, 2021, 07:39:04 AM

I'm sure that if he had taken to it, the result woud have been just as delightful as Una paloma blanca.

André

It's hard to imagine a duller, greyer art cover than this. But the music on the disc is absolutely first class. The two main items are the fiddle concertos, one for violin, one for viola, of about the same length. Both play to their instrument's most expressive tonal qualities, with superbly singing lines. Though they are dark in content and intent, I found the music extremely engrossing. Frankel is known to have composed a string of symphonies using dodecaphonism in the latter part of his career, these two concertos are anything but thorny. The last work is a piano trio and strings concertante work. It's more spiky in manner and jolly in tone. This is a superb disc.

Traverso