Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

A Missa Solemnis to start the day :

Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 01, 2021, 01:04:23 AM
Lennox Berkeley: 2nd Symphony.
I like the First and Second Symphony very much. Nice portrait of LB on the cover.
Do you know the Concerto for Two Pianos Lol?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mookalafalas

Happened upon this randomly.
  Blew me away.  It reminded me of listening to music on LSD back in the 80s, and being changed. Only I wasn't on anything. And I'm not particularly a Janacek fan, or a fan of string quartets.
Anyway, plan to hear more by Belcea Q, SOON!

It's all good...

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 12:41:03 AM
Finn Mortensen Symphony No.1

Good choice, must start playing them again too!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

On Spotify:

Very nice, but I feel the music on the two recordings of Concerti da Camera by the same ensemble is (much) more interesting and engaging.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/jan01/Teleman.htm

Traverso

From the Court of Frederick the Great

Some attractive music for Traverso,Violoncello and Harpsichord

Benda-Graun-Friedrich II-Quantz & Müthel

JBS

Quote from: Brewski on November 30, 2021, 07:43:52 PM
;D

(To be fair, I should at least give one of those clips a few minutes. But it sounds like a pursuit destined for disappointment.)

--Bruce

Well, I don't think anyone else has turned Hosanna/Benedictus into a Broadway/West End show tune, so one can at least credit Webber for being an innovator.

The Pie Jesu was nice, but it's probably not worth sitting through the whole thing just to hear four minutes of nice music.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 01, 2021, 01:29:23 AM
Happened upon this randomly.
  Blew me away...

Glad to hear that your exposure to his quartets was a good experience!  They are favorites of mine.  I love Janacek's unique sound-world.  Once you hear it, it's hard to (if not impossible) to forget it (in my opinion anyway).   :)  Haven't heard the Belacea's recordings myself though.  Probably my top two are with the Takac's Quartet and the Pavel Haas Quartet.

What other works by Janacek have you heard M?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Georg Philipp Telemann.
Wind concertos.
Volume III.

La Stagione Frankfurt & Camerata Köln, Michael Schneider.

Superb.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: amw on November 27, 2021, 07:54:12 PM
I have two reference recordings of Davidsbündlertänze I usually compare all others to. One is that one. The other is this one. There are many others I go back and forth on, and the ideal recording probably hasn't been made yet, but these are the fixtures for me personally.
Nice!  Thank you for that link to the Kempff video.  I'll watch it later on today.

Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Villa-Lobos

Descobrimento Suite No.1-2 -3 & 4 

Invocação em Defesa da Pátria

Mirror Image

NP:

Rachmaninov
Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 36
Andrei Pisarev

From this gorgeous set -

Papy Oli

Olivier

Traverso

Kurtág

De Villa Lobos recording was very enjoyable

Messages de Feu Demoiselle R V.Troussova

Birtwistle

...AGM...,for 16 voices and 3 instrumental groups

Grisey

Modulations for 33 mucisians

bhodges

Quote from: Traverso on December 01, 2021, 06:37:23 AM
Kurtág

Messages de Feu Demoiselle R V.Troussova

Birtwistle

...AGM...,for 16 voices and 3 instrumental groups

Grisey

Modulations for 33 musicians

Wow, what a tasty-looking recording! I guess I missed the memo of Boulez doing Grisey:-[  Anyway, thanks.

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Flor Alpaerts: James Ensor Suite.

SonicMan46

Fred Hersch (1955-Present) - The French Collection & Red Square Blue - two oldies that we love but have not listen to in probably 10 years!  Hersch is a jazz pianist w/ many credits and recordings (see link below) - he nearly lost his life and career after recovery to HIV AIDS - I have just a couple of his jazz albums but will take a look and put together a Spotify playlist.  Dave :)

QuoteIn 1993, Hersch came out as gay and that he had been treated for HIV since 1984. He fell into a coma in 2008 for two months. When he regained consciousness, he had lost all muscular function as a result of his long inactivity and could not play the piano. After rehabilitation, he was able to play again. He has been a spokesman and fund-raiser for AIDS services and education agencies since 1993. Hersch has produced and performed on four benefit recordings and in numerous concerts for charities including Classical Action: Performing Arts Against AIDS and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS which had raised over $250,000 as of June, 2013. In April, 2016, he played a benefit concert for Buddhist Global Relief. (Source)

Karl Henning

CD 7

Prokofiev
String Quartet № 2, Op. 92 (1941)

Malipiero

String Quartet № 4 (1934)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 01, 2021, 06:52:58 AM
Fred Hersch (1955-Present) - The French Connection

It seems you meant Collection, Dave, but I don't fault you the cinematic erratum ... after all, the pun was assuredly intentional on their part.
$:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 07:01:43 AM
It seems you meant Collection, Dave, but I don't fault you the cinematic erratum ... after all, the pun was assuredly intentional on their part.
$:)

Hi Karl - LOL  :laugh:! Typing too fast and must have been thinking of the movie w/ Gene Hackman - which I own on BD - correction made!  Thanks - Dave :)

P.S. already put together a Fred Hersch playlist on Spotify (chose 6 of his solo albums - will take us into dinner time -  8))