What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2021, 04:58:12 PM
I'm definitely a fan. In London I saw him do very memorable concerts including Tchaikovsky 5 (the one on the LPO label), Zemlinsky Lyric Symphony, Brahms 4 (also released), and Des Knaben Wunderhorn.

Excellent! You're quite a fortunate person to have seen so many fantastic concerts. You remind me, I need to get around to ripping this set to my computer:

VonStupp

If you dare.

https://www.youtube.com/v/IuexxtDGo5c&ab_channel=ear8002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuexxtDGo5c

https://www.youtube.com/v/31oAcmBz044&ab_channel=AndrewLloydWebberMusicals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31oAcmBz044

Quote from: VonStupp on November 30, 2021, 03:30:32 PM
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Requiem

Sarah Brightman, Placido Domingo, Paul Miles-Kingston (treble)
Winchester Cathedral Choir
English Chamber Orchestra - Lorin Maazel

Does anyone listen to this thing anymore???

For as populous as I remember ALW's Requiem being, he is very free with dissonance, and it took my by surprise. I don't think the 80's musical theatre crowd would be happy with that aspect at least.

Only Domingo's Hosanna (complete with electronic drums) and Brightman's Pie Jesu were particularly cloying and jazz-hand worthy, but I think these are the selections that drew audiences to this album.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

classicalgeek

Jean Martinon
Symphony no. 3 'Irlandaise'
Orchestre National de l'ORTF
Pierre Michel Le Conte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYqAwv5DMsk

I'm guessing this was taken from a concert performance - there's audience noise, and it's a "rough around the edges" type of performance. The symphony doesn't strike me as particularly Irish (I'm not sure how it got its nickname); it's acerbic, harshly dissonant music, imaginatively orchestrated, but it didn't strike me as all that special on first listen. No doubt a more well-rehearsed orchestra would have improved my impression of the piece. Still, I can appreciate Martinon's talent as both a composer and a conductor.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 05:05:59 PM
Excellent! You're quite a fortunate person to have seen so many fantastic concerts. You remind me, I need to get around to ripping this set to my computer:

I just looked at the contents of that box set - and there's some really unusual repertoire on there! Jurowski must have put together some imaginative programs over the years...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 06:08:18 PM
I just looked at the contents of that box set - and there's some really unusual repertoire on there! Jurowski must have put together some imaginative programs over the years...

Indeed. Loads of great works in this set.

Mirror Image

NP:

Falla
Noches en los jardines de España
Clara Haskil, piano
Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux

El amor brujo
Ines Rivadeneyra, contralto
Spanish R.T.V. Symphony Orchestra
Markevitch

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 30, 2021, 02:13:31 PM
Years ago, Isbin made several appearances in my home town and we saw her live - probably bought most of my 3 CDs (two added below which are in my non-classical collection database) back then.  As quoted below, she has become quite famous and I need to look on Amazon to maybe add a few more of her recordings - any comments and recommendations from others appreciated.  Dave :)

I envy you! 
Yes, these albums are wonderful.
For my personal liking, it seems to me that her Nightshade Rounds is an exceptional album.
American Landscapes is an interesting album as well.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 06:56:11 PM
NP:

Falla
Noches en los jardines de España
Clara Haskil, piano
Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux

El amor brujo
Ines Rivadeneyra, contralto
Spanish R.T.V. Symphony Orchestra
Markevitch

Killer album!!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 30, 2021, 07:07:29 PM
Killer album!!!

Absolutely! I ripped the recordings I wanted out of the Markevitch Philips set I received today and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them all.

bhodges

Quote from: VonStupp on November 30, 2021, 05:40:45 PM
If you dare.

;D

I'm not sure that I do, but I admire your fortitude.

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 07:08:56 PM
Absolutely! I ripped the recordings I wanted out of the Markevitch Philips set I received today and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing them all.

I think Markevitch's Carmen Suite is Hurwitz's favorite or second favorite recording.

bhodges

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 30, 2021, 07:05:25 PM
For my personal liking, it seems to me that her Nightshade Rounds is an exceptional album.

Another vote for Nightshade Rounds, one of my favorite guitar recordings. Hadn't seen this Gramophone review, and though I like the Britten more than this writer, it's a good assessment.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/nightshade-rounds

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on November 30, 2021, 07:28:12 PM
;D

I'm not sure that I do, but I admire your fortitude.

--Bruce

As for me, what I've already heard of that Requiem is quite enough, thank you very much 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 07:38:17 PM
As for me, what I've already heard of that Requiem is quite enough, thank you very much 8)

;D

(To be fair, I should at least give one of those clips a few minutes. But it sounds like a pursuit destined for disappointment.)

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 30, 2021, 07:32:38 PM
I think Markevitch's Carmen Suite is Hurwitz's favorite or second favorite recording.

This Bizet is one I ripped and I'm looking forward to hearing it as I'm not too terribly familiar with his music. You just had to bring up Hurwitz, didn't you? ;D His voice and mannerisms are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Last work of the night:

Mahler
Symphony No. 2 in C minor
Helen Watts, Heather Harper
London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Solti

Valentino

Starting today with some Cypresses by Dvorak. Hagen-Quartett behind a concrete staircase railing.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 03:47:30 PM
Bliss
Cello concerto
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow
Robert Cohen, cello
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Barry Wordsworth

(on Spotify)

The Cello Concerto certainly contains some lovely music; I hear some echoes of Elgar's Cello Concerto, and I'm thinking Bliss used that as a model. It didn't really "stick with me" on first hearing, but I do want to listen again. I wanted a chance to hear the Meditations in a different performance, and I think I prefer the Andrew Davis recording, even though Wordsworth is just fine. I think there's a little more polish to the playing in Davis's recording, though I do like Wordsworth's "sheep bells" ;D better.
That's one of my favourite Bliss CDs James - a very nice programme of fine performances. I agree about the sheep bells! Hugo Rignold's Lyrita performance is my favourite version (with the CBSO for whom the work was written) but I think that the Meditations on a Theme by John Blow has been well served on disc and I have enjoyed every recording of it, especially the new Andrew Davis performance.
+1 for Alfvén's 4th Symphony too.
This is my favourite recording of it:

Early morning listening - Bliss 'Introduction and Allegro'. This double CD set (which includes the Wordsworth disc) includes two versions of Introduction and Allegro - one conducted by Bliss himself:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Finn Mortensen Symphony No.1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

Cross posted from the opera thread.

Cavalleria Rusticana is the opera that first turned me on to opera as a teenager. My parents had the Varviso recording with Souliotis, Del Monaco and Gobbi and my father also owned the piano score. I listened to it over and over again and would also spend hours playing the music on the piano. Mind you, even back then I recognised that Del Monaco was a bit shouty, and Di Stefano made a better impression on me when I finally heard the Callas recording.

Of course it is now known that Callas was never scheduled to record Santuzza, that the originally scheduled mezzo was indisposed and Callas, having sung the role in Greece, stepped into her shoes. We should be thankful that she did, because, though she never sang the role again, Santuzza is one of her greatest recorded roles. She is also surrounded by a terrific cast, right down to the flirtatiously bitchy Lola of Anna Maria Canali, who helps turn Lola and Santuzza's brief confrontation into a mini bitch fest. Turiddu is one of Di Stefano's best roles and Panerai makes a splendidly virile Alfio. With Serafin in command of the orchestra and chorus, it remains one of the top recommendations for the opera, despite the ancient mono sound, which does overload in places.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Irons

Lennox Berkeley: 2nd Symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.