What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2021, 12:17:26 AM
Moroi: Symphony No.3 (1944)
This is a most eloquent and tragic symphony and my favourite of the Naxos Japanese Composers Series, reflecting the despondency of Japanese intellectuals as catastrophe of the Second World War for Japan became increasingly apparent. It is a moving, full-blown tragic symphony:

+ 1. A deeply moving work. Such a nice series. It seems to have stalled a few years ago, though.  >:(

Traverso

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 03, 2021, 07:02:03 PM
Caught the end of a GORGEOUS 'Heldenleben'. Thanks for sharing!

TD:

Wrapping up this workday with a sublime Bruckner 9:

Bruckner
Symphony no. 9
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlo Maria Giulini

(on Spotify)

I like that Bruckner with Giulini  :)

Traverso

The Magic of Polyphony

CD 1

Busnois-De La Rue-Gombert-Vaquedano & anonymous

Traverso

Bruckner

Symphony No.7

His farewell as a conductor in the Netherlands was not with the Concertgebouw Orchestra but with the orchestra where his career began.
Recorded in the music hall of the Concertgebouw Amsterdam.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jerome Ducharme: Guitar Recital.

Iota

Roger Reynolds: FLiGHT
JACK quartet

Quite a turn up this one! I hadn't heard of Roger Reynolds until a few hours ago, which thanks to a Mandryka/some guy discussion on the Missing Members thread is no longer the case, and this one hit the sweet spot straight off. An avant garde, highly inventive and alluring world, full of variety, intrigue and a pervading sense of humanity/compassion. I will certainly be digging deeper into this very promising music.

vers la flamme

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.6, "Sinfonia Semplice". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Can't seem to make heads or tails of this one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2021, 06:34:47 AM

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.6, "Sinfonia Semplice". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Can't seem to make heads or tails of this one.

Really? I think it's one of Nielsen's best works.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:39:07 AM
Really? I think it's one of Nielsen's best works.

Yep, but all of Nielsen's music took quite a few listens to click with me. I still don't count myself as his biggest fan, but I enjoy the 3rd, 4th and 5th symphonies quite a lot.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2021, 06:43:56 AM
Yep, but all of Nielsen's music took quite a few listens to click with me. I still don't count myself as his biggest fan, but I enjoy the 3rd, 4th and 5th symphonies quite a lot.

Nielsen is a bit more of a challenge to get into, but in my own experience Sibelius wasn't easy either, but my affection for Sibelius is far greater.

Traverso

Villa-Lobos

Bachianas Brasileiras No.4
Bachianas Brasileiras No.5
Bachianas Brasileiras No.6
Bachianas Brasileiras No.7

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:46:47 AM
Nielsen is a bit more of a challenge to get into, but in my own experience Sibelius wasn't easy either, but my affection for Sibelius is far greater.

Personally, I don't really get the frequent comparisons between Sibelius and Nielsen. They were both composers from Nordic countries, near exact contemporaries, but the parallels seem to end there.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 04, 2021, 07:08:19 AM
Personally, I don't really get the frequent comparisons between Sibelius and Nielsen. They were both composers from Nordic countries, near exact contemporaries, but the parallels seem to end there.

I don't get the comparisons between a lot of composers, especially Debussy and Ravel. I mean these two composers couldn't have been more different from each other.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 07:10:40 AM
I don't get the comparisons between a lot of composers, especially Debussy and Ravel. I mean these two composers couldn't have been more different from each other.

Agreed.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2021, 04:32:04 AM

Plenty of drama and excitement in these works and especially in this passionate performance.

Hi Andrei - just checked my Wolfie collection for those works, and own the two inserted above, both on fortepianos - SO, as w/ many composers of that era, I like to have both PI and MI versions - attached for those interested are some reviews including two excellent ones for the Leopolds and Lewis - also available at BRO for $9, so may put together a small order today!  Thanks.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

And now I journey into a dark forest...

NP:

Schoenberg

Erwartung, Op. 17
Anja Silja, soprano
Wiener Philharmoniker
Dohnányi

Pelleas und Melisande, Op. 5
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Nott

From these recordings -

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bachtoven

I'm not familiar with is Latvian composer. but I like what I hear (Qobuz is great for exploring unknown composers/works). A little thorny at times, but she manages a bit of lyricism as well. Very good playing and sound.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 04, 2021, 07:12:43 AM
Hi Andrei - just checked my Wolfie collection for those works, and own the two inserted above, both on fortepianos - SO, as w/ many composers of that era, I like to have both PI and MI versions - attached for those interested are some reviews including two excellent ones for the Leopolds and Lewis - also available at BRO for $9, so may put together a small order today!  Thanks.  Dave :)

Thank you too, Dave, that PBS & FQ version looks enticing, although I am not a fan of fortepianos.

Other performances I own:

plus the one in the Philips Complete Works edition which I can't remember otoh.

The piano quartets are among my very favorite Mozart works.

And while I am at it, I've been listening to nothing but Mozart in the last few days and I could listen to nothing but Mozart all day long for a long time without ever getting bored or feeling the need for a change. His music is as passionate and dramatic as one could wish for, but in a subtle way and in a concise manner (he can go from joy to sorrow and back in the space of a few bars). There's also a bittersweet melancholy in so much of his works that few others were able to match --- in fact, besides Schubert and Chopin I'm not aware of any other. Yes, ultimately he is a cheerful, merry, jolly and life-affirming composer --- and what's wrong with that, I wonder? Bottom line, he is my desert island composer hands down. 8)

I'm looking at you, Cesar, while typing --- and you know only too well why.  >:D  :P
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2021, 08:07:04 AM
Thank you too, Dave, that PBS & FQ version looks enticing, although I am not a fan of fortepianos.

Other performances I own:

plus the one in the Philips Complete Works edition which I can't remember otoh.

The piano quartets are among my very favorite Mozart works.

And while I am at it, I've been listening to nothing but Mozart in the last few days and I could listen to nothing but Mozart all day long for a long time without ever getting bored or feeling the need for a change. His music is as passionate and dramatic as one could wish for, but in a subtle way and in a concise manner (he can go from joy to sorrow and back in the space of a few bars). There's also a bittersweet melancholy in so much of his works that few others were able to match --- in fact, besides Schubert and Chopin I'm not aware of any other. Yes, ultimately he is a cheerful, merry, jolly and life-affirming composer --- and what's wrong with that, I wonder? Bottom line, he is my desert island composer hands down. 8)

I'm looking at you, Cesar, while typing --- and you know only too well why.  >:D  :P

8) - agree Andrei - I have more Bach & Sons and more Haydn, but Wolfie is still one of my favorites, too.   :)  Dave