Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1914558 times)

SimonNZ and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #55000 on: November 29, 2021, 08:58:38 AM »
Yes, saw that (and I should have them in the big Brilliant Classics box, so I'll listen to them soon)...

But, unfortunately, he didn't do Macarena... :D
Boooo! lol

PD

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #55001 on: November 29, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »
Yes, saw that (and I should have them in the big Brilliant Classics box, so I'll listen to them soon)...

But, unfortunately, he didn't do Macarena... :D

I'm sure that if he had taken to it, the result woud have been just as delightful as Una paloma blanca.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #55002 on: November 29, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »

It’s hard to imagine a duller, greyer art cover than this. But the music on the disc is absolutely first class. The two main items are the fiddle concertos, one for violin, one for viola, of about the same length. Both play to their instrument’s most expressive tonal qualities, with superbly singing lines. Though they are dark in content and intent, I found the music extremely engrossing. Frankel is known to have composed a string of symphonies using dodecaphonism in the latter part of his career, these two concertos are anything but thorny. The last work is a piano trio and strings concertante work. It’s more spiky in manner and jolly in tone. This is a superb disc.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #55003 on: November 29, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
Ballet Gala

CD 1

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #55004 on: November 29, 2021, 09:24:26 AM »

It’s hard to imagine a duller, greyer art cover than this. But the music on the disc is absolutely first class. The two main items are the fiddle concertos, one for violin, one for viola, of about the same length. Both play to their instrument’s most expressive tonal qualities, with superbly singing lines. Though they are dark in content and intent, I found the music extremely engrossing. Frankel is known to have composed a string of symphonies using dodecaphonism in the latter part of his career, these two concertos are anything but thorny. The last work is a piano trio and strings concertante work. It’s more spiky in manner and jolly in tone. This is a superb disc.

Absolutely!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #55005 on: November 29, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
Ballet Gala

CD 1

The best Ballet box one could wish for!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #55006 on: November 29, 2021, 09:35:21 AM »
Such an appropriately seductive, atmospheric work. A shame it wasn't included in Chandos' Glière survey, because it really calls for a top-notch performance and sound.

Yes, very atmospheric. Before you replied, I was looking for another of Glière's The Sirens, but it looks like all that exists is an old Russian broadcast. Most unfortunate.

VS
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

• Veteran member
« Reply #55007 on: November 29, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
Shostakovich's Piano Quintet with the Borodin Trio with Mimi Zweig and Jerry Horner on Chandos.  A particularly poignant intermezzo.  Fascinating, well-written liner notes by Robert Layton and wonderfully recorded.

PD

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #55008 on: November 29, 2021, 09:47:51 AM »
Shostakovich's Piano Quintet with the Borodin Trio with Mimi Zweig and Jerry Horner on Chandos.  A particularly poignant intermezzo.  Fascinating, well-written liner notes by Robert Layton and wonderfully recorded.

PD

Such a great piece! I love Shostakovich symphonies (most all of them), and his operas, but sometimes I think his real legacy is his chamber music.

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #55009 on: November 29, 2021, 09:53:18 AM »
The best Ballet box one could wish for!

It is also a very nice box to look at. :)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #55010 on: November 29, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »

Anyone listening to this CD blind would, I'm sure, guess correctly that the music emanated from the late nineteenth century. I doubt very much though that they would guess the composer was Italian. The music seems to owe a lot more to Schumann and Brahms than it does to anyone else, Brahms in particular.

Excellent performances of some rather gorgeous music by the Italian Giuseppe Martucci.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #55011 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:39 AM »
NP:

Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23
Gilels
New Philharmonia
Maazel

"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

• Veteran member
« Reply #55012 on: November 29, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »
Such a great piece! I love Shostakovich symphonies (most all of them), and his operas, but sometimes I think his real legacy is his chamber music.

--Bruce
I've been meaning to revisit his quartets (been a while).  I found the liner notes to be particularly helpful in trying to better understand what all was and had been going on in the Soviet Union during that time and getting a small sense of what the atmosphere was like and what people were feeling and experiencing then.

NP:

Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23
Gilels
New Philharmonia
Maazel

Good choice!  :)

PD

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #55013 on: November 29, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »
Good choice!  :)

PD

Indeed. 8) Quite a good performance.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #55014 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
Caecilia-Concert - boy, completely forgot about having these three CDs!  The group's website HERE; built around a trio of members (Adam Woolf on trombone, Wouter Verschuren on dulcian, and Kathryn Cok on keyboards, i.e. harpsichord and organ) w/ additional performers added when needed.  They specialize in 17th century music for instruments and voice at times - a nice change of pace!  8)  Dave

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #55015 on: November 29, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »

PD

Great piece! (As you know)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #55016 on: November 29, 2021, 10:37:49 AM »
I've been meaning to revisit his quartets (been a while).  I found the liner notes to be particularly helpful in trying to better understand what all was and had been going on in the Soviet Union during that time and getting a small sense of what the atmosphere was like and what people were feeling and experiencing then.

Yes. Sometimes I marvel that he was able to write anything at all -- never mind works of such magnificence -- given the difficulties.

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #55017 on: November 29, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
Schubert
String Quartet in Bb, D 18
Wiener Konzerthausquartett

And—goosebumps—

CD 15:

Alexei Haieff
String Quartet № 1 (1951)

Samuel Barber
Hermit Songs, Op. 29

Leontyne Price, sop
The Composer, pf
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #55018 on: November 29, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Good research there Lol! I like the Edinburgh Overture.

I need to add the Discourse and the Edinburgh Overture to my Bliss traversal!

PD

--Bruce

Great piece! (As you know)

I'm not nearly as familiar with Shostakovich's non-string quartet chamber music as I'd like to be... sounds like the Piano Quintet is a good place to start! I do remember hearing the late (is it the last piece he completed before he died?) Viola Sonata and being moved by it.

Thread Duty: more Bliss!

Arthur Bliss
Adam Zero (complete ballet)
English Northern Philharmonia
David Lloyd-Jones

This time with a full score (available on Nkoda.) My first impression was upheld - this is an innovative, imaginative, brilliantly orchestrated score!

Also, the discmates to the "Meditations on a Theme by John Blow":

Arthur Bliss
The Enchantress
Mary of Magdala
Dame Sarah Connolly, mezzo-soprano
James Platt, bass
BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Sir Andrew Davis

(on Spotify)

Bliss's style is fully evident in his choral and vocal music as well; I was almost reminded of Samuel Barber in these pieces, in a way I wasn't with the orchestral music. Maybe it's his way with setting the English language? I'm not entirely sure. Connolly is excellent in both works, as is the BBC Chorus in "Mary of Magdala". About my only reservation is with the bass soloist (also in "Mary") - something about the quality of his voice is distinctly unappealing. But he has such a small role that it's not a huge deal.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #55019 on: November 29, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »

Pierné deserves more exposure, but this is only partly successful. Superior sound quality and characterful solo playing by various instrumental leaders, but the climaxes of Cydalise suffer from rather sloppy ensemble playing, especially violins that struggle to hit the right notes. In general this sounds underrehearsed. Plus, of course, you're only getting the suites, not complete works. For Ramuntcho, the Chandos recording has more polish although it's a bit slower at times, and for Cydalise, the Luxembourg/Shallon complete disc offers more realistic, less analytical recorded sound and a truly epic soundworld...and completeness.

The disc was recorded in October 2015 and released in October 2021, an unusual delay for Naxos. I wonder if they initially decided against releasing it, then changed their minds when COVID created lots of gaps in the release calendar.