Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Rachmaninoff's Trio élégiaque No. 2 in D minor, Op. 9

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 03, 2021, 07:21:56 AM
All Hindemith recordings by Bernstein NY are super powerful. I would like to recommend the compilation below.

Bernstein was great in such a wide variety of repertoire! I need to get his Nielsen... and I'm thinking I should check out his Hindemith too.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

bhodges

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 03, 2021, 10:21:06 AM
Bernstein was great in such a wide variety of repertoire! I need to get his Nielsen... and I'm thinking I should check out his Hindemith too.

Yessss. Though I've not heard the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, I have the other two in their original release, and they are among my favorite recordings from his time with the New York Philharmonic. Very powerful, muscular recordings, and the two works seem to thrive on Bernstein's extrovert approach.

Now listening to Enescu's Romanian Rhapsody No. 1, in honor of Great Union Day in Romania (Dec. 1). My current favorite version is with Vlad Vizireanu and the Camerata Regala, live from the lovely old hall in Bucharest. It uses just a single camera shot, highlighting the conductor, but the audio quality is superb (witness all the microphones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKL7ZOLRfNw&t=784s

--Bruce

Linz

Brahms Murray Perahia  Handel Variations op. 24 Rhapsodies op.79 Piano Pieces Op. 118 & 119

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.2 in D major, op.43. Osmo Vänskä, Minnesota Orchestra

First listen. Damn, this is a seriously detailed recording. It sounds great, especially the brass.

André

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 03, 2021, 10:04:18 AM
And that is definitely the case with both Alfvén and Dvorak! I'm sure there are others... Vaughan Williams, perhaps? And with Dvorak, the folk music doesn't have to Czech - just look at the main theme of the slow movement of the New World Symphony! As for Bergakungen, what else can I say? It's absolutely magnificent!

Thread duty:

Malcolm Arnold
Homage to the Queen: Suite
Rinaldo and Armida
Sweeney Todd: Concert Suite
BBC Philharmonic
Rumon Gamba

(on Spotify)

Simply delightful. Not as intense and hair-raising as Electra, though Rinaldo and Armida comes close. There are touches of Arnold's lighter side in Homage to the Queen, and even in Sweeney Todd he's occasionally playful despite the subject matter!

+1 for Bergakungen and the Arnold ballet music disc.  :)

vandermolen

Earlier this evening:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Biffo on December 03, 2021, 08:01:46 AM
It contains my favourite recording of the Symphony in E-flat.

Killer recording!  :D

vers la flamme

Edvard Grieg: Norwegian March, op.54 no.3; Notturno, op.54 no.4; Homage March, op.56 no.3. Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra

Kind of feeling the beginnings of a Nordic kick coming on... listening to Grieg, reading Strindberg, admiring the paintings of Munch. Maybe I'll watch a Bergman film tonight  :P

André

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on December 03, 2021, 01:08:05 PM
Earlier this evening:

Also earlier did you enjoy a glass of wine, Jeffrey? I think that would be a winning combination along with listening to music!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I'm listening to the amazingly ravishing Barber's Violin Concerto as played by Ehnes and the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Impeccable to say the least.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:48:45 AM
A lovely work, quite "fresh" and inventive. I would argue that it really doesn't sound much like anyone else; there's even some occasional Sibelian(!) touches in there.

His La canzone dei ricordi could be a firm candidate to a favorite vocal cycle.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.4, op.29, "The Inextinguishable". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Damn, what a killer symphony this is. I must confess that sometimes I struggle with Nielsen's music, but sometimes it really makes sense to me.

Karl Henning

Shostakovich
Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District
Boris Timofeyevich Izmailov—Aage Haugland
Zinovy Borisovich Izmailov—Philip Langridge
Yekaterina Lvovna Izmailova—Maria Ewing
Sergei—Sergei Larin
Orchestre et chœurs de l'Opéra Bastille
Myung-Whun Chung
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Tonight

The Fourth Symphony
Crackling with energy, but Solti remains the best in this symphony: he knew how to put the fuoco in allegro con fuoco.

So far so good (I'm still on the first CD). I must admit the Pleyel 1836 sounds exactly like the assembly line produced upright in the living room I was allowed to plonk away when visiting my aunt.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Klavier1

I mostly bought this for the Lyatoshynsky, a big and muscular work, but I also liked the Silvestrov, and pretty much hated the Poleva! (Monotonous and unmemorable) Very good playing and sound. 24/96 FLAC.

Klavier1

A superb new release, with powerful playing and great sound. The Bach-Brahms Chaconne is a bit slow for my taste, but it's an interesting reading of the work. 24/96 FLAC.

bhodges

Rejoicing in a livestream from Thomas Søndergård, Ingrid Fliter, and the Minnesota Orchestra, in Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Mozart, and R. Strauss, all in excellent audio and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOuvod5Vfw0

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 05:09:08 PM
I'm listening to the amazingly ravishing Barber's Violin Concerto as played by Ehnes and the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Impeccable to say the least.

Oh yessss.

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 03, 2021, 05:18:08 PM
Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.4, op.29, "The Inextinguishable". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Damn, what a killer symphony this is. I must confess that sometimes I struggle with Nielsen's music, but sometimes it really makes sense to me.

A killer symphony for sure.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2021, 05:20:44 PM
Shostakovich
Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District
Boris Timofeyevich Izmailov—Aage Haugland
Zinovy Borisovich Izmailov—Philip Langridge
Yekaterina Lvovna Izmailova—Maria Ewing
Sergei—Sergei Larin
Orchestre et chœurs de l'Opéra Bastille
Myung-Whun Chung

Haven't heard this in awhile, and speaking of "killer."

--Bruce