What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Klavier1 on December 03, 2021, 05:46:41 PM
I mostly bought this for the Lyatoshynsky, a big and muscular work, but I also liked the Silvestrov...

Oh yes, another recording I was eager to listen to because of the Lyatoshinsky. The Silvestrov could be a nice surprise too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on December 03, 2021, 05:34:06 PM
Tonight

The Fourth Symphony
Crackling with energy, but Solti remains the best in this symphony: he knew how to put the fuoco in allegro con fuoco.

I think my favorite could be the famous Mravinsky, but I don't discard Solti as a formidable Tchaikovsky conductor either.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on December 03, 2021, 05:49:18 PM
Rejoicing in a livestream from Thomas Søndergård, Ingrid Fliter, and the Minnesota Orchestra, in Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Mozart, and R. Strauss, all in excellent audio and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOuvod5Vfw0

--Bruce

Quote from: Brewski on December 03, 2021, 05:52:48 PM
Oh yessss.

A killer symphony for sure.

Haven't heard this in awhile, and speaking of "killer."

--Bruce

Very good!  8)

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 03, 2021, 05:18:08 PM

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.4, op.29, "The Inextinguishable". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Damn, what a killer symphony this is. I must confess that sometimes I struggle with Nielsen's music, but sometimes it really makes sense to me.

And I must admit I connected with Nielsen instantly because of the spiteful wit in the music. It's a kind of quirkiness, actually, There is malice in the works, in his creations. That tells me the music, and I hear attentively.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brewski on December 03, 2021, 05:49:18 PM
Rejoicing in a livestream from Thomas Søndergård, Ingrid Fliter, and the Minnesota Orchestra, in Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Mozart, and R. Strauss, all in excellent audio and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOuvod5Vfw0

--Bruce

Caught the end of a GORGEOUS 'Heldenleben'. Thanks for sharing!

TD:

Wrapping up this workday with a sublime Bruckner 9:

Bruckner
Symphony no. 9
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2021, 05:20:44 PM
Shostakovich
Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District
Boris Timofeyevich Izmailov—Aage Haugland
Zinovy Borisovich Izmailov—Philip Langridge
Yekaterina Lvovna Izmailova—Maria Ewing
Sergei—Sergei Larin
Orchestre et chœurs de l'Opéra Bastille
Myung-Whun Chung

I've intended to hear the whole thing someday. The title sounds suggestive and sinner.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Alf Hurum and his utterly lovely Symphony in D minor. What a gem!!! Strongly recommended if you enjoy composers like Koch, Bloch (without the Jewish voice, of course :D) maybe, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Atterberg, Glass (Louis), Bax. It's indeed an endearing and charming piece.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 03, 2021, 07:02:03 PM
Caught the end of a GORGEOUS 'Heldenleben'. Thanks for sharing!

Lovely, wasn't it!

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 07:05:43 PM
I've intended to hear the whole thing someday. The title sounds suggestive and sinner.

It is fabulous. Sordid story, incredible music, which conquers all.

--Bruce

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
I think my favorite could be the famous Mravinsky, but I don't discard Solti as a formidable Tchaikovsky conductor either.

Mravinsky is on my wishlist at the moment. But my recent purchases have meant a big pile to be listened to: by the time everything arrives I'll have about 100 CDs of piano/piano centered music, plus the Warner Saint Saens box and other tidbits.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on November 30, 2021, 07:45:44 AM
I think your description of the quartets is the perception of all of Berkeley's music, he always seems damned by faint praise. Not without foundation, but some of the later music is quite "knotty", the 3rd Symphony? With the 2nd Quartet I felt he was attempting at least to throw off the shackles.

I didn't mean to damn Berkeley with faint praise! I really enjoy a number of his works, like the Symphonies 1 and 4, Concerto for 2 Pianos, Serenade for Strings, and SQs nos. 1 and 2. His music has a sort of inner logic that is quite satisfying, and it doesn't lack color or emotion like some may suggest.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 9 in D
Czech Philharmonic
Neumann

From this set -

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 03:47:30 PM
Bliss
Cello concerto
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow
Robert Cohen, cello
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Barry Wordsworth

(on Spotify)

The Cello Concerto certainly contains some lovely music; I hear some echoes of Elgar's Cello Concerto, and I'm thinking Bliss used that as a model. It didn't really "stick with me" on first hearing, but I do want to listen again. I wanted a chance to hear the Meditations in a different performance, and I think I prefer the Andrew Davis recording, even though Wordsworth is just fine. I think there's a little more polish to the playing in Davis's recording, though I do like Wordsworth's "sheep bells" ;D better.

FWIW, the Cello Concerto isn't really one of my preferred Bliss works. His Piano Concerto, on the other hand, is a scorcher!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 12:41:03 AM
Finn Mortensen Symphony No.1

A pity there was not to be a No. 2, or 3!

kyjo

Quote from: Klavier1 on December 01, 2021, 11:07:07 AM
Superb!

Some of my very favorite solo piano works are contained on that album!

Symphonic Addict

Speaking of killers, the astonishing and moving 7th Proserpine? It could convey magic and vivid sceneries, enjoying a fascinating and stimulating musical experience, like evoking a pantomime in a sea valley from the old Greece. The recording is excellent despite it's a broadcast.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Kabalevsky: Piano Concerto no. 1

Absolutely superb stuff! One of the great Russian PCs, for sure. The "funeral march-like" procession variation in the slow movement gave me chills up and down my spine!

Dvorak: Symphony no. 1 The Bells of Zlonice

The first movement and scherzo contain some really marvelous music, bold, energetic, and often quite surprising. I'm less convinced by the slow movement and finale, the latter of which sounds like it has like 5 or 6 different endings ( :D), but that's okay - Dvorak's always a composer I can "trust" no matter what.

Pijper: Piano Concerto

Woahhhh, this is cool! Pijper's style is modernistic without being harsh, and is quite "quirky" and original. He packs a lot of material into just 12 and a half minutes! Yet another interesting Dutch composer to explore.

Ries: Piano Quartets nos. 1 and 2

The first piano quartet, in F minor, is enjoyable but not especially memorable. However, the second quartet, in E-flat major, is a superb find, in particular the melancholy slow movement and the folksy, incredibly catchy finale. His third piano quartet (in E minor) and Piano Quintet (available on a Camerata CD) are also excellent and substantial works, well worth seeking out. Ries is one of the most interesting lesser-known composers of the early romantic period IMO.

Hahn: Piano Concerto in E major

What an utterly sparkling, delightful concerto! I had previously listened to an inferior recording of the work, and my impression was not that positive. I'm glad I took the effort to hear this Hyperion recording to revise my opinion!

vers la flamme

Johannes Brahms: Alto Rhapsodie, op.53. Jard van Nes, Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony & Chorus

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 08:13:35 PM
Speaking of killers, the astonishing and moving 7th Proserpine? It could convey magic and vivid sceneries, enjoying a fascinating and stimulating musical experience, like evoking a pantomime in a sea valley from the old Greece. The recording is excellent despite it's a broadcast.

Pounds the table!! One of my very favorite symphonies of all time. Isn't the climax of the first movement just absolutely thrilling and crushing?!

Linz

Janos Starker Cello Suites BMW 1008, 1010 & 1012