What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2021, 06:24:53 PM
So far the Dvorak, Richard Strauss and Brahms have been solid performances, not to mention the Russian stuff (Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Rachmaninov as well as Shostakovich). There are some chesnuts in here like Ma Vlast, but also some composers not recorded much. And even with the chesnuts there's works not recorded often. The Weber CD is a good example--besides the big three overtures listed on the cover, it has several pieces of his theatre music that don't get much exposure.

Ah yes, I forgot he is quite good in Strauss. Anyway, it looks like a nice box set.

Klavier1

No.3 and 4 from this superb set.

classicalgeek

Winding up this workday with:

Arthur Bliss
Morning Heroes
Samuel West, narrator
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sir Andrew Davis

(on Spotify)

A profoundly moving piece overall, and narration that really worked (sometimes it just doesn't when there's also music involved; I think a lot of the credit goes to West.) Maybe it went on a touch too long (I struggled to understand the point of 'Achilles Goes Forth to Battle' in the grand scheme of the piece, for instance), and a lot of the excellent orchestration was covered up by the choir. On the whole, though, this piece really resonated with me, and I'm so glad I heard it. The performance was really fine as well (with excellent choral singing), but now I really want to hear Charles Groves' recording, if just to compare.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

bhodges

Just posted today, this live 1970 recording of Bartók's Piano Concerto No. 1, with Nelson Freire and the Cleveland Orchestra, with Pierre Boulez. Sound and balances are slightly wonky, considering the live recording and the age, but never mind. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI5qhoDVTgw

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Last work of the night:

Tchaikovsky
Francesca da Rimini, Op. 32
New Philharmonia
Markevitch

Holy smokes! Superb! I remember hearing this performance on a classical internet station many years ago and it got imprinted in my mind at that moment, but I didn't remember who the conductor and orchestra were. Looks like I know now!

Linz

I am now listening to Sol Gabetta in Shostakovich' s Cello Concerto no. 1 and Rachmaninov's Cello and Piano sonata

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 01, 2021, 03:30:11 PM
Gavriil Popov
Symphonies 1 and 2
Gennady Provatorov
Moscow State SO
USSR Radio and TV SO
Olympia

One of the great Olympia CDs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 01, 2021, 06:44:46 PM
Winding up this workday with:

Arthur Bliss
Morning Heroes
Samuel West, narrator
BBC Symphony Chorus
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sir Andrew Davis

(on Spotify)

A profoundly moving piece overall, and narration that really worked (sometimes it just doesn't when there's also music involved; I think a lot of the credit goes to West.) Maybe it went on a touch too long (I struggled to understand the point of 'Achilles Goes Forth to Battle' in the grand scheme of the piece, for instance), and a lot of the excellent orchestration was covered up by the choir. On the whole, though, this piece really resonated with me, and I'm so glad I heard it. The performance was really fine as well (with excellent choral singing), but now I really want to hear Charles Groves' recording, if just to compare.
Hymn to Apollo is a nice bonus too James and I like the discussion relating to it in the notes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Organ Works, Volume VIII.

BWV: 662-668,709,768.

Ewald Kooiman plays on a Johann Andreas Silbermann organ 1778, Bouxwiller, Temple Protestant, France.
SACD recording.

What a joy, after several complete listenings to his performance, my heart still leaps forward a notch or two. What a fabulous organist he was. I so much regret that he was not able to complete this set. Superb sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 01, 2021, 05:12:08 PM
One of my favorite discs ever by any composer. Man, these performances can make your stereo work quite a bit! On listening to the glorious Alexander Nevsky, I was reminded of this word in a quite good way: blockbuster. The interpretation under the ever energetic Järvi in company of a spectacular orchestra is just ridiculously coruscating in real epicness, intensity and clarity as a recording. It's almost graphic, like a beam projected through the prisms of a cinematic orchestra and an expert conductor who feels at home regarding Prokofiev and similar composers. A home-run in the Prokofiev's discography.

Great description!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 01:21:34 AM
I like the First and Second Symphony very much. Nice portrait of LB on the cover.
Do you know the Concerto for Two Pianos Lol?

