What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

NP:

Hindemith
Die Junge Magd
Cornelia Kallisch, mezzo-soprano
Ensemble Villa Musica

This Hindemith work could've easily made it into my "Top 10" favorite song cycles. It's mournful, reflective but has an Impressionistic sound-world.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 01:29:28 PM
NP:

Hindemith
Die Junge Magd
Cornelia Kallisch, mezzo-soprano
Ensemble Villa Musica

This Hindemith work could've easily made it into my "Top 10" favorite song cycles. It's mournful, reflective but has an Impressionistic sound-world.

A beauty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 02:02:28 PM
A beauty!

And, I'm vexed that when I compiled my list, I neglected Das Marienleben!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 01, 2021, 02:04:47 PM
What does "Gold" indicate for MDG recordings?

Dunno; I'll leave that q. for John.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 08:42:37 AM
And thus, Ladies & Gentlemen: The French Correction! 8)

Bien joué, Charles!  8)

;D
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 01, 2021, 09:15:28 AM
Love it! Perhaps my favorite M5.

Sarge

Never checked Donhanyi's Mahler. Added to the streaming queue  :)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Sibelius
Luonnotar & Pohjola's daughter
From the Bernstein Concertos box.

(A first listen to both works)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Sibelius
Valse Triste
The Swan of Tuonela
Finlandia

From the same Bernstein box.
Olivier

foxandpeng

Gavriil Popov
Symphonies 1 and 2
Gennady Provatorov
Moscow State SO
USSR Radio and TV SO
Olympia

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

I had to skip about 55 pages of this thread...

Mendelssohn, Elijah

I'm still surprised that my favourite Mendelssohn works to stream have been the larger sacred vocal works, with choir and orchestra. I don't know about versions yet, but I can see myself working to add a good series of them to my collection.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 01, 2021, 12:23:15 PM
Stenhammar
Symphony no. 2
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Herbert Blomstedt

(on Spotify)

I'm still warming up to this piece - both the Westerberg recording (which I heard last week) and Blomstedt's are wonderful, and there's a lot to love in this symphony, but it just hasn't 'clicked' for me yet. I do want to 'keep on listening', because I can see this is a substantial and consequential work. Maybe I'll try listening with a score next - that often helps.

I get what you mean. I really like 1st and 4th movements, but the inner ones sound less inspired to these ears. I think I enjoy the lovely and life-affirming First Symphony the best.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 01, 2021, 12:58:55 PM
Posted this on the Purchases thread in response to Greg, who bought the Baker/Barbirolli Mahler Song Cycles (a move of which I wholeheartedly approve ;D)... and, well, you all knew this was coming:

Brahms
Alto Rhapsody
Dame Janet Baker, mezzo-soprano
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Sir Adrian Boult

(on Spotify)

There's something about the way Baker sings this that never fails to move me... at first, she's urgent, pleading... and then soothing and comforting. Halfway through the work, when minor turns to major and the choir makes their entrance while Baker floats her caressing hymn above, just gets me. Every. Single. Time. It's been ten minutes since that glorious C-major plagal cadence and I **still** can't stop crying...

Sorry, I realize this is probably TMI ;D - but that's the effect music can have on me sometimes!

I have enjoyed many Brahms Alto Rhapsodys, but inevitably, soloists always get compared to DJB.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Apparently in 2021, I clocked up 78, 352 minutes listening to music via Spotify. 1149 artists, over 58 genres of music.

This puts me ahead of 98% of the UK population for listening.

It seems quite a lot.

Thread duty:

Peter Maxwell Davies
Strathclyde Concertos 1 and 2
Scottish Chamber Orchestra
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian Symphony No. 21

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Symphonic Addict

Magnard: Ouverture, Op. 10

I don't recall having heard this work before, and it's rather substantial with its distinctive harmony and counterpoint. Vintage Magnard.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
I get what you mean. I really like 1st and 4th movements, but the inner ones sound less inspired to these ears. I think I enjoy the lovely and life-affirming First Symphony the best.

I too, prefer the 1st symphony with its coy brucknerism. It is indeed lovely.

André

Symphony no 4. Comments in the Franz Schmidt thread.

classicalgeek

Quote from: VonStupp on December 01, 2021, 03:50:33 PM
I have enjoyed many Brahms Alto Rhapsodys, but inevitably, soloists always get compared to DJB.

VS

There are several performances of the Alto Rhapsody I've really liked - those with Marjana Lipovsek, Christa Ludwig, and Jessye Norman, for instance. But there's just something about the way Baker does it that's extremely special. Of course, Brahms deserves full credit as well - that part where "minor turns to major and the choir makes their entrance while [the soloist] floats her caressing hymn above" has to be (at least in my opinion) one of THE most supremely beautiful passages in all of music...

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 03:45:30 PM

Quote from: André on December 01, 2021, 04:09:09 PM
I too, prefer the 1st symphony with its coy brucknerism. It is indeed lovely.

Good to know I'm not alone! So far, I've preferred the First Symphony as well - yes, it's not quite as original as the Second (I too think it sounds a lot like Bruckner, and to a lesser extent Brahms), but it does have a real freshness about it. 'Life-affirming' as you say, André.

Quote from: André on December 01, 2021, 04:10:03 PM

Symphony no 4. Comments in the Franz Schmidt thread.

I've got the P. Järvi Schmidt cycle on my radar for purchase. I was able to pick up the Fourth Symphony with Mehta and the Vienna Phil for cheap, so I'm looking forward to hearing that.

Thread duty:

Vaughan Williams
Job, A Masque for Dancing
Philharmonia Orchestra
Barry Wordsworth

(on Spotify)

A really good, solid performance - thank you to Jeffrey (vandermolen) for suggesting it! About my only reservation is a lack of power at some climaxes, particularly the one with the full organ toward the end of Scene VI. That aside, I really enjoyed this recording.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan