What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan, Irons, Harry and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 11:55:44 AM
Thank you, if I see it here somewhere, I'll probably buy it. Regarding Anda, I've got the Mozart concertos set, and the Bartok concertante works set with Fricsay, both on DG CDs. Also a fine, different Bartok 2nd Concerto with Fricsay (1952) on the Praga label.

Plus on DG LP, the 'Diabelli Variations', the Grieg/Schumann Piano Concertos with Kubelik, and some Schumann on DG (Davidsbundlertanze, Symphonic Etudes, Kreisleriana, Fantasia in C), and on Angel (Carnival, Kreisleriana); his Schumann surely tends to be good.

And also the Liszt Sonata + some smaller pieces, on Angel LP ...

Possibly more as well ... but no Schubert!
That Praga CD sounds tempting!  They normally do a good job re sound.  Is this a live recording?  I'll try and do some more digging around in LPs (not the easiest setup to try and thumb through them (no partitions alas and a lot of it is at ground level  :(  ).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 12:16:52 PM
That Praga CD sounds tempting!  They normally do a good job re sound.  Is this a live recording?  I'll try and do some more digging around in LPs (not the easiest setup to try and thumb through them (no partitions alas and a lot of it is at ground level  :(  ).

PD

Yes, live recordings, but it's very temperamental, and the whole disc is very good.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Oct14/Bartok_PC2_PRD350108.htm

http://www.pragadigitals.com/epages/265941.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/265941/Products/350108

ritter

Cross-posted from the opera sub-forum:

Quote from: ritter on November 29, 2021, 12:19:12 PM
Another vintage opera recording tonight chez ritter (ordered last week from melomania in Paris, and landed today  :)).

This recording of L'Heure espagnole is possibly the first ever made of Ravel's "other" opera (it's never had the success of L'Enfant et les sortilèges, but IMHO is a wonderful work in itself). It was made live in concert in wartime (but post-liberation) Paris —December 1944—, soon after Manuel Rosenthal returned to conducting the Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Française. What a wonderful conductor of Ravel this man was (his set of the orchestral works with the orchestra of the Opéra, from the late 50s, is among my favourites). Concepción is the delightful Geori Boué, and the rest of the cast is unknown to me (except for Roger Bourdin), but they are all excellent, and the diction is crystal-clear, making this the conversation piece it should be. The sound is remarkably good for the age of the recording.

The booklet has a lengthy and very interesting discussion between Rosenthal and musicologist (and Ravel biographer) Maurice Marnat.

I now realise this is the fifth recording of the work (I already had Leibowitz, Ansermet, Maazel, and Maderna), but rarely have I enjoyed it as much as this time.

Linz

I am listening to Disc 1 of this set

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 12:20:50 PM
Yes, live recordings, but it's very temperamental, and the whole disc is very good.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Oct14/Bartok_PC2_PRD350108.htm

http://www.pragadigitals.com/epages/265941.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/265941/Products/350108
Interesting!  So it was a recreation of an earlier concert using various live recordings?  Thank you so much for the links!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

You're welcome - yes; I didn't make a concise comparison with Anda/Fricsay's later DG version of the 2nd Concerto, though.

ritter

Well, L'Heure espagnole went by in a flash, so on to more Ravel under Manuel Rosenthal: Pavane pour une infante défunte, Menuet antique and Le Tombeau de Couperin (with the Orchestre du Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris).

CD5 of this treasure trove of a set:

EDIT: Man, I really, really love Le Tombeau de Couperin (both the piano and orchestral versions). One of my favourite compositions by anyone, in any genre, from any period.  :). And this performance is fantastic...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 12:39:54 PM
You're welcome - yes; I didn't make a concise comparison with Anda/Fricsay's later DG version of the 2nd Concerto, though.
That's o.k.!  I'm afraid that I'm keeping you up late though!

Sweet dreams,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

English Music for Viola.

