What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 29, 2021, 10:22:30 AM
I need to add the Discourse and the Edinburgh Overture to my Bliss traversal!

I'm not nearly as familiar with Shostakovich's non-string quartet chamber music as I'd like to be... sounds like the Piano Quintet is a good place to start! I do remember hearing the late (is it the last piece he completed before he died?) Viola Sonata and being moved by it.

Thread Duty: more Bliss!

Arthur Bliss
Adam Zero (complete ballet)
English Northern Philharmonia
David Lloyd-Jones

This time with a full score (available on Nkoda.) My first impression was upheld - this is an innovative, imaginative, brilliantly orchestrated score!

Also, the discmates to the "Meditations on a Theme by John Blow":

Arthur Bliss
The Enchantress
Mary of Magdala
Dame Sarah Connolly, mezzo-soprano
James Platt, bass
BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Sir Andrew Davis

(on Spotify)

Bliss's style is fully evident in his choral and vocal music as well; I was almost reminded of Samuel Barber in these pieces, in a way I wasn't with the orchestral music. Maybe it's his way with setting the English language? I'm not entirely sure. Connolly is excellent in both works, as is the BBC Chorus in "Mary of Magdala". About my only reservation is with the bass soloist (also in "Mary") - something about the quality of his voice is distinctly unappealing. But he has such a small role that it's not a huge deal.
You must hear 'Morning Heroes' - a big choral symphony if you don't already know it and the exquisite Oboe Quintet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

CD 2:
Dvorak Symphonic Variations/Symphony no. 6
Czech Philharmonic

[Of the 6 CDs in this set, 5 are devoted to Dvorak. Smetana is represented here only by Ma Vlast.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
String Quartet in Bb, K. 589
Jerusalem Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Now Tennstedt with Mahler 7th from discs 15 and 16

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 29, 2021, 02:41:24 PM
Do I need another Tchaikovsky PC No.1, probably not, but I think I need this  ;D

Originally released as an LP twofer. I bought it at the time and was slightly disappointed with PC1 at first (didn't find it barnstorming enough IIRC). And yet it eventually became one of my favourite performances. Great flair and a beautiful line.

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2021, 03:35:03 PM
You must hear 'Morning Heroes' - a big choral symphony if you don't already know it and the exquisite Oboe Quintet.

Thank you so much for the recommendations, Jeffrey! I look forward to listening to both works. I see 'Morning Heroes' was written as a requiem to those who died fighting in World War I, including Bliss's own brother.

Thread duty:

Shostakovich
Piano quintet*
Piano trio no. 2
Beaux Arts Trio
* with Eugene Drucker, violin, and Lawrence Dutton, viola
(on Spotify)

Impressive, formidable works; the finale of the Piano Quintet reminded me of the same movement in the 8th Symphony. And the Piano Trio, in spots, is Shostakovich at his most bleak and desolate. I couldn't help but think how these works would sound arranged for full orchestra!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

And now for two back-to-back late Shostakovich symphonies: the 13th and 14th from these recordings -

Absolutely incredible pieces through and through. Both performances are spine-tingling and hair-raising in their aural assaults. But, also, appropriately eerie when the music calls for it and late Shostakovich wouldn't be himself if there wasn't some of this trademark spookiness.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2021, 02:25:00 PM
"Papa"
String Quartet in f minor, Op. 20 № 5, Hob III:35
String Quartet in D, Op. 33 № 3, Hob III:42

Jerusalem Quartet

And the conclusion of an outstanding box:

CD 16

Lukas Foss
String Quartet № 1 in G (1947)

American Art Quartet

Wm Bergsma
String Quartet № 3 (1956)

Juilliard String Quartet

Part of me wants to go right back and listen through the box again. I like the Foss a great deal. Was the Bergsma meandering, or was I inattentive? unfinished business for next time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2021, 05:02:27 PM
Part of me wants to go right back and listen through the box again. I like the Foss a great deal. Was the Bergsma meandering, or was I inattentive? unfinished business for next time.

I half remember the Bergsma as being less interesting than the Foss.
Perhaps it's better judged in isolation from its discmate?

