What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 01, 2021, 02:04:47 PM
What does "Gold" indicate for MDG recordings?

It's a gold disc. Other than this, your guess is as good as mine. :)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Kindertotenlieder
Věra Soukpová, mezzo-soprano
Czech Philharmonic
Neumann

Madiel

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 01, 2021, 03:52:50 PM
Apparently in 2021, I clocked up 78, 352 minutes listening to music via Spotify. 1149 artists, over 58 genres of music.

This puts me ahead of 98% of the UK population for listening.

It seems quite a lot.

If they're counting the whole UK population, they're counting a whole lot of people who don't even have Spotify accounts.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

One of my favorite discs ever by any composer. Man, these performances can make your stereo work quite a bit! On listening to the glorious Alexander Nevsky, I was reminded of this word in a quite good way: blockbuster. The interpretation under the ever energetic Järvi in company of a spectacular orchestra is just ridiculously coruscating in real epicness, intensity and clarity as a recording. It's almost graphic, like a beam projected through the prisms of a cinematic orchestra and an expert conductor who feels at home regarding Prokofiev and similar composers. A home-run in the Prokofiev's discography.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 05:12:08 PM
One of my favorite discs ever by any composer. Man, these performances can make your stereo work quite a bit! On listening to the glorious Alexander Nevsky, I was reminded of this word in a quite good way: blockbuster. The interpretation under the ever energetic Järvi in company of a spectacular orchestra is just ridiculously coruscating in real epicness, intensity and clarity as a recording. It's almost graphic, like a beam projected through the prisms of a cinematic orchestra and an expert conductor who feels at home regarding Prokofiev and similar composers. A home-run in the Prokofiev's discography.

I can only nod my head in agreement. Alexander Nevsky is a masterpiece.

Mirror Image

NP:

Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No. 1 in F-sharp minor, Op. 1
Victor Eresko, piano
USSR State Academic Symphony Orchestra
Gennady Provatorov

From this set -

A stunning performance --- Eresko and Provatorov are completely in-tune with each other. One of the better performances of this concerto I've heard. Also, this has never been issued on CD before this box set, so another reason why I treasure this set --- there are many performances that make their first appearance on CD with in this set.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on December 01, 2021, 04:10:03 PM

Symphony no 4. Comments in the Franz Schmidt thread.

Love this work and performance. It's particularly lush, poetic and never lacking depth. One of the few DG releases regarding "obscure" composers that has interested to me largely lately. The other could be the recordings of Weinberg.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on December 01, 2021, 03:32:11 PM
I had to skip about 55 pages of this thread...

Mendelssohn, Elijah

I'm still surprised that my favourite Mendelssohn works to stream have been the larger sacred vocal works, with choir and orchestra. I don't know about versions yet, but I can see myself working to add a good series of them to my collection.

And you get the added option of Elias auf Deutsch or Elijah in English.
These works are not my favorite Mendelssohn (I think the recording you listened to is the only Elijah/Elias I have), but when you get around to checking out Paulus I can say I found Hickox on Chandos to be very good.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 05:22:57 PM
I can only nod my head in agreement. Alexander Nevsky is a masterpiece.

I reconfirmed that today, certainly! A hair-raising, sharp-edged, disciplined performance too.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

TD
A Neeme Jarvithon courtesy of the Chandos set

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2021, 05:42:48 PM
TD
A Neeme Jarvithon courtesy of the Chandos set

A fantastic performance!

Mirror Image

NP:

Hartmann
Concerto funebre
Alina Ibragimova, violin
Britten Sinfonia

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 05:37:10 PM
I reconfirmed that today, certainly! A hair-raising, sharp-edged, disciplined performance too.

If you haven't already, you've got to hear the Svetlanov performance (on the ICA Classics label). It's a hair-raising performance, too.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 05:47:45 PM
A fantastic performance!
Indeed it was. This set is turning out to be the treasure Harry said it was.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2021, 06:03:07 PM
Indeed it was. This set is turning out to be the treasure Harry said it was.

Truth be told, I only like Järvi in certain repertoire. I think he excels in Russian and Nordic music more than anything else.

Mirror Image

NP:

Shchedrin
Stihira
National Symphony Orchestra
Rostropovich

The only recording of this work from Shchedrin and thank goodness it's a good one.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 05:56:28 PM
If you haven't already, you've got to hear the Svetlanov performance (on the ICA Classics label). It's a hair-raising performance, too.

Yes, I was planning to hear it after the Järvi to compare both readings, albeit I suspect the Svetlanov could be more hysterical and in-your-face.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 06:08:43 PM
Truth be told, I only like Järvi in certain repertoire. I think he excels in Russian and Nordic music more than anything else.

So far the Dvorak, Richard Strauss and Brahms have been solid performances, not to mention the Russian stuff (Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Rachmaninov as well as Shostakovich). There are some chesnuts in here like Ma Vlast, but also some composers not recorded much. And even with the chesnuts there's works not recorded often. The Weber CD is a good example--besides the big three overtures listed on the cover, it has several pieces of his theatre music that don't get much exposure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 06:24:31 PM
Yes, I was planning to hear it after the Järvi to compare both readings, albeit I suspect the Svetlanov could be more hysterical and in-your-face.

"In-your-face" indeed, but oh so enjoyable. :)

Now playing a triple-bill of Shostakovich:

Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 77
Alina Ibragimova, violin
State Academic Symphony Orchestra Of Russia 'Evgeny Svetlanov'
Vladimir Jurowski

From Jewish Poetry, Op. 79
Tamara Sinjawskaja, Nina Fomina, Arkadi Mischenkin
WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln
Michail Jurowski

Seven Romances on Poems of Alexander Blok, Op. 127
Joan Rodgers
Beaux Arts Trio