Yes, coupled with 1st Symphony on LP, Jeffrey. A fairly recent acquisition after your recommendation. Great piece.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 07:43:01 AM
NP:

Elgar
Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85
Julian Lloyd Webber, cello
RPO
Yehudi Menuhin

Enigma Variations, Op. 36
CSO
Solti

From this set -

I would like to hear the Elgar. JLW bumped up his pension pot by performing the Elgar CC all over the UK multiple times. Have nothing of Menuhin as a conductor, but maybe I should.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Dvorak: 7th Symphony.

Giulini a guilty pleasure here. Many lovers of Dvorak (who isn't) would turn their nose up at the broad and weighty rendition of Giulini. Not me though.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 01:22:34 PM
Late night listening.
Vaughan Williams 'On Wenlock Edge'. A beautiful and moving performance.

Not heard the performance but love "On Wenlock Edge". Must be the best song cycle by an English composer.

aukhawk

re Shostakovich Piano Trio No.2
Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 09:24:16 AM
Do you have a favorite recording of it Karl?

I'm going to butt in here to mention that it's worth seeking out the recording by the composer, with David Oistrakh and Milos Sadlo - dating from the '60s so the stereo sound is not 'historic' by any means.  (Readily available, Amazon, Spotify, etc)

Shostakovich plays Shostakovich (5 CDs)

For years my go-to has been the Vienna Trio:

Shostakovich Trio No.2 - Vienna Trio

But I think this has now been displaced by this fine recent recording by Trio Con Brio, though fair warning - in their hands the final movement turns into a bit of a romp, which is obviously not how you heard it from the Borodins!
As thread duty, I've listened to this three times in the last two weeks.

Shostakovich Trio No.2 - Trio Con Brio Copenhagen

The Trio No.2 is absolutely Shostakovich at his very best, IMO.

Traverso

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 01, 2021, 12:58:55 PM
Posted this on the Purchases thread in response to Greg, who bought the Baker/Barbirolli Mahler Song Cycles (a move of which I wholeheartedly approve ;D)... and, well, you all knew this was coming:

Brahms
Alto Rhapsody
Dame Janet Baker, mezzo-soprano
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Sir Adrian Boult

(on Spotify)

There's something about the way Baker sings this that never fails to move me... at first, she's urgent, pleading... and then soothing and comforting. Halfway through the work, when minor turns to major and the choir makes their entrance while Baker floats her caressing hymn above, just gets me. Every. Single. Time. It's been ten minutes since that glorious C-major plagal cadence and I **still** can't stop crying...

Sorry, I realize this is probably TMI ;D - but that's the effect music can have on me sometimes!

I'm Just curious,are you crying out loud ?  :)

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Sibelius
Tapiola
Kuolema

(Blomstedt)
Olivier

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 04:32:43 AM
Glad to hear that your exposure to his quartets was a good experience!  They are favorites of mine.  I love Janacek's unique sound-world.  Once you hear it, it's hard to (if not impossible) to forget it (in my opinion anyway).   :)  Haven't heard the Belacea's recordings myself though.  Probably my top two are with the Takac's Quartet and the Pavel Haas Quartet.

What other works by Janacek have you heard M?

PD

Hmmm...the Cunning Little Vixen, Taris Bulba (?), some orchestral stuff. Kubelik conducting a modern Mass with a really funky name, some Firkusny (piano) stuff I couldn't sink my teeth into... I mostly browse and sample, so can't say off the top of my head.  But I've got some Takacs and Pavel Haas squirreled away. I'll see if I have any of their Janacek.

TD:
Lucchesini---Late Schubert (Audite)
It's all good...

Harry

Joachim Raff.

Symphony No. 2, & Orchestral Preludes.

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neem Järvi.

Listened four times now to this disc, thus it wanders into my collection. Never be sure if I have the chance to listen again, so I play most discs now four times in as short a period as I possibly can. At least I know for sure what my impressions are, and for this disc it is clear, very recommendable. Good Sound and Performance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."