What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Offenbach

In these ( in many ways) dark days a good choice for a mental boost.:)

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian Symphony No. 25

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

LvB (arr. Liszt
Symphony № 3 in Eb, « Sinfonia eroica » Op. 55
Cyprien Katsaris
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Dimitri Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No. 1
with David Oistrakh
conducted by Mitropoulos
with the New York Phil. Orch

Recorded in 1956
From a 10-CD set of Shostakovich on Membran

What a ride!  Thrilling!  I can only guess at how difficult that must be to play and to play well.

In Elizabeth Wilson's book on the composer, Venyamin Basner recounts how he first heard the piece including this bit which stuck out for me:

"I was of course present at the first performance of the of the First Violin Concerto, given by David Oistrakh in Leningrad in 1955.  I attended all of the rehearsals.  The concerto is a relentlessly hard, intense piece for the soloist.  The difficult Scherzo is followed by the Passacaglia, then comes immediately the enormous Cadenza which leads without a break into the Finale.  The violinist is not given the chance to pause and take breath.  I remember that even Oistrakh, a god for all violinists, asked Shostakovich to show mercy.  'Dimitri Dimitriyevich, please consider letting the orchestra take over the first eight bars in the Finale so as to give me a break, then I at least can wipe the sweat off my brow.'

Immediately, Dmitri Dmitriyevich said, 'Of course, of course, why didn't I think of it.'  By the next day he had made the necessary correction by giving the first statement of the theme in the Finale to the orchestra.  The violin soloist comes in with the passage work afterwords...."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Hindemith: Concert Music for Strings and Brass. Lenny, New York.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 03, 2021, 06:53:22 AM
Hindemith: Concert Music for Strings and Brass. Lenny, New York.
I've been meaning to explore Hindemith more.  How did you like this work and the recording?

Some more Shostakovich

Suite from The Gadfly op. 97 (excerpts)
Jonathan Carney, Violine
The Royal Phil. Orch.
Frank Shipway, Conductor

followed by 2 Preludes op. 34 Nos. 10 and 15
Jascha Heifetz & Emanuel Bay

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 03, 2021, 05:27:03 AM
Mstislav Rostropovich
Haydn's Cello Concerto No. 1
Himself conducting with
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields

Recorded in 1975 at Studio 1, Abbey Road

From M. Rostropovich:  The Complete EMI Recordings (but I bet that some of you vinyl enthusiasts have it on LP--you lucky so and sos!).

What a wonderful way to start the day...like opening up the front door and stepping outside into a warm ray of sunshine.  Hadn't visited Papa Haydn in some time...way too long of a time.

PD

p.s.  Was a bit surprised to read that the cadenza was written by Benjamin Britten; I expect that that is also the same for No. 2 though the way that it's printed in the booklet is a bit strange.

Rostropovich recorded the Haydn concerto in 1964 with Britten conducting for Decca with cadenzas by Britten. Rostropovich was very loyal to his friends of which Britten was one and typical of the man to use the cadenzas of his great chum in a later recording.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 03, 2021, 07:06:48 AM
I've been meaning to explore Hindemith more.  How did you like this work and the recording?

PD

All Hindemith recordings by Bernstein NY are super powerful. I would like to recommend the compilation below.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2021, 07:14:25 AM
A classic!

Have a great weekend, Karl!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 03, 2021, 07:08:52 AM
Rostropovich recorded the Haydn concerto in 1964 with Britten conducting for Decca with cadenzas by Britten. Rostropovich was very loyal to his friends of which Britten was one and typical of the man to use the cadenzas of his great chum in a later recording.
Ah!  I hadn't realized that there was more than one cadenza in No. 1--which makes more sense now with the liner notes (underneath it says "(Cadenzas:  Benjamin Britten)  There's nothing underneath the Cello Concerto No. 2 though.  I suspect that Britten also wrote cadenzas for it too?  Do you happen to know Irons?

Thanks for reminding me; I had forgotten that Rostropovich was close to Britten [Must be getting old here....how could I have forgotten that?!  :-[  :-\ ].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 03, 2021, 07:21:56 AM
All Hindemith recordings by Bernstein NY are super powerful. I would like to recommend the compilation below.

Thanks for the suggestion!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian Symphony No. 26

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 03, 2021, 07:30:43 AM
Ah!  I hadn't realized that there was more than one cadenza in No. 1--which makes more sense now with the liner notes (underneath it says "(Cadenzas:  Benjamin Britten)  There's nothing underneath the Cello Concerto No. 2 though.  I suspect that Britten also wrote cadenzas for it too?  Do you happen to know Irons?