TD
From the Chandos box

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Now playing the 5th and Clarinet Concerto from these recordings -

Bernstein was in his element in Nielsen just as much as he was Sibelius. The story about Bernstein showing up in Copenhagen and conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra on their home turf and playing their national musical hero at the time must have been thrilling. For my money, Lenny outclasses everyone in these two symphonies, especially the Danish conductors. Sorry, but not sorry for saying this! :)

P. S. I'm sure this post will get a table-pounding from Cesar. ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on November 29, 2021, 05:31:17 PM
I half remember the Bergsma as being less interesting than the Foss.
Perhaps it's better judged in isolation from its discmate?

You may be right, at that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Prokofiev
Le pas d'acier, Op. 41
WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln
Michail Jurowski

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Delius
A Song of the High Hills
Peter Hoare (tenor), Rebecca Evans (soprano)
Chorus of the Welsh National Opera, Orchestra of the Welsh National Opera
Mackerras

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 29, 2021, 04:01:45 PM
Thank you so much for the recommendations, Jeffrey! I look forward to listening to both works. I see 'Morning Heroes' was written as a requiem to those who died fighting in World War I, including Bliss's own brother.

Thread duty:

Shostakovich
Piano quintet*
Piano trio no. 2
Beaux Arts Trio
(on Spotify)

Impressive, formidable works; the finale of the Piano Quintet reminded me of the same movement in the 8th Symphony. And the Piano Trio, in spots, is Shostakovich at his most bleak and desolate. I couldn't help but think how these works would sound arranged for full orchestra!
My pleasure James!
You are right about Morning Heroes. There's a new recording on Chandos with Andrew Davis. It's very good apart from the climax of the last movement (the return of the 'canon fire' from the Somme) which is really puny compared to the Charles Groves performance. On the Chandos version you get the moving 'Hymn to Apollo' thrown in as well, which the booklet note links (convincingly I think) to Bliss's trauma over the loss of his much-loved brother in the First World War.

PS I remember that Shostakovich Piano Quintet CD being a No.1 choice in a survey some years ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 29, 2021, 04:01:45 PM

Thread duty:

Shostakovich
Piano quintet*
Piano trio no. 2
Beaux Arts Trio
(on Spotify)

Although composed much later his brother's death was the inspiration for the moving Bliss Cello Concerto. Not a common held view but I rate this work higher then the more famous concertos for piano and violin.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 29, 2021, 11:56:25 PM
Although composed much later his brother's death was the inspiration for the moving Bliss Cello Concerto. Not a common held view but I rate this work higher then the more famous concertos for piano and violin.
Interesting Lol. I like the Cello Concerto as well. I think Bliss originally called it a 'Concertino' but Britten questioned the diminutive title and persuaded Bliss to change it to the more appropriate 'Concerto'.

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Organ Works, Volume VII.
BWV 545,529 & 651-661, (Leipziger chorale)

Ewald Kooiman plays on a Johann Andreas Silbermann organ 1778, Bouxwiller, Temple Protestant, France.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Valentino

Telling you what I'm listening to for the first time in more that ten years. Have just reintroduced myself over at the thread where such things are done.

Got my stereo fixed up and running and browsing my music library I landed on Mendelsohn's incidental music to A Midsummer Nights Dream (yes, that war horse, I apologize) and pressed play:

Claus Peter Flor with Bamberg on RCA and it sounded like coming out of a sock. Ever so unengaging. Why did I ever buy that?
Had a look at the playlist. It turned out there was three recordings in it (I use LMS/Squeezebox). The second was Levine with Chicago on DG, but my head went curly hair and meetoo so I skipped that one.

I was saved by Kubelik with Bavarian RSO and Chorus on DG.

Very happy to see that you are here, Harry.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Harry

Quote from: Valentino on November 30, 2021, 12:24:33 AM
Telling you what I'm listening to for the first time in more that ten years. Have just reintroduced myself over at the thread where such things are done.

Got my stereo fixed up and running and browsing my music library I landed on Mendelsohn's incidental music to A Midsummer Nights Dream (yes, that war horse, I apologize) and pressed play:

Claus Peter Flor with Bamberg on RCA and it sounded like coming out of a sock. Ever so unengaging. Why did I ever buy that?
Had a look at the playlist. It turned out there was three recordings in it (I use LMS/Squeezebox). The second was Levine with Chicago on DG, but my head went curly hair and meetoo so I skipped that one.

I was saved by Kubelik with Bavarian RSO and Chorus on DG.

Very happy to see that you are here, Harry.

Well I had plenty of doubts over the years, but eventually decided to stay. And I am happy to see you re-emerging, and hope you will find your way again on GMG.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique (Gardiner)

Olivier