Superb. Imaginative programming dispels any sameness worries of a CD worth with a single instrument plus piano. The Vaughan Williams, Bax and Clarke (sonata) are self-recommending and require no advocacy from me. I also enjoyed immensely tracks 3, 6 & 8. Grainger over Britten must be a first! The Britten piece was the only one that didn't work for me, that is not to say it will not do so after some more plays.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 07:23:34 AM
Sorry to see that the set that I own is going for fairly "stupid" prices at the moment.   :( I had purchased mine used probably 10+ years ago after getting some recommendations for it.  I managed to get a used copy of it at a reasonable price back then.  Keep your eyes open!

Have you heard any of his recordings of the tone poems Irons?  If so, how did you find them to be?

PD

One will turn up, they always do.

I very much like "The Bard".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

I have 5 discs of McCabe's music - concertos, symphonies, chamber music, ballet - and although I find every one of them very intereting, there's nothing that really grabs me. The music is superbly crafted, but I don't detect a heart beating behind the notes. Lots of neuronal activity, but no emotion I can relate to.

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 11:55:44 AM
Thank you, if I see it here somewhere, I'll probably buy it. Regarding Anda, I've got the Mozart concertos set, and the Bartok concertante works set with Fricsay, both on DG CDs. Also a fine, different Bartok 2nd Concerto with Fricsay (1952) on the Praga label.

Plus on DG LP, the 'Diabelli Variations', the Grieg/Schumann Piano Concertos with Kubelik, and some Schumann on DG (Davidsbundlertanze, Symphonic Etudes, Kreisleriana, Fantasia in C), and on Angel (Carnival, Kreisleriana); his Schumann surely tends to be good.

And also the Liszt Sonata + some smaller pieces, on Angel LP ...

Possibly more as well ... but no Schubert!

There's also a different recording of the Bartok First Concerto released on DG, conducted by Karajan, recorded in concert during the Salzburg Festival.

TD
Been so long since I last heard this, it's almost a first listen, and I'm puzzled why I found it "dreary" on those earlier listens. It's not best-of-class, but it's a fairly good performance. [And I ordered her DBT recording this afternoon.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

"Papa"
String Quartet in f minor, Op. 20 № 5, Hob III:35
String Quartet in D, Op. 33 № 3, Hob III:42

Jerusalem Quartet

And the conclusion of an outstanding box:

CD 16

Lukas Foss
String Quartet № 1 in G (1947)

American Art Quartet

Wm Bergsma
String Quartet № 3 (1956)

Juilliard String Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 12:06:25 PM
Playing yet again:

Tchaikovsky
Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23
Gilels
New Philharmonia
Maazel

The recording I'm listening to is actually the 2-CD hybrid SACD set released in conjunction with Warner and Tower Records. I own several of these recordings and have been thrilled by the sonics on all of what I've heard so far.

Do I need another Tchaikovsky PC No.1, probably not, but I think I need this  ;D

Mirror Image

NP:

Gershwin
Porgy & Bess, Symphonic Suite
Second Rhapsody
Cuban Overture

Cristina Ortiz, piano (in Second Rhapsody)
LSO
Previn

prémont

Quote from: JBS on November 29, 2021, 01:50:11 PM
There's also a different recording of the Bartok First Concerto released on DG, conducted by Karajan, recorded in concert during the Salzburg Festival.

There are some more live recordings of Bartok concerti with Anda - other than no 2 with Fricsay and Karajan.

1 - 3 with Bour
1 with Gielen
2 with Müller-Kray
3 with Karajan

Of the ones I have heard (the ones with Fricsay, Bour and Gielen) I still find the DG studio recordings to be the most satisfying.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 29, 2021, 02:41:24 PM
Do I need another Tchaikovsky PC No.1, probably not, but I think I need this  ;D

If you haven't heard this performance then, yes, yes you do. :)

Mirror Image

And now for a double-shot of Salonen's Sibelius in LA:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Linz on November 29, 2021, 12:27:50 PM
I am listening to Disc 1 of this set
oh, nice!  Looking forward to hearing your comments!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
String Quartet in Bb, K. 458
Jerusalem Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot