People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

NP:

Debussy
Estampes
Rafal Blechacz

André

Disc 2, symphonies 3 and 4, Rugby and Pacific 231.

Excellent performance of the 3rd symphony, one of last century's certified masterpieces. Nos as searing as Munch or Mrawinsky, not as towering as Karajan but very intense in a more grieving, less biting way. I'm still feeling my way with the 4th symphony, it's an elusive work. Pastoral and rustic in I, melancholy in II, festive in III. Almost a sinfonietta in its relative simplicity and debonair joie de vivre.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 05, 2021, 03:58:16 PM

Disc 2, symphonies 3 and 4, Rugby and Pacific 231.

Excellent performance of the 3rd symphony, one of last century's certified masterpieces. Nos as searing as Munch or Mrawinsky, not as towering as Karajan but very intense in a more grieving, less biting way. I'm still feeling my way with the 4th symphony, it's an elusive work. Pastoral and rustic in I, melancholy in II, festive in III. Almost a sinfonietta in its relative simplicity and debonair joie de vivre.

Do you like Dutoit better than Karajan?

Symphonic Addict

Other 4 splendid Fourth symphonies:

Sibelius

Vaughan Williams

Taneyev

Alwyn

The winner of these fourths is Sibelius. I hadn't heard this work like that before. It made much sense this time. One of the most poetic and eloquent symphonies I know. Sibelius is such a reliable friend.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2021, 04:26:33 PM
Other 4 splendid Fourth symphonies:

Sibelius

Vaughan Williams

Taneyev

Alwyn

The winner of these fourths is Sibelius. I hadn't heard this work like that before. It made much sense this time. One of the most poetic and eloquent symphonies I know. Sibelius is such a reliable friend.

That Sibelius 4th from Barbirolli is special, indeed. One doesn't come across performances like this one too often.

Symphonic Addict

Goetz: Piano Quartet in E major

A thoroughly charming and memorable lovely work. This quartet doesn't have anything to envy from other greats like Mendelssohn, Brahms or Schubert.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2021, 04:27:46 PM
That Sibelius 4th from Barbirolli is special, indeed. One doesn't come across performances like this one too often.

This Barbirolli set is a treasure. I've been quite impressed by what I've heard so far.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2021, 05:39:34 PM
This Barbirolli set is a treasure. I've been quite impressed by what I've heard so far.

8)

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 3
Norma Procter (contralto)
Ambrosian Singers, Wandsworth School Boys Choir, London Symphony Orchestra
Horenstein

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini, op.32. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
Twenty-Four Preludes, Op. 34
Olli Mustonen

From this set -

Bachtoven

Linz

I am now listening to Tchaikovsky's Christmas Ballet The Nutcracker with Ansermet

MusicTurner

Quote from: VonStupp on December 05, 2021, 01:31:51 PM
PI Tchaikovsky
Symphony 1 in g minor 'Winter Dreams', op. 13

Seattle Symphony - Gerard Schwarz

What a sweet choice for a cover painting. Discogs informs that it's 'Shrovetide' (1916) by Kustodiev. BTW he also painted Chaliapin (1921); there's a good little Wiki article on that portrait.

Selig

MusicTurner

Quote from: Selig on December 05, 2021, 09:31:42 PM

Fabulous Monteverdi recital.

'Tancredi & Clorinda' - one of Monteverdi's finest, most expressive works, for sure.

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2021, 01:49:51 PM
The Hindemith is a stronger piece, in my view. I rank it highly!

I will persevere with a very good David Oistrakh recording on Decca.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

ust plain wonderful sacred music. Schnittke:Psalms of Repentance Pärt: Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis
Estonian PCC , Putnins.
SACD surround at a friends place (5 gutted big nCore powered Magnepans supported by a double bass array).
Great BIS sound. Wonderful singing. A moving experience on a Monday morning.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 05, 2021, 02:44:55 PM
+1. Especially I like the recordings of Oistrakh/Hindemith and Gertler/Ancerl "every day."  ;D

I have both recordings on my shelves.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.