Thanks for reminding me; I had forgotten that Rostropovich was close to Britten [Must be getting old here....how could I have forgotten that?!  :-[  :-\ ].

PD

Far as I'm aware no cadenzas in the 2nd Concerto, PD. But don't take my word for it.

You have wetted my appetite to give them a spin this evening. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Well, still going through my collection of 'performers' - yesterday listened to a half dozen discs including the three top ones below w/ Christopher Parkening - we saw him locally years ago, probably three or four times - he use to give master classes at the UNC School of Arts - all older recordings.

This morning, starting w/ Bachiana w/ the Musica Antiqua Köln doing double concertos by the sons of JS Bach; then coming up two discs w/ Hille Perl (believe that I have others likely under specific composers) - Dave :)

P.S. just noticed that Perl has a lot of other recordings on Amazon - any recommendations?  Thanks!

Biffo

I have that compilation - a great disc. It contains my favourite recording of the Symphony in E-flat.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 03, 2021, 07:59:56 AM
Far as I'm aware no cadenzas in the 2nd Concerto, PD. But don't take my word for it.

You have wetted my appetite to give them a spin this evening. :)
Nice!  Hope that you enjoy them!

I did find a couple of things....the first quote is from music website international.  It's from a review of the EMI release:

"The D Major Concerto was written in 1783, some 18 years after its predecessor. Following the traditional three movement format, the opening Allegro Moderato, longer than its equivalent in Number 1 but less obviously ingratiating , it features an (inevitably) challenging cadenza by Rostropovich himself (as did the last movement). Another of Haydn's short but instantly attractive slow movements leads to a vigorous Finale with more magic from a happily integrated ensemble. 'Papa' Haydn would have been happy. Perhaps he is - up there listening."

Also, found a rather scholarly article which includes comments about the history of the cadenzas for No. 2.

PD

p.s.  I haven't found anything online about Britten writing a cadenza for No. 2; only for the first one.

p.p.s.  Currently playing:  Franz Berwald's Symphony No. 3 with Markevitch and the Berlin Phil.
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on November 29, 2021, 08:59:53 AM

Anyone listening to this CD blind would, I'm sure, guess correctly that the music emanated from the late nineteenth century. I doubt very much though that they would guess the composer was Italian. The music seems to owe a lot more to Schumann and Brahms than it does to anyone else, Brahms in particular.

Excellent performances of some rather gorgeous music by the Italian Giuseppe Martucci.

A lovely work, quite "fresh" and inventive. I would argue that it really doesn't sound much like anyone else; there's even some occasional Sibelian(!) touches in there.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 29, 2021, 10:38:02 AM

Pierné deserves more exposure, but this is only partly successful. Superior sound quality and characterful solo playing by various instrumental leaders, but the climaxes of Cydalise suffer from rather sloppy ensemble playing, especially violins that struggle to hit the right notes. In general this sounds underrehearsed. Plus, of course, you're only getting the suites, not complete works. For Ramuntcho, the Chandos recording has more polish although it's a bit slower at times, and for Cydalise, the Luxembourg/Shallon complete disc offers more realistic, less analytical recorded sound and a truly epic soundworld...and completeness.

The disc was recorded in October 2015 and released in October 2021, an unusual delay for Naxos. I wonder if they initially decided against releasing it, then changed their minds when COVID created lots of gaps in the release calendar.

Good to know, Brian. At least there's already complete and satisfactory recordings of these fantastically colorful and tuneful works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

And you, friend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2021, 09:57:25 PM
Yes, I really like when composers have that gift to write memorable melodies that often are inspired by folk music, and glad to know you have Bergakungen in high esteem. I'll have to give it another listen on the strength of your enthusiasm about it.

And that is definitely the case with both Alfvén and Dvorak! I'm sure there are others... Vaughan Williams, perhaps? And with Dvorak, the folk music doesn't have to Czech - just look at the main theme of the slow movement of the New World Symphony! As for Bergakungen, what else can I say? It's absolutely magnificent!

Thread duty:

Malcolm Arnold
Homage to the Queen: Suite
Rinaldo and Armida
Sweeney Todd: Concert Suite
BBC Philharmonic
Rumon Gamba

(on Spotify)

Simply delightful. Not as intense and hair-raising as Electra, though Rinaldo and Armida comes close. There are touches of Arnold's lighter side in Homage to the Queen, and even in Sweeney Todd he's occasionally playful despite the subject matter!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan